Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've trimmed hats with scissors. They need to be new or very very sharp. In order to get it as perfect as possible, I made a template from some oak tag, laid it over the brim and marked out the new edge with chalk. Then cut on the chalk so it leaves room for sanding.

m0nk

One Too Many
Thank you. I hope he would, even if I lack his attitude (and don't even bother attempting to copy it as I never could).

The only un-Bogart thing on my hat is the brim. His is 2 1/4" to 2 3/8" but mine is the Federation's 2 3/4" front and back with 2 1/2" at the sides. But considering Bogart is small and I'm quite tall, I will keep my brim as proportionally is nearly looks the same as his.
I know this has been out there for a while, but I wanted to ask.... does this post mean that one of Bogart's hats may have a dimensional cut? I'm considering a Carbon Grey or Moonstone Fed IV to add to the collection, though I'm also ordering a Casablanca hat from Penman, specifically for Bogart's look.

Thanks!

m0nk

One Too Many
So I've ordered another Fed IV, this time in Moonstone, and here's my plan... I'm going to trim the brim to an even 2.5" all around, then give it the Bogey-style "oddly-diamond" crease. This will hopefully tide me over until I can get the funds together completely for Penman's Casablanca. My wife fell in love with that one, so I got the OK to save up for it after some other financial obligations, and she picked the Moonstone color for me too.

And the Fed IV 56 size truly fits me perfectly after a month of wear. I'm still surprised how nice of a fit my brown one is. Can't wait to get the new one broken in...

rrwine

New in Town
Just ordered a brown Fed IV standard from Hats Direct yesterday. Thanks to all who have posted here! I've learned a lot from you guys. I'm new to the hat world and this will be my first "real" hat. Will post pictures when I get the hat. What a great forum - I'm hooked.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Waiting on my Tawny Fed IV to arrive. In looking at the photos that have been posted (BTW they are great) I am thinking about doing a C-Crown with a tight pinch.

Kirk

Kirk H.

One Too Many
For now I went with a loose c-crown to keep from forcing the sides out too much. Not the best photos.

ccrown.jpg
sideprofile.jpg

Looks good. just curious, did you use steam when shaping it?

Kirk

m0nk

One Too Many
Looks good. just curious, did you use steam when shaping it?

Kirk
I'm not sure about B.J. Hedberg's hat there, but I can say I have never used steam on my Akubra's. I have a Bushman with a c-crown that I used only water to shape, and the same for my Fed IV in an Indy style. When my moonstone Fed IV arrives later this week I plan on using water again to give it a diamond crease. Wear it in the rain and it "locks in" the shape a bit so the crease looks even better.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Just ordered a brown Fed IV standard from Hats Direct yesterday. Thanks to all who have posted here! I've learned a lot from you guys. I'm new to the hat world and this will be my first "real" hat. Will post pictures when I get the hat. What a great forum - I'm hooked.

I'm also kinda new. While my first real hat was a grey Stetson Temple my wife bought me for Christmas last year, I've had a dark brown Fed IV now for about a month and I love it. Almost immediately, I began thinking of the "next Fed IV" I would get, what color it would be, and what kind of crease to use. With the warm L.A. weather, I'd probably go for a lighter color like the Tawny Fawn. Hmmmm.....

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
I had to share this "creative" picture of my in my Indy look. I took the pic last Saturday before heading to a costume party. Then, I toyed with an online photo effects website for this look:
6326514711_7c4bbf5372_b.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I'm not sure about B.J. Hedberg's hat there, but I can say I have never used steam on my Akubra's. I have a Bushman with a c-crown that I used only water to shape, and the same for my Fed IV in an Indy style. When my moonstone Fed IV arrives later this week I plan on using water again to give it a diamond crease. Wear it in the rain and it "locks in" the shape a bit so the crease looks even better.

Thanks. Did you use a spray bottle and mist it or soak it?

m0nk

One Too Many
Thanks. Did you use a spray bottle and mist it or soak it?
Spray bottle for the majority of the work, but I just wet my hands for minor tweaks... I used a Brita filter on my water, just to be sure it wasn't going to stain the felt... of course, these are darker colors and hopefully I'll have the same results with the Moonstone hat. I wouldn't soak a hat unless I'd be reblocking it or trying to get a crease out, but not in. However, as I mentioned in the previous post, wearing the hat out in the rain after it has dried in your preferred crease will help it keep that crease... just as long as it's not a torrential downpour. :D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Spray bottle for the majority of the work, but I just wet my hands for minor tweaks... I used a Brita filter on my water, just to be sure it wasn't going to stain the felt... of course, these are darker colors and hopefully I'll have the same results with the Moonstone hat. I wouldn't soak a hat unless I'd be reblocking it or trying to get a crease out, but not in. However, as I mentioned in the previous post, wearing the hat out in the rain after it has dried in your preferred crease will help it keep that crease... just as long as it's not a torrential downpour. :D
It's an Akubra, they love torrential downpours! All of mine have gotten BETTER the more rain they encounter. :)

frussell

One Too Many
Mr. Dean is right on. Depending on your well's age and your natural water, there may be lots of stuff. On our old farm in LaGrange, TX, we had well water that tasted fine, but smelled like sulphur, and tended to have a distinct color to it, even with new pipes. Having said that, I mostly use tap water in a spray bottle, especially on Akubra felt. Frank

m0nk

One Too Many
It's an Akubra, they love torrential downpours! All of mine have gotten BETTER the more rain they encounter. :)
Yes, I agree, I just mean in terms of keeping a new crease. If you get hit with tons of rain before the crease gets "locked in", it doesn't stay quite as nice. JMO, though.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I agree, I just mean in terms of keeping a new crease. If you get hit with tons of rain before the crease gets "locked in", it doesn't stay quite as nice. JMO, though.
Never had that problem with my Akubra's. After a good soaking in the rain, the crease just got better and have been over the years I've had 'em :)

jkingrph

Practically Family
My Fed IV deluxe in Heritage Fawn just rolled in a few minutes ago. I unpacked it, found an old nearly empty spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner, cleaned it out and filled with water, and proceded to wet and shape it to kind of a c-crown type bash I seem to see a lot here and that I like.

I love the color and the shape.

I find it uncanny how accurately Hats Direct estimates delivery time from Australia. They said 10-14 days and it arrived day 11 from order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff