Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Very nice, you don't see many heritage fawn Feds. I'd be very interested in seeing a few outdoors shots of this one (with a few headshots). I'm strongly considering getting one myself.

I dont quite know what you mean by outdoor shots. Do you want me to place it outside in sunlight and photograph it? When i get it I will do just that.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
I just purchased my first real hat. Akubra Fed 4 Heritage Fawn.

pics from seller.

apaNBgJ.jpg

95CG7CQ.jpg

Love that bash - I'm going to have to take mine to an expert for the bash I think - makes such a huge difference!

carranty

One of the Regulars
I dont quite know what you mean by outdoor shots. Do you want me to place it outside in sunlight and photograph it? When i get it I will do just that.

Yep, that's what I meant. I think outdoor shots, out of direct sunlight, best reflect the true colour of a hat.

Give it a go yourself first - in the very unlikely event it goes wrong you can always get it re-bashed.
I couldn't agree more. For example, this is my new Akubra Campdraft (I tried to duplicate the angle in xbeatles4x's first photo to make a direct comparison easier):

Akubra_CD_Silverbelly_7_zpsa2d1f278.jpg

This is the second of only two hats I've ever bashed in my life, both drybashed--no steam, no water. Is it as perfect as xbeatles4x's new hat? No, but I think it's pretty close. If I can do it with my fists of ham and fingers of butter, anyone can do it. And bashing it yourself makes it uniquely your hat. And, as ManofKent stated, if you're not happy with the results you can always have it re-done by a professional. Give it a try!

Since this is the "I love the Fed IV!!" thread, I'll veer back towards the main topic by posting a couple of photos of mine:

Akubra_Fed_IV_1_zpsc2a809dd.jpg

Akubra_Fed_IV_2_zps1267a9b0.jpg

I forgot to take a photo of the top of the hat, but it's a simple relatively-shallow center dent which you've all seen before.

^ Thank you Sir! After seeing photos of your Tawny Fawn Fed IV I'm seriously considering one for myself when finances permit.

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that the Tawny Fawn is a slightly warmer color than the Heritage Fawn, or is it the other way around?

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
My fed arrived today! Ordered the Heritage in grey - and it looks amazing. Have started to work on a dry bash and will post photos when I'm happy! Zombie - your dry bash on the camp draft again sets the standard, hence me leaving the steam alone until I feel it's really going to save me.. So excited to finally have the Fed! Held off to date - because they don't come cheap compared to some of the other bargain lids out there!

Looks great Zombie, really suits you. Is that the regular or Deluxe ? and just the 'dark brown' ?
Thank you. As much as I'm enjoying my new Campdraft, in my mind there's something about the dimensions of the Fed IV that give it a slight edge in the "looks" department, as though Akubra studied every fedora from every era and managed to define and combine the best attributes of each to achieve that classic look. And, yes, it's the "regular" Imperial Quality felt in dark brown.

...Zombie - your dry bash on the camp draft again sets the standard...
You're far too kind, but I thank you for the compliment. The photo I posted was taken from a rather flattering angle; if you could see my hat in person you'd immediately notice how vaguely-defined the teardrop actually is, but I prefer that imperfect, hand-shaped look. I'm looking forward to wearing it in a decent rainstorm so that I can refine it a bit while it's wet and hopefully "lock in" the shape after it's dry...if I can wait that long. ;) We don't have a teakettle or any other means of applying a sufficient amount of steam I could use to shape the hat, so water will have to do.

...So excited to finally have the Fed! Held off to date - because they don't come cheap compared to some of the other bargain lids out there!
There are less expensive lids out there, but I don't know how many of them come with Akubra's reputation for durability. I'm 52 years old and, considering when, where, and how I wear my hats, I'm convinced they'll still be around after I'm dead and gone. So, in the long-run, I believe they are a bargain.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
nigeloscar, that is a good looking lid. My next Fed will be a grey color. I am just not sure which one. I am leaning toward carbon grey just because I really like it. I know that the moonstone is said to be way more versatile. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy