Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Okay, so here's a different question for everyone.

What color is your satin liner?

My tawny FedIV has the fairly standard white liner, as did my original moonstone one (which had to be returned due to a brim problem). My new moonstone FedIV arrived about a week ago and, to my surprise, the liner was not white but a very interesting CHAMPAGNE color...sort of a pinkish-gold! I seem to recall seeing FedIV photos around here showing black and even a red liner, so now I'm curious. Does anybody have unique liner colors inside their FedIV hats?

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
What color is your satin liner?

My tawny FedIV has the fairly standard white liner, as did my original moonstone one (which had to be returned due to a brim problem). My new moonstone FedIV arrived about a week ago and, to my surprise, the liner was not white but a very interesting CHAMPAGNE color...sort of a pinkish-gold! I seem to recall seeing FedIV photos around here showing black and even a red liner, so now I'm curious. Does anybody have unique liner colors inside their FedIV hats?

Howdy Mike -

Neither of these is a Fed of course but that said...

I got an Akubra Kiandra off eBay some time back. The liner was a golden color - not pinkish but you might describe it as the color of some white wines, perhaps deeper...it also had a label indicating it was bought at The Strand hattery, which I understand is an Akubra outlet store of some kind in Sydney.

I have another Akubra, a black western called "The Rodeo" - and I've never found any reference to such a model. Has a fairly straight-sided tall crown and bright red liner. Said it was made expressly for Outback Trading Co. in Pennsylvania. Trimmed the brim back a bit on that too.

So they seem to have some liners around in other than glacial white!

- Bill

Mike K.

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
So they seem to have some liners around in other than glacial white!
- Bill
No doubt about it. That's why I thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion. I also had a Stylemaster with a gold liner.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Quick interruption to mention outside of hat - yesterday we had a pig roast, so of course we got the first day of rain in Seattle since Spring, but....My Fed IV Deluxe received a good rain test, and came through shining.

It got wet enough to have the bash 'fine-tuned', and now it's even nicer than ever.

hattrick

New in Town
Goose. said:
Here's a pic to show that I curled the rear of my FIVD. It's slight and has settled down since I did it a few weeks ago. Need to touch it up.
Did it dry and by hand.
Is that the Akubra fed IV deluxe? sweet look - where'd ya get the pin?

hattrick

New in Town
Add me in as another fed fan in the ranks.

I just bought my first Akubra Fed IV Deluxe yesterday. Moonstone.

Can't wait to don it.

hattrick

New in Town
I certainly will, as soon as it gets in, i'll do an "unboxing" set.

Now I have to figure out how to bend up the top and all that. i've got some reading to do.

ChadHoop

New in Town
About to pull the trigger...

I'm really close to buying a FIVD myself. Probably Moonstone, given the rave reviews on this site.

Just received my Gun Club Stetson from Cabella's. My whole life, I've only known Stetson cowboy hats. I'm pretty surprised with the softness of the felt on the Three Forks.

HatTrick, I've been looking for a good hat shop in Dallas too. Can't believe there isn't a good one here. Having seen the Adam Hats roof-top watercooler on the lofts down town, I was sure there was a hat shop somewhere down there. I have been wanting to post the exact same question, but my membership had not been blessed by the Bar-keep.

Cheers!

David Ward

Familiar Face
So my fedIV arrived...wow, I do love it. I was nervous about my first bash but it was a lot of fun, so thanks to everyone who posted tutorials.
I think I fancy the moonstone next - that color would be the famous Raiders 'plane ride' hat, no? Is the bash to that one any different?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I'm gonna suggest here to use the Raiders, or any other hat you like, as a guide, and not an exact template.

I'm a Raiders hat fan. Not an Indiana Jones hat fan, but a Raiders hat fan in particular. Yet, I did not attempt to duplicate the RotLA hat exactly, but molded it into sort of a compromise between exactly what the Raiders hat looked like, and what I thought looked best on my head.

IOW, I didnt study the dimensions of the RotLA hat(s), and painstakingly replicate them, but rather took the general styling cues, and used them in my Fed IV while shaping it for me.

So I suggest, to anyone attempting to replicate any hat, not to worry about exact dimensions, but to use what styling cues you like and make the hat work for you, in particular.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
I'm going to second Scottyrocks comments, I love the Raiders style hat of the 4 Indy bashes (each movie had a different style) and when I bashed my Fed IV I wanted it to look like the Raiders hat BUT I wanted it to look good on me. So I didn't take exact measurements I just studied the look and bashed the hat so that it looked Raiders and looked good on me. You can find the pics of my hat and some basic bashing steps here from a post in the "Indy Bash" thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=812778&postcount=344

Hopefully it might offer some help to you.

Chinaski

One Too Many
And if you haven't looked at Triple F's link on how to bash an Indy hat you're missing out. It's got great pictures with narrative, and he does a great job on the hat. Hats off to Triple F!

Goose.

Practically Family
I'll triple what Scottyrocks typed..."not to worry about exact dimensions, but to use what styling cues you like and make the hat work for you, in particular".

And second what Chinaski wrote..."And if you haven't looked at Triple F's link on how to bash an Indy hat you're missing out".

I don't have an "Indy" bash. Not for any particular reason. But I find at times that I simply look at my Feds on their stands and continue to be impressed with the classic style of them. Not because of anything I have done to them...mine are rook arike...just for what they are. Some folks look at banzai trees, paintings, or whatever. I look at my Feds and they are wierdly soothing to me. Guess I need help.

A great hat that resembles a vintage that I probably could never afford and is, to me, what I'd see if I looked in the dictionary and saw a picture of one next to the definition of "hat".

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
I'll triple what Scottyrocks typed..."not to worry about exact dimensions, but to use what styling cues you like and make the hat work for you, in particular".

And second what Chinaski wrote..."And if you haven't looked at Triple F's link on how to bash an Indy hat you're missing out".

I don't have an "Indy" bash. Not for any particular reason. But I find at times that I simply look at my Feds on their stands and continue to be impressed with the classic style of them. Not because of anything I have done to them...mine are rook arike...just for what they are. Some folks look at banzai trees, paintings, or whatever. I look at my Feds and they are wierdly soothing to me. Guess I need help.

A great hat that resembles a vintage that I probably could never afford and is, to me, what I'd see if I looked in the dictionary and saw a picture of one next to the definition of "hat".

Summed up beautifully with all the passion one expects from Goose describing Fed IVs ...now there are a couple of guys in white coats that want to talk with you mate.....lol lol :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn