Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Humphrey Bogart

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Janurary 14, 1957. Hi all, I didn't see this listed, so I thought I'd post that Humphrey Bogart died today 50 years ago. Great entertainer and still greatly missed!!:fedora:

Travis

Suspended
I just watched We're No Angels this morning. There's either something very strange going on, or maybe I just watch Bogart movies too often. Who knows? Anyway, R.I.P.

Hondo

One Too Many
waingirl said:
Hi all, I didn't see this listed, so I thought I'd post that Humphrey Bogart died today 50 years ago. Great entertainer and still greatly missed!!:fedora:

Time sure flies, 50 years! R.I.P. Mr. Bogart, greatly missed :(

MikeBravo

One Too Many
doh!

I want to kick myself

Just 20 minutes from my home is the Astor Theatre, a beautiful art deco theatre which shows heaps of great oldies on the BIG screen.

Today I noticed they had a double billing on Jan 7th - Casablanca, followed by The Maltese Falcon!!

My two most favourite movies in history

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I will have to content myself with North by Northwest and Dial M for murder on 28th January

Travis

Suspended
MikeBravo said:
I want to kick myself

Just 20 minutes from my home is the Astor Theatre, a beautiful art deco theatre which shows heaps of great oldies on the BIG screen.

Today I noticed they had a double billing on Jan 7th - Casablanca, followed by The Maltese Falcon!!

I will have to content myself with North by Northwest and Dial M for murder on 28th January

Does the name of the theatre have any relation to Mary Astor?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Travis said:
Does the name of the theatre have any relation to Mary Astor?

Not that I know of. Astor seems to be a fairly common name for theatres, particularly in UK. Besides, I think it predates her; built in the 20's I believe.

Though it is fitting she is in The Maltese Falcon which is on at the theatre

Lancealot

Practically Family
MikeBravo said:
I want to kick myself

They did those two on the big screen in the park last year at spring. It was great first time I got to see them on anything besides television.

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Maltese Flacon 3 disc set

I bought the 3 disc Maltese Falcon set from Amazon and it arrived this week. I popped it in the dvd player, tuned on the television, and prepared myself for disapointment. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but I have a widescreen, flat-panel, plasma television, and old movies do not usually play very well. Either the picture is distorted and stretched to fill the screen, or I have to alter the aspect ratio of my television leaving black space all around the picture. Not this time. This transfer was a widescreen transfer, and it was BEAUTIFUL. It may have ben a little late, but I was definitely celebrating, and I didn't even realize it was Bogart's birthday.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Archie Goodwin said:
I bought the 3 disc Maltese Falcon set from Amazon and it arrived this week. I popped it in the dvd player, tuned on the television, and prepared myself for disapointment. Don't get me wrong, I love the movie, but I have a widescreen, flat-panel, plasma television, and old movies do not usually play very well. Either the picture is distorted and stretched to fill the screen, or I have to alter the aspect ratio of my television leaving black space all around the picture. Not this time. This transfer was a widescreen transfer, and it was BEAUTIFUL. It may have ben a little late, but I was definitely celebrating, and I didn't even realize it was Bogart's birthday.

That decides it. I've got to order that set. I have the single disc version already and have been on th efence about getting the 3 dis set.

Thanks for making me spend more money Archie ;)

Travis

Suspended
Lancealot said:
That decides it. I've got to order that set. I have the single disc version already and have been on th efence about getting the 3 dis set.

Thanks for making me spend more money Archie ;)

I second those sentements exactly.

griffer

Practically Family
Out of the blue one night, a very non-retro woman declared that my mock laugh was a dead-on for Sydney Greenstreet. I was bowled over.

maltesefalcon117.jpeg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, Bogart was one of the greatest, no doubt about it!
But for me personally he does absolutely nothing :eek:
I know what I say must be close to blasphemy, I must be the only person in the world to say such a thing. C'est la vie... [huh]

Lancealot

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Yes, Bogart was one of the greatest, no doubt about it!
But for me personally he does absolutely nothing :eek:
I know what I say must be close to blasphemy, I must be the only person in the world to say such a thing. C'est la vie... [huh]

It's okay we want vote you off. Nobodys perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart