Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

awest84532

Familiar Face
I thought it was interesting, the Moonstone fit just right and the Carbon was on the loose side, both are size 61. The Carbon is fitting better as I wear it and the Moonstone is getting snug. Go figure.

shrinkage

this brings up the same point yet again. it seems that I am not the only one who is troubled by Akubra's "shrinkage" I'm a small 58, so my campdraft is shrinking to perfection, just like the original levi's 501's. but my fed iv is quickly making off my rotation because it's just too small. I tried a hat jack a few times, but I spend so much time trying to repair the brim that it doesn't make it worth it.

any opinions?

awest84532

Familiar Face
Lovely Wife!

Well, my lovely wife decided to look in on the forum. Probably due to the fact she was helping me with the photos last night and got curious. Anyways, she read the post discussing convincing her about a Tawny and Dark Brown Fed IV. I received an e-mail from her saying, "... order the hat(s)," which I promptly did.:whip:

Thank you lovely wife!:D

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
RobFedoraField I've only got the Standard Fed IV right now, but I spent way too much time talking with Jenny at Hats Direct about sizing. This what she told me about the Fed IV...

It's cut about 1/2 size smaller than standard. So my 60 is actually a 59 1/2. I measure a perfect 59 LO and she convinvced me to order in a 60 for the Fed.

I got another Akubra hat (a Traveller) in a 59 and that one is a perfect fit. Now, with that being said, when I first put my Fed on I could stick my ears in it. But after bashing (using steam) I found that it fit better. I stuck in the foam and it was great. A week later I took the foam out of the front and back and only have the sides in. Two weeks of daily wear and the foam is still on the sides and the fit is perfect. If it does shrink anymore I can just take the foam out.

So is your Fed IV a 58 or a 59? If you're a 58 and so is the Fed, you actually have a 57 1/2 which is probably tight. If you are a 58 and your Fed is a 59, that's a lot of shrinkage.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
awest84532 said:
Well, my lovely wife decided to look in on the forum. Probably due to the fact she was helping me with the photos last night and got curious. Anyways, she read the post discussing convincing her about a Tawny and Dark Brown Fed IV. I received an e-mail from her saying, "... order the hat(s)," which I promptly did.:whip:

Thank you lovely wife!:D

Nice! Now, you really need a Campdraft!!! (okay, now leave this thread up and walk away from your computer...tell your wife she better not look at the screen...ok, NOW!) :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Here’s a “scientific” comparison I just did a few minutes ago for this thread. Somewhat demonstrates the softness/pliability between a Standard and Deluxe. Only support being my two fingers on the bottom of the brim and thumb on top. Neither hat has been in the rain or had the brims water sprayed.

529772659_fznPy-S.jpg
529772890_hm6Wy-S.jpg
529773114_ximfn-S.jpg

My favorite Akubra...the one I would pick if I had to pick just one for a "three hour tour" and stuck on a desert isle with Mary Ann and Ginger?
My Federation IV Deluxe Dark Brown...just awesome. Guess ya never gorget your first Federation.

Goose, I just did the grab the back of the brim test that you did. My Fed IV is a dark brown standard, and it didnt even hesitate before it flopped down, exactly like your deluxe. IOW, it did not stick straight out like your standards. Maybe its because I wear it as much as I do.

awest84532

Familiar Face
Chuck Bobuck said:
Nice! Now, you really need a Campdraft!!! (okay, now leave this thread up and walk away from your computer...tell your wife she better not look at the screen...ok, NOW!) :D
I know, I have it bad!

RobStC

A-List Customer
scottyrocks said:
Goose, I just did the grab the back of the brim test that you did. My Fed IV is a dark brown standard, and it didnt even hesitate before it flopped down, exactly like your deluxe. IOW, it did not stick straight out like your standards. Maybe its because I wear it as much as I do.

Yeah, I've been quite surprised at the difference in stiffness between the two Fed IV Deluxes in 58 that I got a month ago from Hats Direct (Moonstone and Heritage Fawn). Both have been worn about the same amount and in similar conditions, but the Moonstone is still much stiffer generally than the Fawn. It feels almost like a Bowler/Derby in comparison..... The Moonstone doesn't really flex when held at the brim as Goose did, but the Fawn flexes almost 90 degrees.

Having said that, both are equally comfortable to wear, and are settling down size wise just that little bit to be a perfect fit (I measure almost exactly a 58).

In all my years of hat wearing, I have never had so many positive comments (from both sexes) as when I'm wearing one of the Feds. :)

Thanks to the FL, I think I've found my ideal general-wear hat!

Rob

Mike K.

One Too Many
FurFeltFedora said:
talking with Jenny at Hats Direct about sizing. This what she told me about the Fed IV...
It's cut about 1/2 size smaller than standard.
Well that explains it. All of my hats are size 59 (7-3/8) and most are Akubras. I normally have to do a little shrinkage work or foam strip inside the sweat band to achieve a good fit. However, both of my Fed IVs are a perfect fit (and hopefully stay that way). I ordered the standard Fed IV - one tawny fawn and the other moonstone. Both are quite soft but hold their shape well. The tawny Fed, for whatever reason, was more difficult to get bashed. I ended up misting the hat with warm water to wet it and shape it. The moonstone hat did not even require steam to shape. All in all, definitely a classy hat...highly recommend getting at least one if you haven't yet.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
My head measures right at 23". My Campdrafts and my standard Fed IV are 59's. They were all a tad large out of the box, but have conformed or are conforming to my head. I've never had to use sizing tape. Jenny did have me measure regularly and once pulling the tape as tight as possible. based on the measurements I gave her, she thought the Fed in a 59 would be fine and it has been. If the Fed is 1/2 cm smaller, it was not very apparent in my case.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My experience was just like yours, Chuck. I'm an exact 23", and my 59 was a bit loose, and some foam on the sides made it fit perfectly. As much as I wear it (a lot) the foam is stll in it and it fits perfectly. I guess different examples of the same hats, even from the same manufacturer, can be sized slightly differently. I know Ive tried on said different examples of the same hats in retail stores that were marked the same size, and they have fit differently.

rrog

A-List Customer
I'm a 58 and the Fed IV fits a little loose on me. So I've put in the foam tape on the sides, expecting it to shrink and conform to my head as everyone says it will. I've been wearing it since November and it hasn't yet. Granted, I haven't been wearing it everyday, but out of the four or five hats that are in my normal rotation, it's seen the most use by far. I'm wondering how long the shrinking and conforming will take before I can throw the sizing tape away. BTW, it's the standard Fed IV and all my other hats fit me well and are 58's.

rrog

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
rrog said:
I'm a 58 and the Fed IV fits a little loose on me. So I've put in the foam tape on the sides, expecting it to shrink and conform to my head as everyone says it will. I've been wearing it since November and it hasn't yet. Granted, I haven't been wearing it everyday, but out of the four or five hats that are in my normal rotation, it's seen the most use by far. I'm wondering how long the shrinking and conforming will take before I can throw the sizing tape away. BTW, it's the standard Fed IV and all my other hats fit me well and are 58's.

rrog

I pulled down the sweatband on my 1st, Tawny Campdraft and gently, quickly steamed around the inside and outside at the base of the crown with just a tea kettle. That and wearing it in the rain and snow seemed to really help. I've worn it more than my Fed or my Grey CD, so it has really conformed. I've worn the others a little loose and they do seem to have shrunk a little bit. I wouldn't want to wear them on a gusty day. I could have used sizing tape, but never did.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
rrog - I've still got some tape in the back of the Fed III that I got in 2003, so don't hold your breath!

My three other Akubras also started a little big, but quickly conformed to my size. I don't know what it is about this Federation, it's the same size (57) as the others.

Also, despite being through plenty of rain and snow over the years, it's still considerably stiffer than I believe a fedora ought to be. While it's not quite as stiff as my country hats (Cattleman and Stockman), it's much stiffer than my Stylemaster. Frankly, it just FEELS much closer to a country hat than a dress hat: partly from the stiffness, and partly from being so tall/wide...

Sorry to disrupt all the Federation love, but for me, the Stylemaster definitely works much better, fedora-wise.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
One other thing Jenny told me was that it's not the felt that shrinks so much (although under the right conditions it will) it's the leather sweatband.

I've heard steaming the leather band can shrink the fit but I would hate to shrink it too much. I didn't like using the foam, but now I look at it as an insurance policy.

rrog

A-List Customer
Doctor Strange said:
Sorry to disrupt all the Federation love, but for me, the Stylemaster definitely works much better, fedora-wise.

I'm also sorry for this next comment, but my Stylemaster is much more comfortable to wear. I get way more compliments on the Fed IV, so I wear it more. Plus, I think I look better in it (Must be my resemblance to Harrison Ford lol ). But considering comfort alone, my Stylemaster and Stetsons take the day.

rrog

Goose.

Practically Family
Well, since Doctor Strange and rrog are confessing in a Fed thread...while I like my Fed D Dark Brown as the ONE hat I would take if I could only choose one...I like my Sydney. Just think the Fed Deluxe would hold up better over time.

But my Sydney (Charcoal) is so comfortable and I think looks a bit more subtle. Was thinking of getting a Stylemaster, but thought it, well, looked like a Sydney/Fedora on the HD site so I went with a Bogart. I'm gonna find another thread to discuss questions I have on the Stylemaster.

ANYWAY, I wear a 60. My Deluxe lids are a 60. But I started to order 61 for non-Heritage as I was concerned about shrinkage (felt or band). Well, wearing a 61 I need the foam. But they haven't shrunk yet.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
... After the "new car" smell of the hats goes away, I find the Federation retains it's spot as my favorite....

Just exactly who makes this smell judgment call? You or the Beagle lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy