Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
awest84532 said:
This particular model was manufactured in Colorado with Oklahoma parts, so there were no customs fees or taxes. However, at times the maintenance costs are on the high side!:p

I understand maintenance costs. I guess that's part of the price we have to pay for the things we love.

Trimen1000

New in Town
Dewhurst said:
No, it is fairly inconsequential. The color of the body of the hat is what matters the most when contemplating the reflection or the absorption of the rays of the sun (re: avoiding heat). Otherwise, the question is really liner or no liner, in which case no liner does make a modicum of difference.

As far as the liner goes. I've actually heard that black is able to dissipate the most heat in a given period of time. So it might possible even keep you a little cooler to have a black lining. Just as long as it's not a black body.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
In that case my Stetson Chatham (black lining) does not have a disadvantage when compared to the Fed. Heat wise that is, durability is another matter as I made people discuss in a question thread I posted a few weeks ago.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Trimen1000 said:
I've actually heard that black is able to dissipate the most heat in a given period of time.

As far as I know, black generally absorbs and radiates heat more efficiently than other colors. In a liner in a hat, I would assume the difference is probably minimal at best, making the actual presence of a liner the more significant question (in addition to Nufilm and other tip protectors in the lining).

Still, you never know.;)

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation IV in all colours

Okay, so I've finally got all five Federation IVs lined up in fleet formation waiting for approval from Admiral Goose :)

I've taken a number of shots from a number of different angles and tried to keep everything as consistent as possible so that the colours are represented accurately.

So there they are....

Straight on, L-R Tawny Fawn, Brown, Moonstone, Carbon, Black:

3599452784_3018a69f3b_b.jpg

Slight overhead to show the creases, note how they are all a little different despite the fact that I was doing them all the same way:

3599447118_176002b002_b.jpg

Straight on in a "V" pattern, L-R Carbon, Moonstone, Brown, Tawny Fawn, Black:

3599463046_7ba3d76dfe_b.jpg

Same but from slightly overhead:

3598654475_dd2c154d32_b.jpg

And two shots down the side, F-B Tawny Fawn, Brown, Moonstone, Carbon, Black:

3598642459_37eda6d699_b.jpg

3598640729_2822c6f530_b.jpg

Okay, now that you can see the colours allow me to bore you with observations on the Federation IV...

Despite the fact that they are all Federation IVs they are all a little different in texture as well as size. BTW, they are all size 60 as the Federation IVs are about 1/2 size smaller than listed. I'm a 59 LO so for me I use a dowel against the sweatband and some steam to make it LO and then two 3" strips of foam on the sides to get the fit I want. So here's my opinion on different Fed IVs in the order of most favourite to least:

Brown - Medium stiffness out of the box, after a couple of weeks of wearing it's butter soft (not vintage, but still really nice). Most versatile of all the colours (IMO). I've worn it to work, I've worn it with jeans, shirts, T-shirts, and even a hoodie. It looked good all the time. My "only one hat" hat.

Tawny Fawn - Medium to High stiffness out of the box, still fairly stiff. Seems to have a slightly taller crown than the others, and a little bit bigger overall (required an extra piece of foam at the back). A very good hat in the summer as it goes well with lighter clothes.

Moonstone - Very soft out of the box, getting softer all the time. Very versatile as well, but works better with slightly more dressy clothes than casual.

Carbon - Medium stiff out of the box, slowly getting softer. Incredibly difficult to crease. Don't ask why. I think the height is different from the others I have and it just didn't seem to want to go the way I wanted it to. Slightly more limited with what you can wear with it. Works better with darker clothes than lighter one.

Black - Medium stiff out of the box, got softer very quickly. Least versatile of all the hats. Goes well with something dressy or if you want to look threatening other than that, not so much works with it. Not for me anyway and not compared to the others.

Well I hope this helps folks out. When I first starting posting here a couple of months ago and didn't know jack I was trying to find a single post that had all the Fed IVs compared in it, so I hope I'm able to contribute to FL with this.

Anything else you want to know, just let me know.

Cross posted in the "Akubra Overload" thread.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
What a display!!!

Dear FFF:

You should offer your services to market Federation IV hats! What a great, great display of your hats, and how nice to see all the colors lined up against each other. It's a beautiful collection. Thanks for taking the time to take these great pics and share them with FL.

One question...what is your source for the nice looking hat stands on which each hat is sitting? I'd love to pick up a couple of those myself.

Mark

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Mark thanks for the comments but I don't think I'll be working for Akubra anytime soon :) I took those shots strictly for comparison for FL folks like you and I. If I were doing it pro (which I've done a little of) there would be a LOT more time spent at getting the shots just right.

As for the stands, I'm afraid they will be hard to come by - I made them all. Long ago and far away I used to build custom hand made furniture. So when I needed hat stands I just went downstairs and made them. Two solid oak circles (7" for base and 4 1/2" for top), oak dowel connecting them with a walnut wedge - it ain't ever coming apart :)

3599525304_659e05d234.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
High praise indeed coming from the Fleet Admiral Goose :) Thanks a lot, but it was your help and kind assistance at the beginning that got me to go Fed IV wild. So this is as much for you as anyone.

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
FFF, fantastic pictures. Really makes me want to go and buy one.

O have a few questions for you, if you don't mind. Are those the standard or the deluxe models? Is that the shape straight out of the box or did you reshape them? When you say the height of the Carbon is different, do you mean taller or shorter?

Thanks.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Avedwards - I found no difference between any of them in rain. That being said I wasn't out for that long. Walking around the parking lot in a heavy rain, that sort of thing. Honestly can't say how they would hold up from a full day of rain but I would suspect nothing short of an oilskin or stiff cowboy hat could handle all day rain anyway.

DragonJade - They are all Standard Fed IV's. I never saw a need for the Deluxe series. The creases are all my doing, the Fed IV is an open crown so they all come of the box domed and flat brimmed. As for the Carbon I think it's a touch shorted than the others, or maybe a touch taller. I can't really tell you because I didn't measure it before I started on the crease. It's just that of all of them I seemed to really have a hard time getting the heights and teardrop the same heights as my other Fed IVs. Either way, it wasn't a big difference - maybe 1/4 inch?

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
FurFeltFedora said:
The creases are all my doing, the Fed IV is an open crown so they all come of the box domed and flat brimmed.

Wow. You've done an amazing job. Very professional.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
Okay, so I've finally got all five Federation IVs lined up in fleet formation waiting for approval from Admiral Goose :)

I've taken a number of shots from a number of different angles and tried to keep everything as consistent as possible so that the colours are represented accurately.

So there they are....

Straight on, L-R Tawny Fawn, Brown, Moonstone, Carbon, Black:

3599447118_176002b002_b.jpg

Ive been thinking about getting a carbon, but that tawny fawn looks reeeeally good.

Goose.

Practically Family
DragonJade said:
... Are those the standard or the deluxe models? Is that the shape straight out of the box or did you reshape them? When you say the height of the Carbon is different, do you mean taller or shorter?

Thanks.
DJ...here's a pic of two Feds. The Tawny Fawn represents how they all look right out of the box. Also, the Tawny is Standard. The Moonstone is Deluxe.
My other Deluxe is a Dark Brown. Here's a pic (shameful by comparison to FFF's) that shows them together in another thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=801485&postcount=946

Oh, and you can see in the linked pic that the Tawny Fawn crown sticks up a bit more though the front/rear bash dimensions are the same amongst all the lids. The Tawny was just a bit taller out of the box. Took some more work, but I finally got it to where it's supposed to be.

528568501_5vH7S-M.jpg

scottyrocks said:
Ive been thinking about getting a carbon, but that tawny fawn looks reeeeally good.
ScottyRocks...I would also go Tawny Fawn over the Carbon. It just seems more classic or unique to me. But, having a Dark Brown already, maybe you want to move to the dark side and get that Carbon? Tough call.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I must say that I'm suddenly very interested in that Tawny Fawn as well. Looks darn good!

The Deluxe is available in Heritage Fawn, btw. Does anyone have a good comparison shot of Heritage and Tawny Fawn together?

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Campy - it's not Santa's name you need to call, it's Jenny or Deb at Hats Direct - they're enablers :)

Wolfwood - the Tawny Fawn is a good colour and it grows on you too.

Now does this mean I'm going to have to get a Heritage Fawn just to round out all the Fed IV colours? My girlfriend is going to kill me if I do :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy