Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The classic flannel-shirts, I am amazed!

Actual, I'm interested in classic flannel-shirts, because there are really nice-coloured ones on german mass-market. I saw specimens, which look like modernized versions of the classic lumberjack-colouring.

So, today, I decided, to make a test and took on one of my two (cotton)flannel-shirts (from 2001), which I almost never used.

I choose the probably better one (nice dark-blue), with thicker material and the flannel-finish on the complete inside, too. I went out, on 13°C, for a photographic walkaround, without jacket, and the shirt was warming incredible! On my return home, I even was sweating a little! I have not expected this!

Now, I want to look on new flannel-shirts on the next visits of clothing-stores. I'm tense, if the new ones got that good flannel-finish on both sides, like my old dark blue-one.
I dichted my other flannel-shirt, which got thinner material and only flannel-finish on the outside, because, I think, that cannot be the authentic shirt.

Flannel-shirts, funny thing... :D:)

IXL

One Too Many
I love my Filson flannel shirts. They almost qualify as jackets. One of them is my go-to shirt for winter days spent outside, tending my big barbecue smoker....and it makes it smell good, too. :D

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another of my wholly irrational vices given my desert adjacent residence. Flat Head, Freewheelers and RRL are among my favorite producers of flannels.

breezer

Practically Family
I bought a perfectly decent flannel in buffalo check from Tesco's for £10. But my current favourite is in black & grey and came form TK Max and cost less that £20.

I've tested mine today morning at 9°C, light windy. It was still ok, but this temperature was the limit at these cold freezy morning. Into the sun, ok, there is no freezy coldness, but into the shadow, there is my between-seasons-coat needed. ;)

But I am still amazed about these flannel-shirts.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Another of my wholly irrational vices given my desert adjacent residence. Flat Head, Freewheelers and RRL are among my favorite producers of flannels.
I wish those guys made larger sizes. I see so many nice flannel shirts,but when the XXL is barely a 46 before a wash, it gets tough. I have managed a Filson, and Pike Bros make great ones in larger sizes too.

You gents might want to compare 100% (washable) wool flannel, from Pendleton. Think, ShortBaldingGuy, and me, as we both wear them pretty regularly in cooler weather. MUCH warmer than cotton flannels. More expensive, but well worth the investment, as they outlast the cotton many times over (just keep the moths away). I actually have three that were my father's. They don't fade. They don't need washing very often, as the natural fibres de-odorize by hanging in the sun; saving time and money! Moreover, the Beachboys, FKA the "Pendletones," wore them on their first album cover, if that matters.

The lighter-weight, non-flannel wool shirts they produce are also TOP shelf, but need dry cleaning, not washing. Again, I have a couple of those in classic tartan patterns that, despite being years old, garner compliments, or often the question of, "did you get a new shirt?"

Check 'em out!

Yes, the wool Pendleton's are super nice. Ralph Lauren also makes some good ones with the classic 40s styling (top button loop and flap pockets). Filson, Cabelas, and Berne all also have some good super heavyweight ones that could easily double as a jacket on cool days.

Peacoat

Bartender
I also have the Pendleton washable wool shirts. Great for keeping warm under a peacoat or a lined leather jacket when the temps drop. I agree they are warmer than the Filson flannel shirts, but disagree that they are more expensive. I just checked Amazon, and the Pendletons are mostly less than $135.00 which is the price I paid for my last Filson.

breezer

Practically Family
Being a tight scotsman I could never pay full retail for a Pendleton - thankfully they are easy to pick up in vintage & thrift stores, and of course ebay. I'm a sucker for the top button loop!

No! NEVER pay retail!! Some of these actually have the size (I.E. 16, 16-1/2, etc.) designations. How old would that be?

DSC02323b.jpg

Thanks Peacoat! I think I have at least three Black watch pattern shirts. A Board shirt, Lodge-type shirt, and a "tropical weight Sir Pendleton." I only grab what's on sale. The "Sir Pens" always look crisp and new, unless you sleep in 'em.

IXL

One Too Many
I have a Pendleton as well as Filson wool shirts. The Filsons are the heavy-weight fabric and are warmer than the Pendleton, the weight of which I am unsure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany