Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Winsor

New in Town
kaYlKeiYuR3kdDhd1DEsow
[/IMG]
Pduck said:
I always click on the little "Insert Image" icon just above the text box. Then just paste the url of where the image is posted.

Carol%27s%20Pics%20to%202.18.09%20184.jpg
U51kb-9VLK2rkv1ZIWDywg
[/IMG]

thanks for the kind words....2 more photos, same hat.

rrog

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
Here's a pic to show that I curled the rear of my FIVD. It's slight and has settled down since I did it a few weeks ago. Need to touch it up.
Did it dry and by hand.

500565927_e6HpB-S.jpg

Very nice Goose. How long did it take dry, as compared to a steamed/wet job?

rrog

Goose.

Practically Family
rrog said:
Very nice Goose. How long did it take dry, as compared to a steamed/wet job?

rrog
Thanks rrog :)
Guess that total time for that rear curl was an hour at most. Just kept goofing with it off and on while watching the tube or yakking on calls for work.

Johnny.

New in Town
Agreed, you did a great job on that hat Goose.

I have a slight... proposition. Seeing as heaps of people are getting the Fed IV all the time, we're going to have a lot of threads about it (not that I blame the owners - the Fed IV IS something to rave about).

However, if everyone started posting about their newly aquired in the same thread, a) everyone could go to the one place to get information, post pictures and just generally rave about the thing, and b) tell us all that you've got a great new hat and how you've bashed it.

It's just a suggestion that hit me. We could always re-name this thread to "The Federation IV Thread" or something along those lines - thoughts?

- Johnny

Pduck

One of the Regulars
How is the Federation in hot weather? I'm looking to get something for summer when the weather does not permit a Panama. I know that Art Fawcett has some light weight felt hats, but I'm afraid that a custom hat is beyond my budget right now. Does anyone have any experience wearing the Fed in hot weather and would there be a difference between the regular and the deluxe in this regard.

Thanks.

rrog

A-List Customer
Pduck said:
How is the Federation in hot weather? I'm looking to get something for summer when the weather does not permit a Panama. I know that Art Fawcett has some light weight felt hats, but I'm afraid that a custom hat is beyond my budget right now. Does anyone have any experience wearing the Fed in hot weather and would there be a difference between the regular and the deluxe in this regard.

Thanks.

I guess I can only speak for myself, but I've already experienced that the Fed IV is going to be too hot for summer use. We've had a few days of temperatures over 70 degrees and the Fed IV is simply too hot for me. I've noticed that when the temperature gets above about 65-67, I start to sweat. It would be great if they made one with vent holes.

rrog

CRH said:
Different looks keep the hobby alive.

But it has occurred to me recently that we hat folks all need a block and flange set up. I mean like it should just be a regular appliance that we all take for granted, like a refrigerator or a stove or a microwave oven or a computer..cell phone..ipod..:rolleyes:.

here here!! I'd love to have one. Aaron hats has a bunch of flanges they are selling but, they don't have any info on them.
http://www.getahaton.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=flange&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

rrog said:
I guess I can only speak for myself, but I've already experienced that the Fed IV is going to be too hot for summer use. We've had a few days of temperatures over 70 degrees and the Fed IV is simply too hot for me. I've noticed that when the temperature gets above about 65-67, I start to sweat. It would be great if they made one with vent holes.

rrog

I'm in upstate NY and it seems that it is only a two season hat for me anyway, summer is awfully hot for it and once it gets below 20, I have to revert back to something that covers me ears.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Pduck said:
How is the Federation in hot weather?
Here in England a panama hat in summer could be a dangerous idea as it could unnexpectedly rain, or it could also stay sunny for weeks at a time. From experience I have worn felt hats in summer with no problem, provided they were a light colour. So if the Fed IV is to be used in summer it would have to be moonstone or tawny fawn (or whatever the tan colour is called) I'm guessing.

Goose.

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
... I hope its not too hot under this hat. :(
Give it up Scotty...it will be like wearing an Easy Bake Oven. I haven't hit summer yet with my Federation, but it was in the 70's a few days ago. Sweat like a oinker. And, no real humidity out here where I live.

Having worn a Sydney for several summers, it was hot as well. But that is a lighter weight (fur less dense) hat than the Fed, so I imagine the Fed will cook.

Avedwards may have it spot on with the lighter color though.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Give it up Scotty...it will be like wearing an Easy Bake Oven. I haven't hit summer yet with my Federation, but it was in the 70's a few days ago. Sweat like a oinker. And, no real humidity out here where I live.

Having worn a Sydney for several summers, it was hot as well. But that is a lighter weight (fur less dense) hat than the Fed, so I imagine the Fed will cook.

Avedwards may have it spot on with the lighter color though.

Okay. Point taken. I know I need ventilation which is why I wear my Bailey straw all summer. I'll miss the Fed, though. I'll have to go home at the end of the day and stare longingly at it.

MattJH

One Too Many
The Federation would probably be my last choice for summer felt headwear. The felt is way too dense, thick, and heavy for it. For the Akubra line, I'd go with a Stylemaster, Fedora/Sydney, or Traveler if you're not going for one of their polypropylene hats.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
I get very hot-headed, as well.

I've been having visions of me walking around in my Fed, a t-shirt, and cargo shorts all summer. I hope its not too hot under this hat. :(

Put an egg under your hat if you want a quick breakfast. shakeshead
Egg.gif

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
My point was also coming from someone in England, which is probably not as hot in summer as it is in the US. Take yesterday, it may have been spring but I still wore my great coat and didn't get too hot (today the sun's out but I would still wear a Fed if I had one as it's only 15C at most).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112