Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Bebop

Practically Family
I'm going to have to try a center dent with a low crown. I am stuck on diamond crowns and really haven't tried by best to make it work. I wear it anyway because it's just such a fine fitting hat that keeps getting nicer with age but if I look in the mirror too long, I start to complain about the high crown. I guess I should stay away from mirrors!

frussell

One Too Many
I'm terrible at search functions, so I apologize if I missed this. Does anyone have photos of a Fed IV Deluxe in Black? I just ordered one from HatsDirect, and I'm curious if it will be nicer than my standard Fed IV was. It's not offered on their website, they just happened to have one in my size. Thanks, Frank.

DRB

One Too Many
AkubraFedIVL-RTawnyFawnBrownMoonstoneCarbonBlack.jpg

This is the Fed IV but I am not sure if it is Deluxe.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
I have 2 standard Fed IV's. 1 tawny and 1 moonstone. Have any of you folks changed the hat band on your Fed? I was thinking of going with a more narrow hat band.

If anyone has any pictures of a Fed IV with a customized hat band it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
That looked quite nice as it appeared in those pictures, but are you going to stick with the dimensional brim, or have it trimmed? I look forward to seeing your results; it looks like Major Moore will do a great job with the hat. A moonstone Open Road is a good idea from the start.

That looked quite nice as it appeared in those pictures, but are you going to stick with the dimensional brim, or have it trimmed? I look forward to seeing your results; it looks like Major Moore will do a great job with the hat. A moonstone Open Road is a good idea from the start.

I did not specify any brim trimming so it will remain dimensional. If they ever decide to make a Moonstone Campdraft, then I'll get one. Thanks.

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks gtdean for the photo. I find more and more I am a thin ribbon or thin leather band kinda guy. I will try and find a nice compromise for my Feds. I really like how the accent of the deeper brown ribbon works with the tawny fawn felt. I think I will try and work out something in the 3/4 inch range rather than the 1 1/2 that it arrived with.

I sometimes wish the tawny Campdraft worked with the same complimentary colour scheme. I find my CD looks even better when it gets wet and the ribbon colours go darker and accents the lighter felt.

bluefox

New in Town
Nice hats everyone! I would really like some help, I am buying my husband a fed IV hat and cannot decide on wheather to get a standard or deluxe? Is there much of a difference? Olso, has anyone the heritage fawn, is that a good colour for an indy hat?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Nice hats everyone! I would really like some help, I am buying my husband a fed IV hat and cannot decide on wheather to get a standard or deluxe? Is there much of a difference? Olso, has anyone the heritage fawn, is that a good colour for an indy hat?

If you look at post 665 you can see 5 different Fed colors. One and two are tawny fawn and brown. The brown is obviously the closest to the Indy color, although any of the colors can be shaped into an Indy-style hat.

I have a deluxe and and two standards. There are differences, but I like both grades equally. If money is no object and you must have a Fed IV, then splurge and go for the Deluxe. Otherwise, get a standard. Either way, I dont think youll be disappointed.

bluefox

New in Town
Thank you scottyrocks, I might splurge and get the deluxe. Not sure of the colour yet. I will show the colours to hubby and see what he likes. He flipped when he saw the price! ($70 difference)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I own both the brown and the heritage fawn deluxes and I must say that I love them both. Obviously the brown is the colour if you want the "Indy" hat, but the heritage fawn is a very classy colour. The brown is perhaps the more informal of the two colour-wise.

bluefox

New in Town
Thank you Wolfwood. My hubby likes the fawn but my son likes the brown, even though my son is more likely to wear it more often than his father. (have a movie theme party) Oh well, I've got to January to make up my mind.
Again thank you for your help. :)

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
For those of you following my saga I bought a Fed IV Deluxe on ebay that had been bashed for the Indy turn effect. Well I have spent some time unturning it and this is the outcome. I wet is down with distilled water and used a sharpie with paper clamps to hold the front inplace while it dried. What to you think? I like it.
FDonfront.jpg

FDoneside.jpg

And some close ups of the hat alone
FDfront.jpg

FDside.jpg

FDtop.jpg

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
For those of you following my saga I bought a Fed IV Deluxe on ebay that had been bashed for the Indy turn effect. Well I have spent some time unturning it and this is the outcome. I wet is down with distilled water and used a sharpie with paper clamps to hold the front inplace while it dried. What to you think? I like it.
FDonfront.jpg

FDoneside.jpg

And some close ups of the hat alone
FDfront.jpg

FDside.jpg

FDtop.jpg

Works quite well with the Drover coat.

Gooch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member