Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Edward

Bartender
One of my earliest hats since I got seriously into this game was (and still is!) a MkIII Fed DLX. They're great hats. My sole wish (in common with a number of other hat brands) is that they would move away from a white liner. Probably due to my shaved head, but I find a white liner gets grubby fast. Black or even a dark blue, red or any other colour would be better.

I'm about due a new Fed, though - I really think I "need" one in moonstone, though I wish they'd also produce them in bluegrass green like the Campdraft.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my earliest hats since I got seriously into this game was (and still is!) a MkIII Fed DLX. They're great hats. My sole wish (in common with a number of other hat brands) is that they would move away from a white liner. Probably due to my shaved head, but I find a white liner gets grubby fast. Black or even a dark blue, red or any other colour would be better.

I'm about due a new Fed, though - I really think I "need" one in moonstone, though I wish they'd also produce them in bluegrass green like the Campdraft.
My first federation back in 2001 had a red liner. Didn’t show the grime neatly as quickly. My second is a Federation III Deluxe from 2005 ish and the same as yours. Grimy white liner and About due for a new one. They are great hats and last a good amount of time.
Johnny

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
My brown Fed 4 keeping me worthy of being seen next to the Mrs the other day!

Attachments

• E2677A2F-7873-4435-ABD5-9EFA006DDF59.jpeg
    E2677A2F-7873-4435-ABD5-9EFA006DDF59.jpeg
    912.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 3EE7676E-F71F-4B38-96A0-10E610BC7CFD.jpeg
    3EE7676E-F71F-4B38-96A0-10E610BC7CFD.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 8CA95E74-3C5C-42C7-A4BA-D25A1BF57D54.jpeg
    8CA95E74-3C5C-42C7-A4BA-D25A1BF57D54.jpeg
    723.3 KB · Views: 102

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Oh, yes: it 's the cosmetic factor I'd be after.
Yes, I agree completely. Since I started balding and began to trim my hair to 6mm, the liners have got grimy faster. Relatively easy to fix (at least mostly) by tossing it into the washing machine every now and then, but a darker colour would help with the visuals.

Art Hat1

One of the Regulars
Any advice as to stubborn liner removal? I’ve attempted to carefully pull the liner out of my brown Fed IV and it is mostly out, however there are two rather stubborn spots where Akubra seems to have done a rather good job with the glue and it’s stuck.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I agree completely. Since I started balding and began to trim my hair to 6mm, the liners have got grimy faster. Relatively easy to fix (at least mostly) by tossing it into the washing machine every now and then, but a darker colour would help with the visuals.

In the interest of longevity, I put my liners into an Oxi-clean and warm water solution for a few minutes, then rinse, and then lay them out to dry.

The thought of them getting pummeled in a washing machine doesn't appeal to me. O-C gets stuff really clean with no trauma.

And my liners never go in a dryer.

Edward

Bartender
I confess, I've never thought to try and remove the liner for washing, although I have considered replacing it with something like a plain black or scarlet. Washing might be a good first step...

@scottyrocks When you remove the liners for washing, do you tack them back in place, or do you find they behave just fine tucked into the sweatband?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I confess, I've never thought to try and remove the liner for washing, although I have considered replacing it with something like a plain black or scarlet. Washing might be a good first step...

@scottyrocks When you remove the liners for washing, do you tack them back in place, or do you find they behave just fine tucked into the sweatband?

I've actually done it four ways - stitches, glue, double-sided tape, and just tucking. With the first three, 4 spots usually suffices.

They all work. Sewing is the most time consuming. Glue is a bit more permanent than tape. Tucking needs occasional adjustment. FedIV liners are glued so I usually go with glue or tape for those.

Edward

Bartender
I've actually done it four ways - stitches, glue, double-sided tape, and just tucking. With the first three, 4 spots usually suffices.

They all work. Sewing is the most time consuming. Glue is a bit more permanent than tape. Tucking needs occasional adjustment. FedIV liners are glued so I usually go with glue or tape for those.

Thanks. Is there anything I should watch when removing - i.e. is it easy to damage the felt? Oh...and what kind of glue do you use to reattach - a dab of fabric glue?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. Is there anything I should watch when removing - i.e. is it easy to damage the felt? Oh...and what kind of glue do you use to reattach - a dab of fabric glue?

Fabric glue would be best. I've used a dab of Elmers with no ill effect.

When removing a glued in liner I use a seam ripper to gently remove as little felt as possible while separating the liner from the felt.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I just got back from a week in Arizona, visiting family and enjoying some warmer weather. My Fed IV was the hat I took with me for the trip. It is one of my favorite modern hats for sure. The desert was super green because it's been quite a wet spring for them.
20230320_112930.jpg
The old Route 66 makes for some fun site seeing.
20230323_140645.jpg
We also took the kids to a zoo in Phoenix, it only felt right to go see the kangaroos while wearing my Fed IV.
20230324_105519.jpg

Last edited:
I just got back from a week in Arizona, visiting family and enjoying some warmer weather. My Fed IV was the hat I took with me for the trip. It is one of my favorite modern hats for sure. The desert was so green it's been quite a wet spring form them.
View attachment 502408 The old Route 66 makes for some fun site seeing.
View attachment 502409 We also took the kids to a zoo in Phoenix, it only felt right to go see the kangaroos while wearing my Fed IV. View attachment 502410

Are the Roos all napping or did you just tell them some falling-down funny joke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana