Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
based on the ribbon and bow design i think thats a fed 3 actually. the fed iv does not have that overlapping bundle in the bow but a flat piece of fabric....just my 2 cents..if you like then wear it.

email68

One of the Regulars
Newbie alert ;-)

What is the difference between the standard and deluxe Fed IV? The website does not say very much.

Also, can you get the dark brown with a black ribbon?

Thanks
-Tim

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Newbie alert ;-)

What is the difference between the standard and deluxe Fed IV? The website does not say very much.

Also, can you get the dark brown with a black ribbon?

Thanks
-Tim

Basically, the quality of the felt and the sweat. Some will tell you thats the deluxe is worth the extra money, and some will tell you its not. Im with the camp that says its not. I have both types. Maybe if I had all kinds of extra cash lying around Id feel differently.

I dont know about ribbon color choices, but you cold email or call Hatsdirect and they will be more than happy to help you. Not a cop-out on my part - their customer service is excellent.

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
Basically, the quality of the felt and the sweat. Some will tell you thats the deluxe is worth the extra money, and some will tell you its not. Im with the camp that says its not. I have both types. Maybe if I had all kinds of extra cash lying around Id feel differently.

I dont know about ribbon color choices, but you cold email or call Hatsdirect and they will be more than happy to help you. Not a cop-out on my part - their customer service is excellent.

Service is excellent at hats direct... I have to deluxe one from hats direct, and my next one will be a regular on :p !

email68

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info.

Is Hats Direct the only place to get the Fed IV? Sounds like they are pretty great to work with.

I'm asking because their shipping to the US seems a little high.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Thanks for the info.

Is Hats Direct the only place to get the Fed IV? Sounds like they are pretty great to work with.

I'm asking because their shipping to the US seems a little high.

Yes it is and they are great. All of my Akubras came from them. Even with the shipping cost, they were a less expensive alternative than other new production hats.

Stowe20Sept20271020281291.jpg

Wearing my moonstone Fed while hiking in Sowe Vermont in Sept. Great views!

SteveAS

Practically Family
I wet is down with distilled water and used a sharpie with paper clamps to hold the front inplace while it dried. What to you think? I like it.
FDonfront.jpg

FDfront.jpg

In most respects, I think it looks good. But, since you asked, I'd change two things. First, I'd re-wet part of the hat to get rid of the sharp dents apparently left by the paper clamps. Second, I'd reduce the dip in the front of the brim or push it back further on your head; it looks too low in front.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In most respects, I think it looks good. But, since you asked, I'd change two things. First, I'd re-wet part of the hat to get rid of the sharp dents apparently left by the paper clamps. Second, I'd reduce the dip in the front of the brim or push it back further on your head; it looks too low in front.

Hi I agree with Steve, but am wondering if simple use will take care of both the dents and the brim? I have little experience with shaping fur felt, but I think if you were to wet the front of the hat and rub your thumb on the inside the dents would go away.

Later

Indeed, it was a blast! My buddy, his wife and I hiked up the 3 miles earlier in the day, while my wife was in a seminar. Then we ate lunch and all did it again. Had some mighty sore calves the next day, but worth it!

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Hi I agree with Steve, but am wondering if simple use will take care of both the dents and the brim? I have little experience with shaping fur felt, but I think if you were to wet the front of the hat and rub your thumb on the inside the dents would go away.

Later

Thanks for the comments. The dents are going away on there own. The brim tuned down is how I wanted it for this hat. I tend to wear my hats low that way and then push them back on my head if I want eye contact with people or am just sitting around.

Jeff

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For those of you following my saga I bought a Fed IV Deluxe on ebay that had been bashed for the Indy turn effect. Well I have spent some time unturning it and this is the outcome. I wet is down with distilled water and used a sharpie with paper clamps to hold the front inplace while it dried. What to you think? I like it.
FDonfront.jpg

FDoneside.jpg

And some close ups of the hat alone
FDfront.jpg

FDside.jpg

FDtop.jpg

Im a 'tight pinch' fan, but I think the front crease is too severe, especially at the bottom. I'd re-wet it, jam it down on my head, and let the bottom of it spread out a little to a more natural separation, molding with my fingers as needed. Otherwise, it looks great from every angle.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Im a 'tight pinch' fan, but I think the front crease is too severe, especially at the bottom. I'd re-wet it, jam it down on my head, and let the bottom of it spread out a little to a more natural separation, molding with my fingers as needed. Otherwise, it looks great from every angle.

A lot of my hats end up with a tight pinch over time from taking it on and off. We try to make a new hats look well warned now. Over time I think the bottom will less severe. It's kind of backwards but I think it will work.

Jeff

The Good

Call Me a Cab
No pics, unfortunately, but I ended up wearing the Fed to Disneyland. Very enjoyable, and the hat kept me warm. I guess it's too bad I didn't go on the Indiana Jones ride, as their lines were brutal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn