Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

mikieson

New in Town
I will try to get some more photos posted this week. All I did to bash this one was wet it down, use the rolling pin technique that David aka DJH posted a while back to get the center dent, and then put it to apply the side pinches to make sure it was centered.

Kirk
Thanks Krik..umm..well I found some pics from another user with a nice indy bash as well..BUT would love to know more about this "rolling pin" technique youre talking about..Thanks much.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A rolling pin is hardly necessary, and automatically dictates the shape of the dent. Your hands can do just as good a job, if not better, and you can achieve a more personal shape with your hands, as well.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
[video=youtube;v1R3qWa9zz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1R3qWa9zz8[/video]

Mikieson, here is the video that DJH put out on a thread here on the lounge. Bottom line is that there are several ways to do it. I have done one by hand and then I did the Fed IV using this technique and it worked great. Have fun bashing it.

Kirk H.

mikieson

New in Town
[video=youtube;v1R3qWa9zz8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v1R3qWa9zz8[/video]

Mikieson, here is the video that DJH put out on a thread here on the lounge. Bottom line is that there are several ways to do it. I have done one by hand and then I did the Fed IV using this technique and it worked great. Have fun bashing it.

Kirk H.
humm...thats interesting..lol..what I like about being an animal is...we find a tool for everything..hahaha..:D..thanks for the video..Ive seen a few different ones..I like watching ALL I CAN just for the learning of it..I love seeing how hats are made from beginning to end..Its so great.

mikieson

New in Town
A rolling pin is hardly necessary, and automatically dictates the shape of the dent. Your hands can do just as good a job, if not better, and you can achieve a more personal shape with your hands, as well.
not necessary, but i like that it gives it a nice uniform look..I think its pretty cool..I one of those ITS NOT CENTERED guys..I can tell when something is off by as little as a 1/4"..I was in construction for 14 years and people always said LET MIKE look..he has a "natural eye"..lol..Its a curse!!!..:D

m0nk

One Too Many
not necessary, but i like that it gives it a nice uniform look..I think its pretty cool..I one of those ITS NOT CENTERED guys..I can tell when something is off by as little as a 1/4"..I was in construction for 14 years and people always said LET MIKE look..he has a "natural eye"..lol..Its a curse!!!..:D
Ah, but a part of the "Indy" style is to have the hat a little off, done by hand, turned, and eventually, heavily worn. The Raiders hat had some turning so that the bow was closer to the front of Ford's heat prior to the pinch being done. That way, the hat isn't on strait, but the pinch can be even with the face. Eventually, the Fed IV will conform to your head regardless of whether there's a turn. Mine has a rather slight one, but almost by accident, and it works out very well.

As mentioned before, there's a lot on COW about transforming your hat into the Indy hat of lore, including some nice details on how to artificially distress it without damaging it.

mikieson

New in Town
381955_10150573189351329_654471328_11119701_1617187301_n.jpg

These are 2 different looks with the same hat..I want mine to look like the one on the right. Its 100% what im wanting.. what did they do different with the bash?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
To me, the one on the left appears to have some taper, as the front bash leans inward- I have this issue on my Christy's adventurer. With a ruler against it, it is not plumb.
Has anybody here replicated the bash on the right with their feds? It is this discrepancy that prevents me from buying one actually.

mikieson

New in Town
To me, the one on the left appears to have some taper, as the front bash leans inward- I have this issue on my Christy's adventurer. With a ruler against it, it is not plumb.
Has anybody here replicated the bash on the right with their feds? It is this discrepancy that prevents me from buying one actually.
Well someone replicated it cause its done..lol..but my deal is I want to know HOW to do it? How did he get his perfect? What did he do differently that the other guy didnt? OR maybe the guy on the left didnt want his to look like the one on the right?..

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The hat on the left has a deeper center dent, and goes down farther in the back. The front pinch is much tighter and goes closer to the ribbon than the one on the right. The dents are also creased much more sharply which is causing the hat to "pull back" and taper. Compare it to the side view of my Fed for example:
2011-06-18192657.jpg

The first two pics of the hat on the left show how sharply the crease has been put into the hat. This is not really the best way to treat the felt.

mikieson

New in Town
The hat on the left has a deeper center dent, and goes down farther in the back. The front pinch is much tighter and goes closer to the ribbon than the one on the right. The dents are also creased much more sharply which is causing the hat to "pull back" and taper. Compare it to the side view of my Fed for example:
2011-06-18192657.jpg

The first two pics of the hat on the left show how sharply the crease has been put into the hat. This is not really the best way to treat the felt.
can you take a pic of your top bash please?? and your crown profile is perfect as well. AS far as "not being the best way to treat the felt"..that is how indy's hat is in Raiders and how many people like their hats. Im sure the felt can take it..or Im assuming it can as its tough..BUT thanks and hope to see more pics..

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Raiders hat is a COSTUME hat. A razor sharp pinch like that was, to say the least, uncommon. And no, it is not good for the felt. Is Akubra felt tough as nails? You betcha. But that doesn't mean that the razor sharp pinch isn't going to wear down the felt faster than a hat that has a more gentle crease.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Then there is the amount, or severity, of 'razorness'. A compromise between the two hats above is to extend the pinch all the way down to the ribbon but not pinch it so tightly that you can cut yourself on the edge.

This is my Fed IV with what I consider to be a compromise between the two hats pictured above.

0907001240a.jpg

The hat on the right in the above series has a front pinch that is more like the hats in the other IJ movies (not Raiders). It doesn't extend all the way down to the ribbon.

mikieson

New in Town
Then there is the amount, or severity, of 'razorness'. A compromise between the two hats above is to extend the pinch all the way down to the ribbon but not pinch it so tightly that you can cut yourself on the edge.

This is my Fed IV with what I consider to be a compromise between the two hats pictured above.

0907001240a.jpg

The hat on the right in the above series has a front pinch that is more like the hats in the other IJ movies (not Raiders). It doesn't extend all the way down to the ribbon.
Can we see a profile of the hat please?? nice hat by the way..:)

mikieson

New in Town
photo2.jpg
[/IMG]
Indybash3.jpg
[/IMG]
Indybash2.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some more shots of my Fed IV with an Indy Bash.
That looks good. I notice that you have a pretty deep bash on top but still have very little crown taper in the side profile. According to some the deeper the top bash the more it tends to taper in?..So..does your hat go against the norm? OR are there other factors when shaping? Thanks for the good pics..nice..

Kirk H.

One Too Many
That looks good. I notice that you have a pretty deep bash on top but still have very little crown taper in the side profile. According to some the deeper the top bash the more it tends to taper in?..So..does your hat go against the norm? OR are there other factors when shaping? Thanks for the good pics..nice..

The center dent is about 1/2" deep. When I was putting in the center dent I went slow as to control the amount of taper.

Kirk

mikieson

New in Town
well i got my fed iv in today..bashed it and dented it..I like the hat a lot..just not crazy about the color. Its dark..not even close to INDY like I was wanting..:(.....Does it lighten up over time? Can you lighten it up? Has anyone here used a dye? OR anything to get a browner look?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21