Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Hey MarkD...
That's great to read such a positive post and to know that you are happy with your Federation. Do you wear it to work? Just wondering.

Oh yes I wear a wide brim of some kind daily. So I am way past the OFF! stage. I need a doctor! :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MarkD said:
Hey MarkD...
That's great to read such a positive post and to know that you are happy with your Federation. Do you wear it to work? Just wondering.

Oh yes I wear a wide brim of some kind daily. So I am way past the OFF! stage. I need a doctor! :)

Ain't it grand?! :D

babs

A-List Customer
Considering very very strongly (finger on the trigger) on a Fed deluxe, except the version (IV or previous) isn't listed. Should I worry? I love the shape and the felt reviews of the IV.. and though the color is a wee bit too "Indy" for me, I can live with it as it's a deluxe (heritage) felt. As far as shape or other qualities.. should I be concerned if it's not a IV? Is there a big block difference?

Edit: Confirmed the lid I'm looking at is an original Fed, not a IV.. Anyone with previous versions I'd be interested in the differences.

Edit: I intend to win. I hope.

Deckburner

New in Town
First Fed IV

More in the New Hat thread. But, just in case you don't check that.
2587758230105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

rsperko

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am fairly sold on the Fed IV. My only other hat is a Country Gentleman Safari. I have two questions

1. What color would you recommend to go with this coat?
f_49877_1.jpg

It is very green inside the hood, I tend to look a bit better with browns. I was leaning toward carbon, or moonstone.
2. With the USD-AUD exchange rate less appealing today would the Fed IV still be your first choice (~$100 before shipping rather than the $70 it seems many picked it up for).

Thank you,
-Rick

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, I would opt for Moonstone over Carbon for that coat, IMHO. Carbon looks really close to that color grey and might end up looking too monotone, but that may just be my personal preference. I would say Tawny fawn might be a good match too.

I'd pay $100 for a Fed, certainly...I purchased mine when the exchange rate made it about $88USD....it's still a great hat.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
rsperko said:
Hello Gentlemen,

I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am fairly sold on the Fed IV. My only other hat is a Country Gentleman Safari. I have two questions

1. What color would you recommend to go with this coat?
f_49877_1.jpg

It is very green inside the hood, I tend to look a bit better with browns. I was leaning toward carbon, or moonstone.
2. With the USD-AUD exchange rate less appealing today would the Fed IV still be your first choice (~$100 before shipping rather than the $70 it seems many picked it up for).

Thank you,
-Rick

You won't see the AUD that cheap again unless the economy tanks over here. Thts is a beautiful duffle coat BTW...where is it from?

rsperko

New in Town

Maguire

Practically Family
My fed IV has been my hat of choice for all occasions virtually and has been through plenty of wear and tear (it was drenched in rain a few weeks ago in the city). It doesn't strike me as a dress hat because of its color (the carbon gray is a tad bit too dark for my tastes but i wear it nonetheless), it seems a bit gawdy, but as far as durability goes its a great hat. I wish i'd gone for moonstone though. In any case its shrunk considerably and i've removed nearly all the foam strip (which worked out, i needed them for that liffy brown fedora). I like the shape more now, but i find it isn't as snug on my head as it was with the strips. I always get this feeling it looks better on nearly everyone else but me.. but go figure i'm wearing it regardless.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
colors

Hi,

if that is a green hue- you can probably safely match a brown tone with the coat or a grey of some sort.

i would avoid black, blue, and silver belly like colors. you want to stay complimentary (if i am using that term correctly).

what i do when in doubt, i open the photo in photoshop or mspaint and then paste a color swatch into the photo- can give you an idea whether a color will work or not.....buying online can be a gamble- I don't like risking it ;-)

frussell

One Too Many
I Understand the Fuss Now

Just got a Carbon Grey Fed IV. Instantly made all my other Akubras second string (see classifieds). I get it now. For a newly made hat, this has all the qualities I need for an everyday, all-around fedora, and beats a few vintage models I've owned, at least for my needs. Hatsdirect is hard to beat for customer service and communication, and I can trust their size 63 to be a tad roomy, where my recent adventure with Christy's (via HornetsHats) proved to be disappointing in that respect. This will make the wait for the upcoming Art Fawcett model more bearable. Good stuff. Frank.

rsperko

New in Town
Thank you for the feedback. It looks like my wife has chosen to order a brown Fed IV for me.

Now I worry about size. My head measures just over 59 cm, according to the sizing chart a 60 would be appropriate. It will be a standard rather than deluxe, so I am concerned about about shrinking and the 1/2 size smaller sizing, but I am sure any small amount of shrinking can be addressed.

Once again, thanks for the input. I had no idea that it was possible to have 23+ pages of discussion on a hat ;)

-Rick

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
rsperko said:
Now I worry about size. My head measures just over 59 cm, according to the sizing chart a 60 would be appropriate. It will be a standard rather than deluxe, so I am concerned about about shrinking and the 1/2 size smaller sizing, but I am sure any small amount of shrinking can be addressed.

My Federations are not 1/2 size undersized. They may eventually shrink their way there, but they haven't yet. If anything a 60 will be loose for the first year plus.

frussell

One Too Many
Not small

I would agree with the above post. I find that my Fed IV fits just like my other size 63 Akubra - a Squatter. I am using felt strips for the first time ever. For me, it's a luxury to finally have a hat that is not too snug to start with. I'm a pretty long 7 3/4, almost a 7 7/8, and I found that 62 is comfortable, but snug. Size 63 seems to be a true 7 7/8 in Akubras so far. Frank.

Round shape of Akubra

All of my 61cm Campdrafts fit differently with the Glen Grey being the largest. They are all initially a round shape, not as bad as modern Stetson, but did adjust to my very Long Oval noggin. I seem to be either a 7 1/2 XLO or a 7 5/8 LO. My head measures exactly 24" which shows to be 7 5/8 on most charts. I did use some felt strips on 2 of my CDs mentioned above to have a good fit but with wear, it has all come out & they all fit nicely. I don't have any Fed4s in my stable but do have a Kiandra & a couple of Squatters, all 61 & fit nicely after a few wears to break them in. JMHO...

rsperko

New in Town
I just re-read the sizing advice on hats direct, it is a 1/2 size smaller than previous models. I have a Tilley 7 1/2 that fits great, so maybe the 60 will be just right, maybe I will need some foam for a while.

Once again, thank you for the info.
-Rick

Duper

Practically Family
rsperko, I would recommend contacting Hats Direct via e-mail before making your order. They can best suggest what size you require as they know their product the best. When my Fed IV showed up it dropped below my ears. With bashing the crown, a little padding and some conferring with Hats Direct everything turned out great. My hat snugged up nicely in no time at all.

Here is part of an e-mail conversation I had with the staff at Hats Direct.

"The Fed you have should be ok - bigger is better than a perfect fit out of the box which I think the next size down would be. To return the hat for exchange would be expensive for both of us and I really think you may end up with a hat a little too tight in the long run."

They were right. The way it snugged up I would have had a problem by now. I'm glad they talked me into keeping the larger out of the box hat.

Good luck and enjoy your new hat when it arrives.

Duper

Practically Family
Well I just dropped in to read the Fed IV thread yesterday and ended up leaving a comment.

I have been thinking about a light grey hat for a few weeks now so I ended up ordering a Fed IV standard in moonstone tonight. Deb at Hats Direct said they had one left in stock in my size so I figured I better jump on it or I would have to wait a bit.

Hopefully it will make it here in time for Xmas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran