Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I found ¬? dozen poorly stored Sulka shirts.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Please do not consider that my posting here in The Powder Room is in any way sexist. Women probably have more knowledge of the possible solution to my plight. We Gents took shop in middle school whilst you Women took home economics. Things have surely changed by now but I seek help here on tone as it were.

The A. Sulka shop on Madison Avenue was either going out of business or having a sale and I bought 6 French cuffed shirts about 25 years or so ago. Beautiful goods they are. Problem is that they've been on hangers and have been unprotected . No plastic bags or nutthin'.

The shirts have yellowed at and around the shoulder line. They are all cotton but some are striped and all are of more than one color of fabric. Any information regarding bleach or other treatment to save these super shirts would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like a really stupid mug for not taking proper care of my stuff. Don't get me started on last year's mildew festival...:eek:

magneto

Practically Family
Nice score! I remember fab Sulka ties worn by my great-uncle. Anyway for the shirt, try giving them a soak in "Oxy Clean"--just follow the directions on package. This will be found in the laundry and detergents aisle of your supermarket. This seems to work very well, and is color-safe. Have a search or post back if that doesn't work, there's all sorts of laundry black (er, white) magic that might help (lemon juice, bicarbonate of soda, sunlight, &c &c). Good luck!

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Thanks ever-so-much for your information.

:cheers1: I'll buy OxiClean® on Monday. My Olde Man's gut may now preclude my wearing these Freedom cuffed shirts in which case I'll find a good home for these 15½ x 34 beauties.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Katt in Hat said:

The A. Sulka shop on Madison Avenue was either going out of business or having a sale and I bought 6 French cuffed shirts about 25 years or so ago.

It was a sale. Sulka closed its doors around five years ago.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Sulka was bought in 1980 by Syms.

Syms was chain of discount clothiers. Its owner was Sy Syms and when he retired he had his daughter, Marcy Syms become the CEO and run the show.

Do a Google search to assure yourself of the facts as I have stated them. I guess that the place could have been dissolved yet a second time, 20 years later.

:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Katt in Hat said:
Please do not consider that my posting here in The Powder Room is in any way sexist. Women probably have more knowledge of the possible solution to my plight. We Gents took shop in middle school whilst you Women took home economics. Things have surely changed by now but I seek help here on tone as it were.

Actually I took Printing and Typesetting instead of Home Economics......

magneto

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:

(That sounds great, acually)
Hee! I took Wood Shop (and started Metal Shop, but fainted during the gristly movies they showed on the first day)...which is probably why I'm obsessed with Home Ec stuff now! ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Katt in Hat said:
Syms was chain of discount clothiers. Its owner was Sy Syms and when he retired he had his daughter, Marcy Syms become the CEO and run the show.

Do a Google search to assure yourself of the facts as I have stated them. I guess that the place could have been dissolved yet a second time, 20 years later.

:drum: :deadhorse :drum:

Syms owned Sulka from 1980-89 when they sold to Richemont(Vendrome,Luxco) who expanded the chain before shutting it down in 2001. They moved around Manhattan, you may have caught a moving sale.

Oxy-Clean sounds good but I would suggest that you first test it out on a less prominent(shirt tail) part of the shirt.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tomasso said:
Oxy-Clean sounds good but I would suggest that you first test it out on a less prominent(shirt tail) part of the shirt.

The tail isn't the part that had the staining if you go back to the original. But seriously - don't worry about soaking the whole shirt. We had a tux shirt someone thought they were being helpful with and put in the washer with some bleach. It did something with the interfacing in the placket & collar and they went yellow. Several cleaners tried dozens of different ways to get rid of the yellowing. Nothing worked. Overnight in OxyClean and it's like brand new. I've used it on old table linens of Mom's that had a few little stains and spills from decades ago - but OxyClean did the trick. But if it's something you'd use bleach on anyway - do NOT bleach it until it's been through at least one wash with no OxyClean. A relative thought if bleach took out some stains and OxyClean the others, mixing them together would work great. The combination of the two resulted in complete destruction.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mike in Seattle said:
The tail isn't the part that had the staining if you go back to the original. But seriously

There is sound rationale behind testing the cleaning solution(process) on an inconspicuous area of the garment. If, by chance, Oxy-Clean would have an adverse effect on the fabric the damaged would be mitigated.

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
Report from the Southern Front Soon to Follow...

Am greatly appreciative of your information, comments and general good will and wishes.

(Heaves shirts into pre-soak bain...)
shouts
This one's for Mother!!!.
(An imprecation voiced at the departure of a grenade in grade 'B' WWII flicks and no where else...)

(prays in several faiths none but one my own...)

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
The shirts required 2 treatments and 2 Washes but...

THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL!!! :arated:

The discoloration on 4 of the 6 is completely gone. It is just barely perceptible on the 2 others; they being of lighter hue than the 4. I believe that subsequent normal launderings, i.e. no special measures taken, will entirely cure the shirts of the trauma they have suffered.

I shall practice my ironing for a few hours this afternoon and then sprinkle and have a go at these lovely Sulka shirts.

When I get my hands on a digital camera, borrowed from a neighbor, I'll post pictures for your delectation as well as to give you a chance to critique my ironing prowess.

To those of you who gave me hints, tips and kinks... (I'll always treasure the kinks...) :D

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Good for you

Kat,

Glad to hear the Oxyclean worked. And, should you find that your manly frame can no longer be covered by these shirts, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. ;)

GOK

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:

I did wood and metalwork! lol

Katt in Hat said:
THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL!!! :arated:

The discoloration on 4 of the 6 is completely gone. It is just barely perceptible on the 2 others; they being of lighter hue than the 4. I believe that subsequent normal launderings, i.e. no special measures taken, will entirely cure the shirts of the trauma they have suffered.

I shall practice my ironing for a few hours this afternoon and then sprinkle and have a go at these lovely Sulka shirts.

When I get my hands on a digital camera, borrowed from a neighbor, I'll post pictures for your delectation as well as to give you a chance to critique my ironing prowess.

To those of you who gave me hints, tips and kinks... (I'll always treasure the kinks...) :D

Try washing and then hanging the others out on the washing line in bright sunlight, Katt - that ought to do the trick. Ecover makes a laundry product (called Laundry Bleach) that whilst eco and laundry-friendly, reacts with sunlight to produce a bleaching effect. It's very good.

How was the ironing? :D

Viviene

Vendor
Just to add a bit of information. You can use white vinegar when washing the shirts and it will remove very gently any yellowing or dust very gently with very good results. When laundering items I am going to sell the first thing the washables are soaked in is a white vinegar bath. You would not believe the dirt this removes without any harm to the fabric. Glad the shirts came out so well for you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy