Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

RBH

Bartender
Mine arrived in the mail yesterday after 12 days in transit. I spent those 12 days studying creases and when I finally got it I did this to it. I started with a center dent, but my tall head kept bumping the top so I put in a teardrop. Comments or suggestions?

That hat looks great on you!
Now you need to try a Campdraft!!!!!

Hi

I THINK you may have had too much dent in the center because a teardrop commonly takes up more felt than a regular center dent does. If you like the teardrop, I'd forget about it. If you want to go FULL INDY, try a shallower center dent. I swapped a hat from a teardrop to a center dent and it no longer touches my head.

Hope this works!!

Yep Mike is right. I never thought I liked a center dent till the last couple of hats I have.
A center dent made shallow looks great. Just work with it till it 'seems' right.
Good luck!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm lucky in that my measured size is 59.5, so I went with a 60. With a couple of felt strips under the sweatband the fit is perfect, and I expect that over time it will be perfect without the strips.
It probably doesn't matter to you, but the Deluxe is known for not shrinking like the Imperial. In any case you have a nice looking hat that will last a lifetime!

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Reblocked both my Feds this week. They get better every time I work on them.

TheFeds_zpsa83a986a.jpg

BigFitz

Practically Family
My dark brown IV arrived the day before yesterday. I measure 58.5cm so ordered a 59 as per Hatsdirect. It is big on my head with the brim resting on my ears so I used half the foam strip that was supplied and attached it to the sweat at the back. Fits fine now. I've never bashed a fedora before but watched Penman's youtube video tutorial for a Last Crusade bash. If I have any complaint, it's the tacking of the ribbon in the third photo. It's nitpicking I suppose and I considered sending it back, but I find it doesn't bother me anymore. :)I'm happy.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
My dark brown IV arrived the day before yesterday. I measure 58.5cm so ordered a 59 as per Hatsdirect. It is big on my head with the brim resting on my ears so I used half the foam strip that was supplied and attached it to the sweat at the back. Fits fine now. I've never bashed a fedora before but watched Penman's youtube video tutorial for a Last Crusade bash. If I have any complaint, it's the tacking of the ribbon in the third photo. It's nitpicking I suppose and I considered sending it back, but I find it doesn't bother me anymore. :)I'm happy.

Looks terrific BigFitz!

g.durand

One Too Many
Looks terrific BigFitz!

+1! Nice job on the crease. You could (carefully) remove that stitch and slide the ribbon down right at that spot. It would probably stay in place and no one would notice the missing stitch. Or you could restitch it yourself or have a hatter do it for you.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks great. I ordered a Tawny Fawn the other week, and am about to order another in a different colour. The proportions on these are really nice.

BigFitz

Practically Family
Thank you ManofKent and DesertDan. I'm considering a purchase of one in gray, but that will be well into the future I'm afraid. This is my go to hat for now. I only have two other fedoras and one is a mess and the other needs sold as it's just too big. Can't wait to see that tawny fawn ManofKent.

ManofKent

Thank you ManofKent and DesertDan. I'm considering a purchase of one in gray, but that will be well into the future I'm afraid. This is my go to hat for now. I only have two other fedoras and one is a mess and the other needs sold as it's just too big. Can't wait to see that tawny fawn ManofKent.

Here you go:

I'm trying to decide whether to go up to a 61. The 60 is definitely smaller than my campdraft 60, and whilst this isn't tight, I'll need to use the stretcher if it shrinks at all.

ManofKent

Personally although I like a centre dent and strong pinch - I'm not specifically wanting to copy Indiana Jones. What's become known as an 'indy bash' is a pretty classic way of bashing hats.

ManofKent

Yes it does - although you could easily remove it (only tacked in with a few blobs of glue).

Just ordered a Moonstone & Dark Brown - I couldn't decide which and convinced myself that the saving on combined shipping made sense over spreading the purchases ;)

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Yes it does - although you could easily remove it (only tacked in with a few blobs of glue).

Just ordered a Moonstone & Dark Brown - I couldn't decide which and convinced myself that the saving on combined shipping made sense over spreading the purchases ;)

Good thinking! I did the same thing a few weeks ago, same colours too. :D
Hats shipped early last week and should be arriving soon. Hopefully.

ManofKent

Inspired pretzel logic Richard.

Mike - it also means only one box to smuggle past my wife :D

Good thinking! I did the same thing a few weeks ago, same colours too. :D
Hats shipped early last week and should be arriving soon. Hopefully.

Good choices (although I love my Tawny Fawn). I'd have been tempted by the Carbon Grey if I didn't have a Squatter in Steel on the 3 month order (I think Steel and Carbon grey are pretty muh the same colour).

Landman

One Too Many
Guys, all the new Feds look great!

I have a black Fed IV and love it but don't wear black hats much. I currently have a Moonstone Fed IV on it's way. I've always been a thin ribbon guy but since joining the Lounge I seem to have acquired a taste for wider ribbons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR