Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to travel with hats

For those like myself who have taken to wearing a cowboy hat quite often, how do you travel with your cowboy hat when on an airplane? I know you can use a hat can, but I really would like to avoid using one if possible. What is everyone’s suggestions? Thanks!
I've flown a lot wearing a Western hat on board. When I want to take it off I fold down the drink tray & cradle the hat between the front of the tray & the seatback in front of you. Really any brim 3 or 3-1/4 & up will fit perfectly. And if it happens to be a foldover divided tray where you don't have to have it open all the way, all the better.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Take along a plastic bag to wrap it in. A, in case you have to put it on the floor under your seat and B, to go through x-ray. I've had more hats scuffed, crushed, and stained going through the 2 minutes at security checkpoints than I ever have had on the plane ride itself. As Brent said, I usually go with fedoras rather than westerns. My unlined Mayser is durable and tough but light weight and easy to recrease without steam. It has become my international travel hat for the past 4 years - Ireland, Singapore, Paris, Germany, italy.

20201029_040251.jpg 20200724_134555.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I've flown with felts and straws - all fedoras, not Westerns, mind - never had a problem. Thrown them up in the OH locker with my jacket and that's been it. Never had to put them under my seat, though it makes sense to carry a plastic bag for that just in case. Once or twice I've tucked a brimmed hat into a hat box in my hold suitcase, and just worn a cap in transit. Always used that latter method when taking a boater anywhere. Never had a hat lost or damaged yet.

Olivier

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I’ll be travelling to Montréal, Canada soon … a short 27h from Melbourne.
I’d like to board with my loved Akubra cattleman but I’m worried it could be damaged during the flight … does anyone have a good idea or experience to share ? Thanks heaps !

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I mean, it's an Akubra, so there's probably not much that could happen that could not be fixed by steam, but if you are really concerned, get a hat case.

It's about as convenient as you would imagine carrying another piece of luggage would be, but it'll protect your hat.

Monte

A-List Customer
If you wear it, an airport employee will have you remove it and they'll touch it and check under the sweat. It is unpleasant but should not damage it to speak of.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If you wear it, an airport employee will have you remove it and they'll touch it and check under the sweat. It is unpleasant but should not damage it to speak of.

Hmm, this may be dependent on the individual airport/agent. I've never had anyone check under the sweat. I have put hats through the xray machine for sure.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
I wear hats when I travel and have never hat an issue. It makes for a great accessory with a bloody mary at any airport bar.

When seated on a flight I just use the hat to cover my eyes and sleep.

Hi Everyone,

I’ll be travelling to Montréal, Canada soon … a short 27h from Melbourne.
I’d like to board with my loved Akubra cattleman but I’m worried it could be damaged during the flight … does anyone have a good idea or experience to share ? Thanks heaps !

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
They're probably looking for those $20s they keep hearing about behind the sweats. Or they're FL Members trying to get a peek at the re-order tag.
Yeah they just don’t get it when i say “Don’t touch my hat”!!
Then i pull out my pocket mirror to show them behind the sweat band.
Probably explains why i’m on the “no fly” list.
And then those private body searches...sheez!!
B

Hmm, this may be dependent on the individual airport/agent. I've never had anyone check under the sweat. I have put hats through the xray machine for sure.
Yes, I take it off at check in so they can reconcile me to my passport pic, take it off passing through the screening and again when they check my pic at the boarding gate. No one has ever inspected the hat or band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21