Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humongous photo on wall of two men wearing fedora's

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
jdbenson said:
I find it interesting that neither of them have snapped their brims...
Was it common not to snap the brim at some time?[huh]

Extremely common, particularly among the middle-aged and older men. There was a time when the brim up all around was considered more conservative.

I doubt that photo was posed or staged or modern. If a photographer was staging the photo he would have the model remove his coat and would get that workman out of the background.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
BanjoMerlin said:
Extremely common, particularly among the middle-aged and older men. There was a time when the brim up all around was considered more conservative.

I doubt that photo was posed or staged or modern. If a photographer was staging the photo he would have the model remove his coat and would get that workman out of the background.

I agree, about the 'staging' part..

carldelo

One Too Many
Dynamo

It looks to me like a couple of engineers checking the tolerances on the shaft of a dynamo in a powerplant. Work shoes used in electrical areas commonly have thick insulating soles - supervising or operating engineers would probably wear a dress shoe version, whereas machinists or other workers would normally be wearing boots.

PS lately I've been finding that I forget to snap my brim down in front unless it's sunny. Indoors or at night, I think a snapped brim has no utility, other than an aesthetic one, of course.

xwray

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
What you don't know about how hot dogs are made...

:p

Truer words were never spoken...

When I was *much* younger in the late forties there was a place in Smithfield Va on the James River where a packing plant for a well known meat company was located. In those days waste was often discharged into the river. There were piers there where the waste was discharged and fishing was excellent for obvious reasons. My dad took me with him a few times where I once saw them making hot dogs!

Suffice it to say hot dogs lost a place in my culinary intake for 50 years or so.

Several years ago, for whatever reason, we started fixing hot dogs on Sunday nights after church...I found a couple of brands that I trusted were not prepared like those I saw being prepared all those years ago.

I have to say I really like 'em now?

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
xwray said:
Truer words were never spoken...

When I was *much* younger in the late forties there was a place in Smithfield Va on the James River where a packing plant for a well known meat company was located. In those days waste was often discharged into the river. There were piers there where the waste was discharged and fishing was excellent for obvious reasons. My dad took me with him a few times where I once saw them making hot dogs!

Suffice it to say hot dogs lost a place in my culinary intake for 50 years or so.

Several years ago, for whatever reason, we started fixing hot dogs on Sunday nights after church...I found a couple of brands that I trusted were not prepared like those I saw being prepared all those years ago.

I have to say I really like 'em now?

Thinking of what Dan Ackroid told John Candy about hotdogs in "The Great Outdoors!":)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
150719541 said:
Mi opinion: It is a single photo of an industrial plant, fixed or riged with a double exposure with a 35mm camera, what a times¡¡¡¡¡
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Why in the world would you think it's 35mm? At that size and detail (and age), it's almost certainly from a large format camera - we're talking 4x5 or 8x10 sheet film. 35mm blowups that size typically have grain like cannonballs!

(Even today's superior modern films can't be enlarged that much. Believe me: I shoot with Minox subminature cameras and know the limits of enlarging a small negative.)

suitedcboy

One Too Many
The hats (including Edward G Robinson's) all look like Homburg's with little roll on brim. IS that what they are or did fedoras of the pre-war days have more roll at brim edge?
I caught the end of an old movie on THIS network the other day and the hats worn by several in that movie looked like these hats too but there were several snapped brim feds in the movie with no edge roll.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:
The hats (including Edward G Robinson's) all look like Homburg's with little roll on brim. IS that what they are or did fedoras of the pre-war days have more roll at brim edge?
I caught the end of an old movie on THIS network the other day and the hats worn by several in that movie looked like these hats too but there were several snapped brim feds in the movie with no edge roll.

That hat Robinson is sporting in the photo is definitely not a Homburg. It's really just a fedora with the brim snapped up.

Look at the hat Edward Woods is wearing in the photo below (taken from The Public Enemy, 1931). Quite the snap in the back and at the sides.

ennemi-public-1931-04-g.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
suitedcboy said:
I think that Edward G. Robinson wore a homburg in the movie Cincinatti Kid with Steve McQueen. Can't be sure but I think so. Apart from that movie, I think he just wore regular type fedoras.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The hat on the left appears to be a fedora with the brim snapped up.

Regarding the hat on the right: the brim is curled slightly, it has a center dent, it is pinched in the front and has a contrasting (darker) ribbon. I believe it is a homburg.

As previously mentioned, that is electrical generator equipment - not much of a surprise if the image is Dutch.

Also, I don't think the relatively good condition of the shoes is indicative of anything except, maybe, that they were either recently purchased or lightly worn. If anything, the proportion of shoe-to-man stood out to me. Either that man is short with size 10's, or he's average with size 13's.

I might mention that the man on the left appears to be considerably younger than the one on the right. It's difficult to ascertain much with a profile shot - but perhaps this is father and son?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
danofarlington said:
I think that Edward G. Robinson wore a homburg in the movie Cincinatti Kid with Steve McQueen. Can't be sure but I think so. Apart from that movie, I think he just wore regular type fedoras.

EGR can be seen with Homburgs in a lot of his movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff