Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Pull Off a Look

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
Angelicious said:
Black will make you look like an advertising executive, logos will make you look like a post-grunge retro devotee, and avoid polo shirts; they'll make you look like an anthropology professor.

Just some food for thought... [angel]

And just what is wrong with looking like an anthropology professor, hmmmmm??

Aspiring anthropologist,
Jeremiah

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
Now there we go! I have a very soft spot for real knickerbockers! I do own three pairs of them and do wear them with great acceptance!

Go Knickerbockers!!!

=WR=

yes Root, but you were thrown in at the deep end with a very character-building experience ( i'm referring to your infamous Toys 'r' Us episode ).

for the rest of us knickerbockers are still a very daunting prospect. ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
yes Root, but you were thrown in at the deep end with a very character-building experience ( i'm referring to your infamous Toys 'r' Us episode ).

for the rest of us knickerbockers are still a very daunting prospect. ;)

God gave us "grapes" for a reason, let us not forget that! Wear what ever you want, where you want and if any one says you're weird, say: Thank you! I'm glad I don't look like every one else!

The Toy's R Us thing was really funny, I didn't feel bad at all, I enjoyed the experience and reflect on it as having shown people of our day and age that a morally straight male of young age could stroll into a retail store in period clothes with no real reason to wear them other then the fact that I just love the period.

Continuing to happily confuse the masses,

Sincerely yours,
=WR=

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Kinckerbockers are more a sport thing from what I can tell. They used to wear them in golf, while riding a bicycle I aslo once saw a sign with a race track guy from the 20's lowering a checkered flag wearing a white and black checked cap, red coat, tan knickerbockers and white and black checked socks. It looked great!

knickers.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
ArrowCollarMan said:
Kinckerbockers are more a sport thing from what I can tell. They used to wear them in golf, while riding a bicycle I aslo once saw a sign with a race track guy from the 20's lowering a checkered flag wearing a white and black checked cap, red coat, tan knickerbockers and white and black checked socks. It looked great!

Well, yes and no. They were worn at most sporting events but it was for a wile in the 20's to the 30's a casual type of wear. I've seen men wear them at parks and doing simple casual things. It was also leisure wear in those days. Think it was kind of how some of us wear shorts, it's just comfortable clothing.

Later years, knickerbockers were worn mostly on the golf coarse... not any more... shame!

=WR=

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Throwing in my two cents...

Arrow,

I'm certainly no expert, especially compared to the fine gentlemen who are already helping you here. But, I just thought I would add a tip that I've learned from my husband who is often in suits or "dress" military uniforms for work.

And that is: take the time and the little extra money to have your suits and jackets fitted by the tailor. I'm not talking about a whole custom-made suit--just maybe hemming, or little nips and tucks there. It is usually fairly inexpensive, but can really make the world of difference in how your outfits will fit and hang on your body.

I often look back at pictures from the golden age and the men look so sharp in their suits, much better than most men do today in a modern equivalent. I think a main difference is that the clothes seem to fit so much better back then. They usually weren't just pulling something off a rack and wearing it--things were often custom made or tailored to their body.

A little off-topic, but another example is modern military uniforms. Most service members today have their "service" and "dress" uniforms highly tailored (some even custom made.) They do this because of strict standards about how the uniforms should fit. I know my husband is a tyrant about how his uniform fits--the break in the trousers, sleeve length, fit in the shoulders, etc. It's a lot of attention to detail, but the result is just a perfect sihouttte. He really stands out next to a man in an everyday suit that was bought off the rack. Sure, sometimes you can get lucky and get a great fit off the rack, but I feel strongly that nothing compares to what a good tailor can do.

Good luck, and keep following your heart,

Jessica

Zach R.

Practically Family
If you are worried about what your peers think, just progress in stages like I did(seriously). :p

It wasn't planned, it was just a natural progression:
I started with ditching the jeans and tees, went to khakis/casual button-downs/tennis shoes (untucked), to khakis/dress shirts(tucked)/tennis shoes, to khakis/dress shirts/dress shoes, to slacks/dress shirts/dress shoes, to slacks/dress shirt with a tie/dress shoes and now no one would bat an eye even if I came in with a tuxedo on.:p

Like so many others have said, just project(and feel) confidence and no one will say anything.

I just turned 18 less than 15 days ago, btw.

Wild Root

Gone Home
ArrowCollarMan said:
hw27943.jpg

I am also aware that knickerbockers were a sign of youthfullness. From little things I've gathered it was apparently a big deal for a boy to "come into" long pants.
d5_1_b.jpg
Well, well, I must say, I'm impressed! For a young man of your age to know that is very rare! I've known about that tradition since I was 19 or so... I'm impressed.

=WR=

Mike K.

One Too Many
You could always do a complete change of look over summer vacation, then come back to school a "new" person. I've seen it done successfully before. This way you won't have to gradually work into the new look. Just go for it, all the way, "to the hilt." Don't back down once the new school year starts. Set the trend!

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I was thinking about vintage or "period" hats. I came up with these two.

skimmer.jpg

Very 1920's! I think I would prefer a winder brim and lighter straw with a simple black band (maybe a stripe, depends on color).

vhs-homberg.gif

This isn't the best example of this kind of hat but its the only one I saw on the Village Hat Shop website that wasn't terribly "pimpin". What is this type of hat called?

Mike K. said:
You could always do a complete change of look over summer vacation, then come back to school a "new" person.

That could be done. Its harder to get summer wear though. Lots of clothes in Southern California's summer isn't the greatest idea. There are good summer materials like linen...I'll look into it. Gots to have the vest though.

By the way, whatcha guys think of these character's outfits I drew (a while back, mind you).

herringbonekid said:
Baron, who's the chap above with the bike ?

No idea. Some guy in New York. He appears halfway, or so, down the latest sartorialist blog page.

Yes, knickers are daunting. I haven't the "grapes" (thanks Root for the vintage term) in this town, but when i get to a big city ... they'd best watch out. Mr. Knickerbockers is coming to town!

I think knickerbocker encompasses all the plus-types (fours, sixes, eights).

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
The hat's names are..

Mr. ArrowCollarMan, the hats you pictured are as fallows...

Straw Boater/skimmer.

Felt Homburg. (The Homburg is a hat that's very similar to a fedora but, has a rolled and bounded edge brim much like a Derby, they're soft like a fedora but, no snap brim.)

The drawings are cool man, you have a talent! I draw too; I'll have to post some of my drawings soon.

As for summer wear, a good way to go is linen pants, two tone shoes, a nice sweater vest (You know how hot it gets here, might do with out the vest!) and a nice button shirt with a tie or no tie. A nice linen news boy cap would look good too!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points