Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Honestly, I can’t imagine you having trouble getting under any hat. You have the most eclectic collection in the Lounge and you wear all of them well. Is it the dimensional brim that makes it feel awkward?

The dimensional brim isn’t a favorite, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. My problem is the Fed IV looks great in smaller and medium sizes, but at 62cm the crown isn’t tall enough for me and the brim is just a bit too narrow. It’s alright, but I’m at the point where I’m not keeping “alright” hats. I’m focused on no compromise hats. I have room for rugged rabbit fur felt hats, but the shape, dimensions, and styling have to be spot-on and the of course it has to me comfortable. The modest crown height, the a bit too short brim, and the felt quality all lead me away from the Fed IV and most Akubras. I have no problem fully recommending Akubra hats, but most of them just aren’t for me personally at this point in my hat collecting. I’m still looking for another Akubra Sombrero, but I’ve divested my collection of most of my other Akubras.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The dimensional brim isn’t a favorite, but it’s not a deal breaker for me. My problem is the Fed IV looks great in smaller and medium sizes, but at 62cm the crown isn’t tall enough for me and the brim is just a bit too narrow. It’s alright, but I’m at the point where I’m not keeping “alright” hats. I’m focused on no compromise hats. I have room for rugged rabbit fur felt hats, but the shape, dimensions, and styling have to be spot-on and the of course it has to me comfortable. The modest crown height, the a bit too short brim, and the felt quality all lead me away from the Fed IV and most Akubras. I have no problem fully recommending Akubra hats, but most of them just aren’t for me personally at this point in my hat collecting. I’m still looking for another Akubra Sombrero, but I’ve divested my collection of most of my other Akubras.
As a size 7 I have trouble wearing larger brims, so I get what you’re saying except from the other angle.

I have my stock of Akubras for now and I’m also at the point with my vintage collection where I am only after specific felts (unless it’s a ridiculously good deal). I don’t go in for imperial Akubra felt anymore, but the heritage Fed IV and Campdraft and the superfine quality safari hats will always have their place in my collection.

Michiganiac

New in Town
One of the questions I asked the Katoomba team was about sizing up.

Heard the leather sweat bands in Akubras can shrink if you use it as an 'activity' hat. Which I plan to do.

I asked if the half size up would be enough or if I should consider a 63.

They said they'll earmark a hat for me that's a "roomy 62 or a small measuring 63" when the order comes in.

One of the questions I asked the Katoomba team was about sizing up.

Heard the leather sweat bands in Akubras can shrink if you use it as an 'activity' hat. Which I plan to do.

I asked if the half size up would be enough or if I should consider a 63.

They said they'll earmark a hat for me that's a "roomy 62 or a small measuring 63" when the order comes in.

Very cool! The women at The Hattery know what customer service is.

Michiganiac

New in Town
The heritage has a more urban feel to it, whereas the tawny has more of an adventure feel. But that could just be because it's actually been around the world with me. I haven't had the heritage long enough for such shenanigans.

But the quality difference is noticeable in my opinion and the extra money for the heritage is worth it.

A few shots in the tawny fawn from the Himalayas about six years ago:

View attachment 537374

View attachment 537375
View attachment 537376
View attachment 537377

I didn't properly congratulate you for those pics. Good hat, good afectations, good backdrop.

Also proves my suspicion that the Tawney goes well with blue(?) clothing.

I hope to one day have such adventures.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I was gonna say that you have a big head (literally, not figuratively), so you'd need a hat with larger overall dimensions.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I purchased my tawny fawn back in 2017 so the color might have changed a bit, but there is a big difference between its color and my heritage fawn color. Other than the color (since you say you can't see that anyway, Michiganiac), the heritage hat is noticeably better felt and a markedly better sweatband.

The heritage felt is the gray one on the right and the tawny is the brown one in the left.

This heritage fawn has one of the most attractive color combos in my collection: the felt reminds me of a smoky marble and the ribbon has a wonderful copper tint to it.

View attachment 537308
View attachment 537309
View attachment 537310

Another note on the sweatbands: the heritage sweatband is one of the most comfortable sweatbands ever made once it's broken in (a hyperbolic statement, I'm sure, but it's really darn comfortable!). Certainly few modern sweatbands compare from factory lids, and honestly it is more comfortable than almost all of my vintage sweats.

And even with the side by side comparison pics, the TF in your photos is a different color than the one I have in my hand.

Note to all: be very wary of any online pictures. Cameras and computer screens can do strange things with colors, especially hues.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
And even with the side by side comparison pics, the TF in your photos is a different color than the one I have in my hand.

Note to all: be very wary of any online pictures. Cameras and computer screens can do strange things with colors, especially hues.
Do you have photos? I'm curious. And do you mean the tawny fawn or the heritage fawn?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Being new to the world of hats, what are the pros and cons of dimensional and nondimensional brims?

I don't really find a functional difference between the two if we're talking about comparing a Fed IV to say a modern Strat or OR, it's an aesthetic choice more than anything. Though on certain stiff hats (i.e. Derby hats) the brim is wider on the sides to accomodate for the curling of the brim.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Being new to the world of hats, what are the pros and cons of dimensional and nondimensional brims?
Dimensional brims are pretty much only a thing in Indiana Jones hats. I can’t say it was invented for Indiana Jones (ladies hats, for example, have always had uniquely cut brims) but the dimensional brim fedora definitely made its mark as a result of the Indy films.

I am the only person I know with a non-Indy dimensional brim bespoke hat. I just love the jetliner look of the brim. With one exception (the Akubra Squatter) every other hat that I have ever seen with a dimensional brim has specifically been an Indiana Jones clone.

Ostensibly, you get more weather protection in the front and back while having a less obtrusive hat on the sides. It has never, ever made a bit of difference for me so far as space saving (maybe if you hang your hats close together on a wall?).

My problem with dimensional brims is this: if the hat is not wide enough on the sides, then once the brim is set to the traditional fedora style with side flanges you lose all weather protection on the sides. A LOT of Indy clones come in 2 5/8 in front and back and 2 3/8 on the sides. For me, that is way too small on the sides - my ears would get wet and sunburned.

The Fed IV is as small as I will go for a dimensional brim, with the sides right at 2 1/2 inches. For a larger choice, David Morgan sells the Akubra Adventurer with 2 3/4 in sides, but then it’s a very large 3 1/8 in front and back.

I personally find my custom Northwester to be perfect with 2 7/8 front and back and 2 5/8 sides.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Dimensional brims are pretty much only a thing in Indiana Jones hats. I can’t say it was invented for Indiana Jones (ladies hats, for example, have always had uniquely cut brims) but the dimensional brim fedora definitely made its mark as a result of the Indy films.

I am the only person I know with a non-Indy dimensional brim bespoke hat.

Other than the aforementioned use on stiff hats, it did pop up here and there, but it is certainly true that they are few and far between. I don't have a good pic of it, but my Penman has a dimensional brim.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Other than the aforementioned use on stiff hats, it did pop up here and there, but it is certainly true that they are few and far between. I don't have a good pic of it, but my Penman has a dimensional brim.

Do you mean you have a dimensional Penman that is not an Indy clone? Cause I’ve seen tons of Penman Indy hats - in fact, some voice in my head wants to say Penman had something to do with one of the movies at some point?

And I’m glad you showed that ad - it reminds me that I also saw a vintage ad for one of the major brands marketing hats that were shorter on the sides.

But I’ve never seen an example.

I also saw a vintage ad for a brim that was larger in front than on the sides and back, so I guess it’s true that everything has already been done.

Michiganiac

New in Town
I bet it will. I have a fairly round face and the more modest dimensions don’t look best on me.

If you’re a size 61.5cm why are you considering a size 63cm hat?
Another testament to their cust. service, I explained my fears of disproportionate head to hat appearance, and they sent a picture of Pat wearing one.

Apparently his noggin is similar to mine.

He looks great in it so my fears have been dispelled.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Do you mean you have a dimensional Penman that is not an Indy clone? Cause I’ve seen tons of Penman Indy hats - in fact, some voice in my head wants to say Penman had something to do with one of the movies at some point?

Correct, well, technically it's a pork pie now, but originally modeled on the Public Enemies Dillinger hat. Dimensional cut, either that or it's a a f-up that he figured I wouldn't notice haha.

Penman inherited the Adventurebilt brand and blocks from Steve Delk who made the Crystal Skull hat, but John was not involved with the film hats.

Streak

New in Town
Greetings all.
I have two Akubras - Blue Mountains in Bluegrass and the Tablelands in Brown Olive, size 59 (7 1/4). This whole quest started a few years ago after watching the Justified series.
I have a fairly narrow face and hesitated before getting the larger Blue Mountains after already having the tablelands. However as you can see, despite being a born and raised Rhodesian - I have very fair skin and wanted a hat that could offer better protection against the sun.
I am busy watching Justified city primeval and again it has spurred me on to look for my next hat. The rough Rider was the one that came to mind first having that real western look. However when I Saw that the brim is even bigger than the Blue Mountains I figured that it really would not look good on me. I started figuring that I would go in the other direction and look at a Fed IV as a winter hat (such as winter is in Southern California) and one that I may keep in my garaged car to wear instead of a cap that I usually use every time I exit the car.
My plan is to go for one of the deluxe models and to bash it myself.
As always I look to the experts here to let me know if my thinking is sound!
Any color suggestions would be useful too.
Right now there is no stock in my size. When there is stock I want to make sure I have finished with my research.
20230806_130246.jpg 20230806_130302.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails