Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Haha! Yep. That looks great, don’t you think?
I like it, but green is one of my favorite colors so my opinion might be a bit biased. ;)

For my personal "wish list" I'd like it if Akubra produced the Fed IV in Whiskey felt with the same color ribbon that they use on the Tawny Fawn or Dark Brown Fed IV. Since that doesn't seem likely I had Tim Mahovich (@Cane Rod Maker, Alley Kat Hat Co.) make a beautiful Whiskey fedora for me back in 2014, with dimensions similar to the Fed IV but "tweaked" a bit to match my tastes. It's my favorite hat, but if Akubra ever produces a Whiskey Fed IV I'd still get one.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
What, something like this?

MWcimBA.jpg

:D

Jeez, if I could purchase a green Fed IV that resembled that, my hat buying days could very well be over.

Maybe a different color ribbon, though. hahahahahaaaaa

Does the FEDIV still have the steel wite thats in the sweatband?
Yes. Either steel or plastic, but the reed is there.
The reeds in my Akubras are made from some sort of plastic, maybe vinyl, but no wire.

Jeez, if I could purchase a green Fed IV that resembled that, my hat buying days could very well be over.

Maybe a different color ribbon, though. hahahahahaaaaa
What, like neon orange? Hot pink? Fire engine red? :p

D00R

One of the Regulars
Anyone ever take out the plastic or steel wire in the FedIV?

Im wanting to order one, but im not sure which site to buy it. Is the David Morgan Adventurer the same fedora on HatsDirect? Is there more websites that sell the Fed?

Anyone ever take out the plastic or steel wire in the FedIV?
I don't know why anyone would want to. As far as I know, there has never been any wire on any of the Federation hats.

...Im wanting to order one, but im not sure which site to buy it. Is the David Morgan Adventurer the same fedora on HatsDirect? Is there more websites that sell the Fed?
No, the Adventurer is a different hat. Unless you buy one used, the Fed IV is exclusive to Hats Direct and they are the only source to buy one.

Last edited:

D00R

One of the Regulars
I saw the David Morgan Adventurer. The specs are open crown 5½ inches, the raw edge brim is 3⅛ inches on the front and back, 2¾ inches on the sides.

The FedIV specs are Brim: 70mm x 63mm (Side), Cut edge. But the HatsDirect doesn’t have the measurment for the crown. Anyone know what the measurement is for the crown height?

The Adventurer is Imperial felt but it costs as much as the Deluxe felt FedIV.
The color for the Adventurer is Mid Brown and the FedIV is Dark Brown.

Anyone have both of these hats? Im torn which to order now.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
https://hatsdirect.com/pages/the-federation-iv

The Federation comes "Open Crown" ready for you to shape. Crown height is 5 5/8ths inches (142mm). Made from an original wooden hat block set which have not been used for over 35 years. The brim is dimensional cut to 2 1/2" (63mm) on the sides and 2 3/4" (70mm) front and back.The brim flange is a little flatter than the previous Federation model and will make styling the brim easier.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I saw the David Morgan Adventurer. The specs are open crown 5½ inches, the raw edge brim is 3⅛ inches on the front and back, 2¾ inches on the sides.

The FedIV specs are Brim: 70mm x 63mm (Side), Cut edge. But the HatsDirect doesn’t have the measurment for the crown. Anyone know what the measurement is for the crown height?

The Adventurer is Imperial felt but it costs as much as the Deluxe felt FedIV.
The color for the Adventurer is Mid Brown and the FedIV is Dark Brown.

Anyone have both of these hats? Im torn which to order now.
The two hats appear to be very similar, the biggest differences being the crown height and brim width. I prefer a little more in the way of brim width, so the Adventurer was my first preference. I haven't yet made a purchase, but I am now leaning toward the Fed IV mainly because of the price. $116 is a darn good price in my book, especially when it comes to fur, and I already own one Akubra and am very pleased with it. Because I'm not necessarily looking for an "Indy" hat that perfectly matches the Indy specs, either of these will do. That being said, the dark brown of the Fed IV seems more true to the color that Indy wore as opposed to what the Adventurer has to offer. I probably won't make a purchase for at least another month or two, but where I sit now I am about 80/20% leaning toward the Fed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D00R

One of the Regulars
Yeah im also torn about the brim width. The Feds 2.5 inch brim seems so short for Raiders look and even personally it feels to short a look for me personally, but its crown looks good.

Its odd I see guys wearing the Fed and the Brim looks wider than 2.5 on the sides. But when I tried on a brim that was 2.5 it looked way to short.

Anyone have the Morgan adventurer?

Last edited:

RJR

Yeah im also torn about the brim width. The Feds 2.5 inch brim seems so short for Raiders look and even personally it feels to short a look for me personally, but its crown looks good.

Its odd I see guys wearing the Fed and the Brim looks wider than 2.5 on the sides. But when I tried on a brim that was 2.5 it looked way to short.

Anyone have the Morgan adventurer?
Hat-Akubra-DM Adventurer 6.jpg
This is an Adventurer;I changed out the damaged ribbon.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Actually, the brown Fed IV is considered too dark for an Indy hat, as compared to other hats that are closer to that Sable color, the Adventurer being one of them.
The brown on the Adventurer offered by David Morgan appears to be much darker than the dark brown on the Fed IV. I know it's hard to get a good feel of color through pictures on websites, but the color of the Akubra that I purchased from DM almost exactly matches what is in the photo. Hats by the Hundred offers a khaki color, which is much lighter than both, but I believe their Adventurer is a different model than the one offered in the States.

D00R

One of the Regulars
The brown on the Adventurer offered by David Morgan appears to be much darker than the dark brown on the Fed IV. I know it's hard to get a good feel of color through pictures on websites, but the color of the Akubra that I purchased from DM almost exactly matches what is in the photo. Hats by the Hundred offers a khaki color, which is much lighter than both, but I believe their Adventurer is a different model than the one offered in the States.

Yeah Im torn. The DM Adventurer costs as much as the Deluxe but it has the Imperial Felt. Kinda puts me off about it.

Actually, the brown Fed IV is considered too dark for an Indy hat, as compared to other hats that are closer to that Sable color, the Adventurer being one of them.
The brown on the Adventurer offered by David Morgan appears to be much darker than the dark brown on the Fed IV. I know it's hard to get a good feel of color through pictures on websites, but the color of the Akubra that I purchased from DM almost exactly matches what is in the photo...
I haven't seen the Adventurer in person, but comparing my Fed IV to the photo RJR posted above...

ApwH7n5.jpg

I'd say the Adventurer in Mid Brown is definitely darker than my Dark Brown Fed. Neither color matches the Sable that was used for the Indy hats, but I do think Akubra's Dark Brown is at least a little closer.

Yeah im also torn about the brim width. The Feds 2.5 inch brim seems so short for Raiders look and even personally it feels to short a look for me personally, but its crown looks good...
According to the Indy Gear website, the brim on the Fed IV is only 1/8" narrower on the sides than the hats used for Raiders. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference unless the two hats were side-by-side; unfortunately, we aren't most people. ;)

...Its odd I see guys wearing the Fed and the Brim looks wider than 2.5 on the sides. But when I tried on a brim that was 2.5 it looked way to short...
The width of the brim isn't the only factor to take into consideration. For example, a 2-1/2" wide brim with a deep flange will look narrower than a 2-1/2" brim with little or no flange because the brim curl will bring the edge of the brim closer to the crown, making it look narrower. And a 2-1/2" brim will look wider on a smaller hat than it will on a larger hat because of the differences in the widths of the crowns. Even a hat with a lower crease can make the brim look wider; it's all in how we perceive the proportions.

That said, you could be right and the Fed IV isn't the "right" hat for you. I think you're doing the right thing by researching all of your options before spending your money on a hat you might not be happy with. I obviously like the Fed IV, but I know it's not the right hat for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana