Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Maguire

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Before I get into the foam gig Maquire, I wanted to thank and commend Bill for taking the time to write an excellent post.

Like he stated, I only steam what area of my beat up old Sydney needed it. It was creased badly in part of the crown and brim. All fixed up.

Same goes for spraying with water...an example being my Fed IV D Moonie.
It came with a mushroom taper and the point just wouldn't stay with a dry bash. Sparayed that area with water and let it air dry. Still holding.

As for the foam...I wear a 60. But, have been ordering 61 Akubra's lately (except for the FIVDs...still 60). Ordered a size up due to my concern with shrinkage/taper. The foam works great and doesn't seem to ruin the shape. I place my foam right where the felt meets the band.

If you think it's too tight, try just using a portion of the foam instead of the entire strip. For my CEO I used a half strip. For my Bogart, about four inches. If I had used the entire strip, they'd be way too tight.
but uh, how does that work. like.. you can pull the foam out? and how does using part of the foam work? Specific areas of the hat or something?

Goose.

Practically Family
Maguire said:
but uh, how does that work. like.. you can pull the foam out? and how does using part of the foam work? Specific areas of the hat or something?
The foam that came with my lids has adhesive on one side. Not made to be removed often. Before I took of the plastic cover of the adhesive, I tried the foam strips in different places to determine what felt best. Think it's a matter of what works best for you...but someone else may know more about it than me.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Maguire said:
just one quick question more- the 59 size was too large but i'm sure a 58 is too small. I put the foam in the hat and now it certainly fits, but its rather tight. Not so tight that i really have to force it on, but tight enough for a little bit of a push to get it sitting right. Is this a problem? Or rather, should i be worried that this may ruin the hat's shape ?

I wear a 59 and my Akubras start out a little big, but seem to conform after wearing. Are you using all the foam? If so, try a couple of strips only on the sides. You could also take out the foam and fold tissues up into 1" or so wide strips and use those instead. After some wear, the hats will conform and be a better fit. The Fed's are great hats, I like the looks of the grey.

Also, with my Campdraft, I pulled the leather sweat down and using a tea kettle I steamed around the inside circumfrence of the felt at the base of the crown. I didn't over do it, just maybe for a minute or so. I tried to do it quickly and evenly. If you try it, keep the hat away from the burner. That seemed to help a little, but wearing it as much as possible seemed to help the most.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Maguire, I placed the foam in my hat without removing the paper. I then read a post by someone possibly Woodfluter of the crooked nose where they said that a felt strip felt better. So I ambled on down to Wallyworld and for a for a buck fifty or so picked up a 8x11 sheet of felt. I cut a couple of strips 11" long and placed them under the sweat band. It did feel better to me at least and the sweatband doesn't pucker as much...It also sounds better than newspaper which is what my Grand Father used. I started with two strips and am now down to one. Just pull them out as it gets tighter and shorten as needed. It's not a science so don't worry about it too much because if nothing else the felt doesn't cost much.

If you want to stick with the foam feel free it is what works for you that is important. As to placement....try different things and see what works. I have my strip at the back and up the sides. Some people end up with just a bit at the sides....put them where they feel comfy.

Maguire

Practically Family
it was coming down to my eyebrows at 59, now it fits about right but it still feels like i'm going to end up expanding ita bit with my head with continued wear. I already put the entire adhesive in. Its not a big deal and i'm quite pleased with my purchase right now, but i don't want its shape warped if bad comes to worse.

Once again i apologize for my ignorance, keep in mind this is my first real deal fedora purchase.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Maguire said:
Once again i apologize for my ignorance, keep in mind this is my first real deal fedora purchase.
The Fed was may first purchase too (well in twenty years) and I am still learning much, and this is a great place to learn it.

Goose.

Practically Family
Maguire said:
Stop now :) It's all good. Imagine the people that look and never post (visitors/lurkers) but learn from questions we ask (I'm new too).

Everyday I learn something new here. Didn't know what I didn't know

I'll consider an apology for ignorance once you tell me that you block/formed a hat backwards. :rolleyes:

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maguire, I use the felt sometimes for a minor fit change but if it is considerably larger, like my Camp Draft was when I first got it, I use strips of craft leather that you can but at craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. It comes in sheets of 8 x 11 or 10 x 12 like the felt but it is about twice as thick and the rough-out style on both sides holds its place well in a hat and does not make near the bulge around the sweatband as does the adhesive strips that come with it. It can even be doubled in areas if need be, and won't leave the permanent creasing on the sweatband like the strips. This is not my idea by the way; I got it from an old thread here long ago before I signed up. I would gladly credit ti to the original person if I could remember who it was. Good luck with whatever you use.

I'm a long oval so I needed strips only on the sides of my Campdraft until it formed to my noggin. I too used felt strips from Wally World, 34 cents for a smaller piece than mentioned above. You can double them over or use them single thickness. Really keeps the sweatband feeling flat against my head.

Goose.

Practically Family
"Bad Day at Black Rock" for me :(
Or is it?

I was just in the other room where I have a few hat boxes stacked up. Told my wife I was going to put a few hats I don't wear into the boxes and put them up in the garage. I said, "who knows, maybe this Hampton will be vintage someday".

She took it off the shelf and put it on herself. She said "I really like this hat but it's too big for me". My reply, "that's the hat you said made my face look fat". (like I ever said that about her jeans ;) ).

She said, "you look better in those Federations or whatever you call them and the one you just got the other day (Bogart)".

So, the Hampton now has a full strip of foam in it and she's wearing it on her way out to run errands.
I think I was scammed :eek:

Goose.

Practically Family
Belegnole said:
LOL, you may have been...at least it's being worn. Plus you made a convert!
Yeah, the beer bottle is half full I guess :)
Linked the post to the "Hat Convert" thread as I saw your use of the word "convert" Belegnole. Posted here as it was foam and FIVD related if for no other reason.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Goose, my wife has been flirting with a couple of my hats lately, too...can't say I'm surprised yours appropriated a fedora. It's only a matter of time before mine are forming to a new head...with longer hair.

Maguire, sounds like you've done the right thing regarding fitting your fedora, and there's some great advice here. All I can add is a similar experience: my Fed IV standard arrived too big, as did my Miller Milan straw, and I used the foam strip to fit them effectively. However, I didn't use the adhesive on the foam; I just kept that paper on and tucked the foam under the sweatband. As the hats conformed to my head, I trimmed the foam down, and when they seemed to reach their proper size, left what little foam in or pulled it out completely. Not using the adhesive side makes this process much easier.

Have fun!

Doublegun

Practically Family
Newbie question: what the difference between the Adventurer and the Fed IV? Last year I ordered an Adventurer from DM and just did not like the way it looked on my mellon (big round head). I like the idea of a tall open crown with straight sides, unlike my current and only hat, a Como.

Suggestions?

Also: how do thes hats fair in tough weather. I prefer wearing a hat to carrying an umbrella.

Also: how is dealing with hatsdirect.com? Never purchased anything off-shore.

Thanks

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Disclaimer: I do not have any Akubra hats at all (yet) so this is all based on what I have read in other threads.

The Adventurer has a more dimensional brim (more difference between the front and the sides) than the Fed IV, where this is only a slight different. The Adventurer has about 3 1/4" at the front and back and 2 3/4" at the sides. The Fed for has 2 3/4" at the front and back and 2 1/2" at the sides.

As for durability, Akubras are supposed to be very good at this. If what people say about them is true, I would much rather have one than an umbrella.

Maguire

Practically Family
i put a full strip of foam in. i'm thinking of trying to trim some out or rip some out (risking it)

by the way, any recommendations for the side of the brim? turn it up? turn it down? i don't want a bell shaped hat, or perhaps i'm just seeing it wrong because the brim looks tremendous. I was at a job interview today wearing it and got compliments nonetheless.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I just sprayed the front half of the brim and bent it down until it stayed at the height (or depth) I wanted it at. I left the sides and back alone because they seemed happy where they were. As I wear it more, the brim is slowly taking on its own more curvy version of the way I originally set it. This is a good thing, as it is starting to look more organically lived in.

Maguire

Practically Family
DSCF1471.jpg

that was earlier. that is a pinstripe suit although it may not look it.

DSCF1472.jpg
this is a BAD picture but at least you get to see the brim better. I apologize for i am very sleep deprived and had an eye doctor appointment earlier so I'm not looking anywhere near presentable, especially the way my hair is sticking out the side.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
"Bad Day at Black Rock" for me :(
Or is it? . . . . . . . So, the Hampton now has a full strip of foam in it and she's wearing it on her way out to run errands.
I think I was scammed :eek:
I'm thinking this is the "Goose that laid the golden egg" instead. (Ok sorry I couldn't resist!)

However it seems like it might be an easy mistake to make, once Mrs. Goose and you find a hat you both like, to order one for her and accidentally select '60' in the size option rather than her smaller, more petite size. Once the wrong hat arrives, well, I'm sure she loves you enough to let you keep it! lol

Maguire - that's a bad picture??? I should look so good. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto