Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have purchased the holy of holies....

mike

Call Me a Cab
it's going to be like air conditioning.. in my trousers!
Well really, for the price even if just the jacket was ok i thought this could be a good buy.

But what I wonder is... does anyone in the Los Angeles area know of a tailor would could do a decent and affordable reweaving? I've never had that done but for the price of this suit, it could be worth it don't you agree?!
thanks ahead of time!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Reweaving you ask?

There is a woman who reweaves, recommended to me by B Black and Sons.
I sent her stuff and her work looks GREAT.
It is Lamb's Reweaving, I think she's on Wilshire Blvd? Under Yahoo yellow pages she is mistakenly listed as reupholstering...[huh]
Anyways, she's good!

Jp

Cool suit - nice history.

Just keep in mind with re-weavers, they have to borrow/cannibalize from other parts of the garment (i.e., underhems, etc.). So if there are too many holes, then some parts just may not be able to get filled.

Reweavers are like tailors - they can make a huge difference, but they aren't miracle workers. Just keep that in mind.

I can't wait to see a finished product, though!!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CharlestonBows said:
Cool suit - nice history.

Just keep in mind with re-weavers, they have to borrow/cannibalize from other parts of the garment (i.e., underhems, etc.). So if there are too many holes, then some parts just may not be able to get filled.

Reweavers are like tailors - they can make a huge difference, but they aren't miracle workers. Just keep that in mind.

I can't wait to see a finished product, though!!

I've had a 1930's suit rewoven, and I told the person which parts to canabalize and made them mark the sections with tape when I was standing there in the shop so there was no misunderstanding. They were rug weavers from Iran and did a fabulous job. (They also thought I was nuts). Just a back-up thought in case the other persons(s) don't work out.

Only now I found that the suit wasn't stored properly and I need the same suit rewoven again! :rage: :rage: :rage:

Vintage Betty

cookie

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
it's going to be like air conditioning.. in my trousers!
Well really, for the price even if just the jacket was ok i thought this could be a good buy.

But what I wonder is... does anyone in the Los Angeles area know of a tailor would could do a decent and affordable reweaving? I've never had that done but for the price of this suit, it could be worth it don't you agree?!
thanks ahead of time!

Thats suit is actually a 44 - with a 23 pit to pit - and 38" strides..

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Iranian Rug Traders

Vintage Betty said:
I've had a 1930's suit rewoven, and I told the person which parts to canabalize and made them mark the sections with tape when I was standing there in the shop so there was no misunderstanding. They were rug weavers from Iran and did a fabulous job. (They also thought I was nuts). Just a back-up thought in case the other persons(s) don't work out.

Only now I found that the suit wasn't stored properly and I need the same suit rewoven again! :rage: :rage: :rage:

Vintage Betty

I once met a guy who was a rug reweaver for all the Persian rugs in Sydney. A highly trained professional...using such a person...what a thought!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
Reweaving isn't cheap. Very very skilled job. My local place charges £45 ($90) per hole. And "a hole" is about 2mm diameter.

bk
Ow! :eek: And I have 2 size 44 U.S. WW2 tropical tunics that need extensive re-weaving,....:( But I'm a DIY type, and used to doing very intricate work,...so maybe I can teach myself?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Baron Kurtz said:
Reweaving isn't cheap. Very very skilled job. My local place charges £45 ($90) per hole. And "a hole" is about 2mm diameter.
That seems to be the going rate in the U.S. as well. I've used this reweaver a few times with excellent results. They are one of the few topflight reweavers in the America and have a national clientele.

mike

Call Me a Cab
jeez... that seems very expensive for a suit that is supposedly "riddled" with holes, but I guess when it arrives I will bring it by Lambs Invisible Reweaving for an estimate and go from there :eusa_doh:

dr greg

One Too Many
holy hell

In this country the practise is known as Invisible Mending, and it cost me $120 for ONE hole about the size of a ciggy burn, but when you look with a magnifying glass you can see the reason why, mine was done by an old Japanese lady, who quoted me $2000 to do the whole suit, so I just settled for the one. She also thought I was mad: "why you not just buy new one?"
Anyway, I bought some superfine wool, and pulled the strands apart to try it myself on a couple of the holes in out of the way spots...forget the DIY my man, I'm a patient guy but my effort looked like crap, it takes YEARS of training to do this, and that's why the skill is so rare today.

mike

Call Me a Cab
hmmm so a $17.50 suit sky rockets to several thousand dollars?! hahaha hmmm well here's hoping the jacket might be wearable on its own... :eusa_doh:

neyus

New in Town
Re-weaving where I live is $45.00 per hole (small one at that). If there is only one or too holes I think its worth the money, but anymore, it just doesnt make sense. Unless you want to restore it over a period of five years, but then you best make sure you wear it afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff