Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Michiganiac

New in Town
A Fed IV is on my list.

Brown first, because I'm an Indy fan first.

Then the Heritage/Tawny Fawn has grown on me a lot, mainly through the pics of other peoples'. The website pics don't do it justice.

Then Carbon, then Moonstone. Maybe a black one? Then at the end I'm sure it will be time for a new brown one.

Michiganiac

New in Town
Also, I haven't even bought the hat yet, and their customer service is outstanding. They've made notes about my sizing and will set aside applicable hats when the deliveries come in.

If I'm not ready to buy when the next ones arrive, they keep my notes and we wait for the next delivery.

Good group.

Who?

Practically Family
Also, I haven't even bought the hat yet, and their customer service is outstanding. They've made notes about my sizing and will set aside applicable hats when the deliveries come in.

If I'm not ready to buy when the next ones arrive, they keep my notes and we wait for the next delivery.

Good group.
I guess I missed it, who is “they”?

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
A Fed IV is on my list.

Then the Heritage/Tawny Fawn has grown on me a lot, mainly through the pics of other peoples'. The website pics don't do it justice.

Then Carbon, then Moonstone. Maybe a black one? Then at the end I'm sure it will be time for a new brown one.
The moonstone is a really nice color.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
A Fed IV is on my list.

Carbon is underrated.

But you know, part of the fun of owning multiple hats, is owning multiple hats. I know this is the Fed IV thread, but you might consider a different model to mix it up or have a more casual hat.

Michiganiac

New in Town
I've got a couple others. My Scala straw, my Pedleton Wool Felt, my Tilley, my Beaver Research* baseball cap, my balmoral bonnet.

At some point I'm sure I'll add a flat cap or two (they've been a staple of my Dad for years).

*Beaver Research is a local cleaning system and chemical product supply laboratory. Their hats are famous 'round 'ere.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A Fed IV is on my list.

Be aware that although seemingly close in pictures, the Heritage and Tawny Fawns are noticeably different once upon a head.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Be aware that although seemingly close in pictures, the Heritage and Tawny Fawns are noticeably different once upon a head.
In what respects? Also, I'm colorblind so the differences may be too nuanced for me.
I purchased my tawny fawn back in 2017 so the color might have changed a bit, but there is a big difference between its color and my heritage fawn color. Other than the color (since you say you can't see that anyway, Michiganiac), the heritage hat is noticeably better felt and a markedly better sweatband.

The heritage felt is the gray one on the right and the tawny is the brown one in the left.

This heritage fawn has one of the most attractive color combos in my collection: the felt reminds me of a smoky marble and the ribbon has a wonderful copper tint to it.

DF786A06-08F1-42A3-93E0-54069B468630.jpeg

0B3F8EDC-94F4-458E-8F65-9FE23FB84A80.jpeg

13A1D54F-38BE-4D25-A049-4097D99ECFDC.jpeg

Another note on the sweatbands: the heritage sweatband is one of the most comfortable sweatbands ever made once it's broken in (a hyperbolic statement, I'm sure, but it's really darn comfortable!). Certainly few modern sweatbands compare from factory lids, and honestly it is more comfortable than almost all of my vintage sweats.

Michiganiac

New in Town
Well the two shown together like yours is handy. I can see that difference. But on the company website they may as well be the same.

To be honest I like the looks of the tawny better. Looks like it would go well with blue clothing.

You know, if they offered the Fed IV with a 6” open crown, a 3” non-dimensional brim with a bound edge and used “molds like clay” 100% beaver for the felt they would have the perfect hat. Just a few tweaks away! ;)

I’ve owned at least three Feds and I’ve never been able to get the hats to work for me. It looks great on others, but it just doesn’t work on my head. I see others here wearing them and I keep wanting to try one again. :confused:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Well the two shown together like yours is handy. I can see that difference. But on the company website they may as well be the same.

To be honest I like the looks of the tawny better. Looks like it would go well with blue clothing.
The heritage has a more urban feel to it, whereas the tawny has more of an adventure feel. But that could just be because it's actually been around the world with me. I haven't had the heritage long enough for such shenanigans.

But the quality difference is noticeable in my opinion and the extra money for the heritage is worth it.

A few shots in the tawny fawn from the Himalayas about six years ago:

901DB6CD-7002-4C9E-93E2-7E2A99BE7961.jpeg

7FA5BFEC-71F1-4F83-A3F9-E60F10AE9A88.jpeg

FFB5C8AF-C9EF-44E5-BFA4-4064ED7D625E.jpeg

F066EE66-4D4A-4DEB-AD86-D898B7BB047A.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
You know, if they offered the Fed IV with a 6” open crown, a 3” non-dimensional brim with a bound edge and used “molds like clay” 100% beaver for the felt they would have the perfect hat. Just a few tweaks away! ;)
But then it would be nothing like an Akubra or a Federation IV or even a great entry level lid (because it would be darn expensive)!

Personally, I love a dimensional brim. Business in the front and back, party on the sides.

My custom Northwest is a thin ribbon dimensional. Here it is in a rain dance outside of Moab, Utah.
61505B89-ED0F-4072-9568-57383E0F38DB.jpeg

quikrick

One Too Many
But then it would be nothing like an Akubra or a Federation IV or even a great entry level lid (because it would be darn expensive)!

Personally, I love a dimensional brim. Business in the front and back, party on the sides.

My custom Northwest is a thin ribbon dimensional. Here it is in a rain dance outside of Moab, Utah.
View attachment 537384
Aside from the cool hat... That is an AWESOME PIC!!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I was actually expecting the hat they show on the website when I ordered the heritage fawn a few months back. So I was pleasantly surprised when I received the one shown in my photos. But maybe the surprise would not be pleasant for everyone.

I assume they simply used the imperial grade Fed IV photos for the heritage grade Fed IV page, because I do not see any difference in the photos on the website. But there is clearly a difference.

They really should update it.

Michiganiac

New in Town

I’ve owned at least three Feds and I’ve never been able to get the hats to work for me. It looks great on others, but it just doesn’t work on my head. I see others here wearing them and I keep wanting to try one again. :confused:

That would be the Akubra Dreadnought, or something. You should email it to them as a suggestion.

If their cust. service is anything like The Hattery Katoomba they'll at least listen.

View attachment 537384

Yeah…probably not a big market for a $400 Akubra. :)
I just wished it worked for me, and of course you’re right that its niche is as an affordable open crown fur felt hat.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Yeah…probably not a big market for a $400 Akubra. :)
I just wished it worked for me, and of course you’re right that its niche is as an affordable open crown fur felt hat.
Honestly, I can’t imagine you having trouble getting under any hat. You have the most eclectic collection in the Lounge and you wear all of them well. Is it the dimensional brim that makes it feel awkward?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I swear I'm not trying to just jump in and besmirch the Fed IV. I kept mine for a long time as a rain hat and it served me well. But what I ultimately preferred about other Indy style hats was that they had a deeper flange. Since it was before I had a flange set up, I spent a lot of time on my Fed IV trying to give the edge of the brim a little bit of roll. But this is a personal preference thing, not a mark against the Fed per se.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner