Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I did it... I bought a hat.

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Well I found one that I liked today and I hope it fits good. I am a 7 1/8" and from what I can find on line, that is a large size for this Dorfman-Pacific hat.

Well, here it is... I hope I like it, I paid $35 shipped of e-bay, I do like the color and style so we shall see if it fits me and my head. What do you guys think?

fedora-1.jpg

fedora-2.jpg

fedora-3.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Firefyter-Emt said:
What do you guys think?

Well, since you asked! I have two comments:

01) That is definitely, positively one of the better wool-felt hats I've seen posted here.

02) The purchase would make more sense to me if you were a much larger size in which there weren't so many great selections of vintage fur felt hats on eBay to choose from. At 7 1/8, the vintage hat world is virtually your oyster. Take advantage of that! Lord knows I can't with my 7 5/8 melon! :)

Dewhurst

Practically Family
You realize that this will probably only be the very tip of the beginning of purchasing hats?:p

Or, at least, that is what happens to most people on here after they get their first hat!

You are for sure a 7 1/8? Most of the time, Dorfman Pacific hats in Large are either 7 1/4 or 7 3/8 (its a crap shoot, you'll just have to find out when you receive it). So, you may have to pad the sweatband with some felt strips or whatever you want.

Either way, congrats, congrats!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Thanks Matt... I will be keeping an eye on the vintage stuff, I am a bit of a nut of the quality of stuff made in the 1950's and prior. I tend to acquire stuff from that era in so many facets of my life. I was looking at vintage hats on the bay when I found this one to be honest... and thanks for the input, it's good to know the hat was a good buy.

I want to "test the water" and see if I like the hats before I get too involved! Although, my office is done in a 1940's theme and built around a nice old oak desk from that era... a hat tree might be nice in a corner!~ lol

MattJH said:
Well, since you asked! I have two comments:

01) That is definitely, positively one of the better wool-felt hats I've seen posted here.

02) The purchase would make more sense to me if you were a much larger size in which there weren't so many great selections of vintage fur felt hats on eBay to choose from. At 7 1/8, the vintage hat world is virtually your oyster. Take advantage of that! Lord knows I can't with my 7 5/8 melon! :)

MattJH

One Too Many
Firefyter-Emt said:
and thanks for the input, it's good to know the hat was a good buy.

Sure thing! It is a nice hat. Keep it dry, though -- wool tends to stink a bit and lose some shape when it gets wet. And you should post a picture of this 1940's themed office of yours. I want to see!

Firefyter-Emt

Familiar Face
Yes, I think that the 7 1/8" will be pretty dead on. I used a dress-makers tape measure to measure my noggin and came up with a tight 22" to a normal 22.25" and my hair is a bit on the long side right now. (A close buzz cut that has grown out for a week or so.) Looking at the measurement range the medium listed I think that would be way too tight.

And as a guy that tends to "collect things" I have already gotten the "look" from my wife. It's that same look I got when that new boxed Parker 51 fountain pen set came in the mail. :eusa_doh: She did not understand why I needed one to match the gray ink I bought. (I do try to keep my pen collection to fit my 24 pen case though) lol I do think more hats could be in the future~

Matt, I will try to get some photos up. I am re-working my office right now and it's in a bit of disaray, but will be worth it when done. I built a "bump out" in the wall behind my desk to hide my printer & computer. I do have a flat screen monitor & laptop on my desk, but I also work out of my home office.

Here is a photo just after the storage was built. What you do not see yet, will be the 36"x24" vintage looking map that is framed and hiding the hole. It will be mounted on full extension drawer guides and raised with cables and a car window motor remotely from my desk. It will be so dang slick when it's done~ Once I have that finished I can start the repaint on the walls and the floor will have a new subfloor that raises it about 6" and insulates it. On top of that will be a laminate hardwood floor. I do have plans to bump the outside wall out about 5' to enlarge my office to about 12x14 when all is said and done, but I might not get that done this summer. It depends on how the finances go. When I do enlarge the office, I will be able to do a bit more with it, like a reading nook, built in book case and a nice vintage 1930's console radio. This would be a narrow floor standing version with a slight mod to allow me to feed streaming internet radio to it. Think old time radio theater and detective shows.

My desk will be refinished this summer but I wanted to get some of this stuff done before I dug into that. The addition of my work lap-top allows me to work without the desk. The computer and all the wires will be housed neatly inside that box in the wall. A wire chase will feed out of the box and dump the wires in a nice oak rimmed port in the wall behind the desk. No wires will be seen under the desk when I am done. I will start a new post when I get the wall finished, painted and my map installed on the wall. I can't wait to finish it!~

228091.jpg

PS, here is the map going on the wall. The walls will also be a redish copper tone.
www.yankeetoys.org/lee/32092.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
Firefyter-Emt said:
And as a guy that tends to "collect things" I have already gotten the "look" from my wife.

From guitars to shoes to IBM "Model M" clicky keyboards to fedoras, I know that look very very very very very very well. :)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, Firey.

I don't always lead with, "You should get vintage hats" because some folks are dead set on everything being new. But from the interests you mentioned, you are a shoe-in for some of the tremendous '40s hats available on Ebay and The Fedora Lounge Classifieds.

Keep typing up posts until you reach the requisite number needed for Private Messaging other members and the you'll be wheelin' & dealin'.

G'luck with that starter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic