Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
I'm in the UK so mine will be different. We pretty almost always get caught with stuff from the states, but stuff from Australia often slips through. Only £31 for the two hats, but my last two purchases slipped through without any charges. Even with the extra they're still a good deal.

That's nice! I got burned on mine: 103 €...of which 30 was described as "formalities"...filthy little thieveses. With the shipping cost, that comes up to 200 € per hat, about 265 USD...If I'd known beforehand, I'd have bought only one, so its good I didn't know. :D

Good thing all those taxes keep people employed, and our country's infrastructure more or less sound. And pockets lined. :p

Headshots will have to wait until I get back from holiday. Gone for two weeks, in about 10 minutes. :cool:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm in the US and had stuff shipped from Guam and Japan before without having to pay a custgoms bill. So I don't know if this is a regular thing or if it's some countries have it and some don't.

It depends on what treaties the sender country has going with the receiver country. In example, when both countries are inside The European Union, the receiver is not billed. But as MoK says we have to pay customs and VAT when the sender resides in USA. For me in Denmark that amounts to a little over 30% of the price incl. shipping (shipping a hat from US is often around $40).

The European customs people are always on the lookout for parcels from US, while others seem to slip under the radar. I've heard folks above our heads claim, that we're fighting a trade-war with you guys. They claim ... we pay! [huh]

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
It depends on what treaties the sender country has going with the receiver country. In example, when both countries are inside The European Union, the receiver is not billed. But as MoK says we have to pay customs and VAT when the sender resides in USA. For me in Denmark that amounts to a little over 30% of the price incl. shipping (shipping a hat from US is often around $40).

The European customs people are always on the lookout for parcels from US, while others seem to slip under the radar. I've heard folks above our heads claim, that we're fighting a trade-war with you guys. They claim ... we pay! [huh]

I had no idea any of that was going on, and I'm sorry that our governments are being childish as well as the US being blinded by pride.

What I can say is that... They are really nice hats, and I'd say they are worth paying the customs bill. I just gotta wait to get one though.

I also had a question about the hats, but I forgot what it was.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Don't hold your breath. I also live in California; I've ordered things from Japan, Canada, the U.K., South America, and, germane to this conversation, Australia (specifically hats), and I've never once received a customs bill.

Oh? The more you know. So it sounds like the US (or at least California) does not have a customs bill.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I have a question. For those of you experienced hat owners, is there anything that should come naturally when wearing a different crown shape? Meaning going from tapered to straight. Because my fedoras right now have a taper. One slight, one obvious, and I was wondering if anyone can help me along with that odd shift. I just find it odd trying to picture myself wearing a straight crown with a center dent, but I do look forward to owning a Fed IV.

m0nk

One Too Many
You never know what you're going to like until you've tried different styles. I thought early on that I'd like a tapered crown, but I grew to like the strait sided crown. I do have a Bogart-inspired custom hat that has some taper due to how the Bogart crease works out, but most of my hats are somewhat squared/strait sided. Give each a try and see how it goes.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
If they'll let you take photos of the shop it would be interesting if you could share.

Didn't get chance in the end -3 hr round trip from Sydney, so had to make do with a phone conversation and an online order..

Lets see if the Fed can compete with my love of the Camp Draft..

I'll get up there at some point MOK and take some photos and get them online...( upside down probably)

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
I just purchased my first real hat. Akubra Fed 4 Heritage Fawn.

pics from seller.

apaNBgJ.jpg

95CG7CQ.jpg

carranty

One of the Regulars
I just purchased my first real hat. Akubra Fed 4 Heritage Fawn.

pics from seller.

apaNBgJ.jpg

Very nice, you don't see many heritage fawn Feds. I'd be very interested in seeing a few outdoors shots of this one (with a few headshots). I'm strongly considering getting one myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy