Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
I look at my Feds and they are wierdly soothing to me. Guess I need help.

A great hat that resembles a vintage that I probably could never afford and is, to me, what I'd see if I looked in the dictionary and saw a picture of one next to the definition of "hat".

I've had my Fed IV for i dont know how many months now. I wear it every day, and I still stop or slow down to look at myself in it when I pass a reflective surface. I also look at it sitting on my fez when Im at home. I am in love with this hat.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Man do I love this hat!! Got my first one today!

Can't wait to pay the bills this week just to see if there's another one of these big tough hats in my near future!

My hat's off to each and every one of you who posted on here, convincing me that this was not only a great choice but a terrific bargain!

Thanks!!:eusa_clap

100_2396.jpg

OddSteve

Familiar Face
This is my Fed IV after some wear and tear.
I was caught by some heavy rain yesterday and took the opportunity to do some minor tweakings to the bash - lowered the back of the crown just a little bit, raised the center dome and adjusted the brim curl.
Man, how I love this hat. Its shape is constantly evolving.

lpfed-hdr2.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, mine is beginning to take on a more lived-in look from the constant wear. Thats why I dont make myself crazy over every little detail. It's starting to take on its own, and at the same time, my personality.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
This is my new bash. I call it the "Theropod Stomp"

FedIV_carb_top-1.jpg
I don't mean to be annoying but I think that's a six point diamond. A fantastic bash which I would merge with a teardrop and copy if I had the appropriate hat, but not new. [huh]

OddSteve

Familiar Face
High Pockets said:
:eusa_clap OddSteve,....that's a nice looking hat! I like that bash! I may do something very similar to that on my next Fed IV.

Hey High Pockets,

that's nothing special - just a standard teardrop bash, maybe a bit narrower than usual. But it's great fun to twiddle with a federation, and of course a good reason to get another one :D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
avedwards said:
I don't mean to be annoying but I think that's a six point diamond. A fantastic bash which I would merge with a teardrop and copy if I had the appropriate hat, but not new. [huh]

No...seriously. A theropod stepped on it...:D

It is a diamond...not 6 points though. 3 points in the back...1 in the front. It's a minimalistic bash that took well under a minute to do.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
So's anyone here owned a Fed IV standard long enough to gauge the long-term shrinkage? The Deluxe is out of my price range but the Standard is not, and I'm wondering if it'd be a poor long-term investment.

Tone

A-List Customer
MisterGrey said:
So's anyone here owned a Fed IV standard long enough to gauge the long-term shrinkage? The Deluxe is out of my price range but the Standard is not, and I'm wondering if it'd be a poor long-term investment.

Might be a poor investment only in terms of style. The Fed IV is still an Akubra which means it shares the same qualities as any other Akubra in Imperial felt (or heritage). I still have two Federation IIIs in Imperial felt; and though they've gone through multitudes of experimentation, the felt is still going strong. Even my Akubra Adventurer, with the brim that I had cut too short (more experimentation ;0) still shows no signs of giving up. The imperial felt, on any Akubra, has proven trustworthy for years. Just depends on who would really want a Fed IV style as a second-hand hat. Akubra's felt itself is pretty hearty; regardless of the model.

rrog

A-List Customer
MG, I can only speak about my own Fed IV. I've had it not quite a year now and it's not changed much at all. It was a little loose, which was probably a subjective thing, but my perception of it anyway. I put in the foam strips and hoped it would shrink to fit my head like everyone said it would do, but it never did. While it did get worn the most out of all my hats last fall/winter/early spring, it hasn't shrunk like I've heard they'll do. I took it out the other day and it still needed the foam lining to fit right. So in a year's time, there's been no noticeable change.

rrog

rrog

A-List Customer
Tone said:
Might be a poor investment only in terms of style.

And if buying a Fed IV is a poor investment (in style), then I'm fixing to throw some good money after some bad. I'm thinking about getting the moonstone Fed IV. I hope my financial (style) advisor doesn't rake me over the coals too hard!

rrog

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rrog said:
And if buying a Fed IV is a poor investment (in style), then I'm fixing to throw some good money after some bad. I'm thinking about getting the moonstone Fed IV. I hope my financial (style) advisor doesn't rake me over the coals too hard!

rrog

You are going to love it!!!!!;)

Tone

A-List Customer
rrog said:

rrog

Hey, some of you think the Fed IV really does look good. Enjoy! It's your money. ;)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Tone said:
Hey, some of you think the Fed IV really does look good. Enjoy! It's your money. ;)
Tone, I've been wanting to ask someone who doesn't like the Fed IV, what is your preference for a fedora? What brand and what style in that brand? Stetson? Custom by Art? Others?

rrog

A-List Customer
Tone said:

I'll try to bear the suffering. With the right attitude and a little grace, I think I'll manage.

:p

rrog

kaosharper1

One Too Many
MisterGrey said:

I've had a Fed III for several years. I've worn it through New England winters and rain, and rebashed it using water several times. Still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24