Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I finally got my hat :)!!

D00R

One of the Regulars
me and my mom took a trip to Brooklyn to Bencraft Hatters

they were so helpful in there, they were impressed with my knowledge of hats, i told them that i was learning by coming to this messageboard and from searching the internet for what i wanted.

i was going there intentionally for the Alessandria hopefully in a light gray, i made a new friend with Seph, he helped me find the hat i was looking for, and introduced me to a hat i never knew of, i ended up walking out with the Tortona, its more suple softer hat, with a wider brim.

the Alessandria is a nice hat but i felt more comfortable in the Tortona.
i chose the taupe color, to me it looks like a brown. they only had silver gray in both hats, but i liked the brown the best.

me4sc8.png

me01xg7.png

i may go back for the alesandria in the steel gray, just to have a different style hat from the Boralino family. there is another hat store that they mentioned in the city that i actually saw but it was closed. they charge a lot for hats but they also replicate vintage hats which interests me, since open crown hats aren't available. so i might go back there for a second or third hat [huh]
Bencraft hatters also hooked me up with a nice price, the hat was 200 but they knocked it down to 160, i didn't know this until i was looking at the catalog they gave me when i left. Really nice people there..

thanks everyone who helped me and welcomed me to this board.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good on ya'!

D@mn nice hat!
Looks great on you too. I dunno what your size may be but I would urge you to consider a vintage borso (or two). The Alessandrias come up with some frequency & you wouldn't believe how they feel, like a cloud.
I like yr. brim treatment especially much. Our man Douglas introduced me to that. Apparently it dates from the 20's.
Keep 'em coming! I am sure this is but the first of many.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Congrats Door, it looks good on ya!! You are right Rick, one of the more famous shots of Al Capone was wearing a white/off white fedora with one side down, other up. In modern day it might be known as the "Depp" look.

Enjoy

D00R

One of the Regulars
i had to get a 7 3/8
i tried on smaller sizes but they just looked propped on my head i didn't like it.
im not sure if i can find a vintage hat in my size :( but id love to have one, i want mine to look more beat up and softer then new but i like how nice it looks its a really good color.
i would love an ash gray, but i might consider having a boralino open crown hat made in italy, it would cost 250 bucks, but if its open crown and really soft it would be worth it.
this website offers it, has anyone ever bought one from them?
www.petersbros.com

D00R

One of the Regulars
One of the workers there Alan, an older man said that to me that Al Capone wore it the way i was shaping it, i was like woah!

D00R

One of the Regulars
oh yeah the alessandria felt so light on my head, but the brim was much smaller, 2 1/2 the Tortona has a 3 1/4 brim but feels slight heavier.

halpap

New in Town
If you are in New York

You might want to check out Jay Kos on Lexington Ave. They are having a moving sale (they are an upscale men's clothing store) and all felt hats, Borsalino's and Locks, are $100. The hats tend to have small brims but are all open crown and very soft (at leasts the Borsalinos.) You might want to call them to see what sizes they have left before you make a trip, since they are selling out this store to the bare walls.

Feraud

Bartender
halpap said:
You might want to check out Jay Kos on Lexington Ave. They are having a moving sale (they are an upscale men's clothing store) and all felt hats, Borsalino's and Locks, are $100. The hats tend to have small brims but are all open crown and very soft (at leasts the Borsalinos.) You might want to call them to see what sizes they have left before you make a trip, since they are selling out this store to the bare walls.
Lex and what street?

halpap

New in Town
Jay Kos

Its around 72nd street (I think between 71st and 72nd). I am not sure what they have left, but hats seemed to be the item in most plentiful supply.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Jay Kos is closing their Lexington Ave store . As far as I know they have a nice selection of Cervo hats (soon to be available at Bencraft Hats!) . It is a very fine mens clothing store .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

D00R

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys for those comments :)

thanks Halpap, i'll give them a call to see what they have left.

Iv always been into hats but more like top hats and Kangol style hats. but it was never practicle to wear top hat one around...
i never cared much for new fedoras and then i saw Depp's hat and found out more about the open crown and brim widths by coming to this message board and searching the internet.
it really turned me around to felt hats, and its very practical it fit my style as well :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Dig on the lid Door. It looks great! Congratulation on a very nic buy.:eusa_clap
That brim style is also shown on a gentleman on the first few pages of the book "Dressing the Man". It's a very sharp look.

Cheers!

Dan

Bogie

One of the Regulars
Congratulations on a fantastic looking Borsalino, you wear it well. :eusa_clap

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Congrats! You look cool. Bencraft is a destination in itself, isn't it? Funky funky Williamsburg!
I tried the Alessandria myself but settled on the Vintage.

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Looks great on you

That style of hat really works well for you. :eusa_clap It wouldn't work on me, but you wear the style extremely well.

Congrats!
Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo