Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humongous photo on wall of two men wearing fedora's

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I couldn't let this pass, and made a quick picture of a gigantic photograph of two men busy in what looks to me like a brewery? I dunno.. I also don't know the origin of the photo and in what year it was taken.. Looks like it could be in the thirties? It's a wall in a lobby of an appartment building.

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

Corky

Practically Family
My guess is they're near a generator in an electrical power plant.

genset_3-346x383.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Maybe...

Mad scientists bent on world domination tweaking their eeeevil death ray machine generators?

It is interesting to me how the formality of dress has changed. We see all those great photos of sporting events from the mid to early 1900s where people were wearing suits to watch a simple baseball game, for instance. Or photos of streets or leisure activities (like boardwalk photos) where everyone seems to be dressed to the nines.

Today people all too often don't even dress nicely for CHURCH for cripes sakes.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Mobile Vulgus said:
Mad scientists bent on world domination tweaking their eeeevil death ray machine generators?

It is interesting to me how the formality of dress has changed. We see all those great photos of sporting events from the mid to early 1900s where people were wearing suits to watch a simple baseball game, for instance. Or photos of streets or leisure activities (like boardwalk photos) where everyone seems to be dressed to the nines.

Today people all too often don't even dress nicely for CHURCH for cripes sakes.

Indeed. As a kid in Chicago in the 1950s I can remember my mom dressing to the nines (complete with long gloves) just to go shopping on a Saturday afternoon, together with my grandmother. They'd go to the big department stores, usually to Wieboldts.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
date

the man in the light coat has very well maintained shoes...the soles are also very thick...looks modern. could this be a staged photo?

what do you think of that- look at the soles of his shoes, or both their shoes for that matter.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Corky said:

genset_3-346x383.jpg

DING-DONG!! that's it! how could I be so ignorant.. the place where this building is situated was a former powerplant.. the building next to this building is also called 25kV-building...

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
cybergentleman said:
the man in the light coat has very well maintained shoes...the soles are also very thick...looks modern. could this be a staged photo?

what do you think of that- look at the soles of his shoes, or both their shoes for that matter.

the shoes look 'old style' workers to me.. double or triple soled? I dunno, didn't pay too much attention to that. Staged? could be a promotional photograph, but it's most def. taken in an earlier era.. I'm trying to find historical facts and figures but am having a hard time at this..

Warbaby

One Too Many
cybergentleman said:

Industrial safety shoes?

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Snap

I find it interesting that neither of them have snapped their brims...
Was it common not to snap the brim at some time?[huh]

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
jdbenson said:

I am guessing that the hats are up and out of the way because they need to see better. If they were outside trying to keep the sun out of their eyes, it might be a different story

Close inspection shows the gent on the right has a winged collar. I believe that fell out of favor by the 1940's, based on the cut of the suits and the hat styles, my guess would be late 20's to early 30's time frame. Cool photo.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
jdbenson said:

Perfectly common.

This photo showing Edward G. Robinson was taken from the 1944 movie 'The Woman In The Window'. Note the hat.

femme-au-portrait-1945-05-g.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR