Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Goose.

Practically Family
Glad to help Ryang. I really like the Capricorn. Wore it for a good portion of the today. Was warm out here (85F).

Cool beans Gilgamark! Was there a pic in the article you can post?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a question about a Fed IV, as I am very much still contemplating getting one.

These are obviously suitable for wearing in rain, but how much of it? English loungers might know what Duke of Edinburgh award is, for those who don't know it is a camping expedition which involves walking around the British countryside in groups carrying everything in a rucksack and being outside regardless of how bad the weather. At my level I will be spending four days in Dartmoor, notorious for nasty weather. It is possible that it rains on all of the four days, so if it is my hat will have to hold up to this. Will a Fed IV be able to stand up four consecutive days of rain (it will be able to dry in the tent overnight) or should I just get my Tilley to be safe? I'd prefer a fedora to a Tilley but only as long as it still looks good at the end.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I'm familiar with the weather you're talking about (half British and living on the eastern most rock in Canada) and I'm an avid hiker. Four days of miserable rain and I'd be wearing my Tilley hat - it's what they were made for. I'm not saying the Fed IV couldn't handle it, but sopping wet all day long I can't see how it can hold it's shape. I'm sure you'll be able to reform it as it dries, but I'm not sure how it's going to look on your head after 8 hours of rain. Just my 2 cents (or pence).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I thought so. Since it's open crowned I don't mind rebashing it every evening (I'd probably temporarily put in a centre dent as it's easier than the diamond-teardrop combination I envisage). But a Tilley does seem a better option for D of E, just to be safe. The Fed can serve as my rain hat every other day of my life.

Goose.

Practically Family
Federation IV Standard Tawny Fawn arrived yesterday. Here it is with my Deluxe Moonstone.

528568501_5vH7S-M.jpg
528568514_77gYF-M.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Thank you rrog and FFF :)

I tried a Maltese, Center, even a Porker...but my head seems to like the teardrop/telescope. Guess that's ok as it now fits in with the uniformity directive of the
Federation Tugboat Fleet Commander ;)

529014064_9x6j8-M-1.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Nice Goose! I'm further behind but on my way. One Fed IV now (Brown), 2 in the mail (Black and Tawny), then two more at the end of the month (Carbon and Moonstone) and then a Deluxe Brown to complete. I am so addicted.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Federation IV Standard Tawny Fawn arrived yesterday. Here it is with my Deluxe Moonstone.

528568501_5vH7S-M.jpg

I think I'd like to get a moonstone Fed. I have a standard in brown. Any thoughts on the deluxe vs. the standard...pro's/cons? Worth the extra $ for the deluxe?

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
I think I'd like to get a moonstone Fed. I have a standard in brown. Any thoughts on the deluxe vs. the standard...pro's/cons? Worth the extra $ for the deluxe?
Thanks Wolfwood, Chuck Bobuck, and FurFeltFedora for taking time to post your kind comments on my Tugboat Fleet ;)

Chuck, right now, the price difference is $45 between the two. Physical difference, as you may know, being the sweatband and fur felt quality.

My first order was for a Moonstone, which was avaiable only in the Deluxe. It was out of stock. Bummed as tons of raves here about the Moonstone. Reluctantly, ended up opting for the Dark Brown Deluxe. When the hat arrived, I was immediately impressed. Soft as heck. And, read the very bottom of this thread for my favorite Akubra.

Ordered a black Standard recently. You can tell the difference in the "feel" of the felt compared to the Deluxe. Have not had the Standard long enough to see how it softens up...but I am certain it will.

There is nothing based on my experience that would prevent me from ordering a Standard. In fact, I'm eyeing the Standard in Carbon...the black I have is cool, but pretty stark and stern looking. (any excuse I can use to convince myself that I "need" another Fed works for me ;)).

However, all things being equal, if the Deluxe was available in Carbon, I'd choose that over a Standard Carbon. Just "feels" better.

Can't say too much about the sweatband difference between the Standard and Deluxe, thought there is a difference, I don't think it warrants a $45 diff. I hope someone with more knowledge and experience between the two lids chimes in...not just regarding the sweatband, but overall build of the two.

Is the Deluxe worth $45 more? I think so. Have no regrets with the Standards I do have, but I like the feel of the Deluxe better. BUT, alternatively, you can get a Standard AND a Capricorn for the price of one Deluxe.

Here’s a “scientific” comparison I just did a few minutes ago for this thread. Somewhat demonstrates the softness/pliability between a Standard and Deluxe. Only support being my two fingers on the bottom of the brim and thumb on top. Neither hat has been in the rain or had the brims water sprayed.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Tawny Fawn = Standard . . . . . . . . Moonstone = Deluxe

529772659_fznPy-S.jpg
529772890_hm6Wy-S.jpg
529773114_ximfn-S.jpg

My favorite Akubra...the one I would pick if I had to pick just one for a "three hour tour" and stuck on a desert isle with Mary Ann and Ginger?
My Federation IV Deluxe Dark Brown...just awesome. Guess ya never gorget your first Federation.

501294938_ztFed-S.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
That's a really neat, simple demo to show the softness difference Goose. That being said, my Fed IV Standard Brown drops just like your Deluxe Moonstone does and I've been wearing it for about 2 weeks now so the Standards do soften up.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Thanks much Goose. I know it's been discussed before, but was curious about your opinion. Mary Ann and Ginger? These days I'm hoping for Anna Faris and Amy Smart. As long as I'm dreaming. ;)

awest84532

Familiar Face
My Federation IV's

Well, I received my two Federation IV's in a very timely manner and am very pleased. I was not as timely with the bashing and photos, but here they are:

The Moonstone:

DSCF1335-1-1-1.jpg

The Carbon Grey:

DSCF1329-1-1.jpg

Side-by-side:

DSCF1338-1-1.jpg

The bashes are a work in progress. I am now trying to figure how to convince my lovely wife the need for the Tawny and Dark Brown Federations. :eusa_doh:

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Agreed, they are nice bashes. I'm no expert by any means, but I've learned that bashes are indeed a work in progress. You play you tweak until you get what you want. It looks great now, no doubt it will be even better with time. Congrats on the hats.

Goose.

Practically Family
Chuck Bobuck said:
Thanks much Goose. I know it's been discussed before, but was curious about your opinion. Mary Ann and Ginger? These days I'm hoping for Anna Faris and Amy Smart. As long as I'm dreaming. ;)
FurFeltFedora said:
That's a really neat, simple demo to show the softness difference Goose. That being said, my Fed IV Standard Brown drops just like your Deluxe Moonstone does and I've been wearing it for about 2 weeks now so the Standards do soften up.
Cool beans gents. Hoped the pics helped somewhat. Those pics are simply initial reprsentations...think I've had the Tawny Fawn less than 48 hours. And the Deluxe, though a few months old, was limp as a cooked noodle right out of the box.
As FFF typed about the Standard (Imperial), they soften up. My David Morgan Akubra Sydney Charcoal Imperial felt is soft as an old sock. Love it.

And I covet that carbon Fed on your head awest84532 :)

Mary Ann ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran