Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Maguire said:
DSCF1471.jpg

Maguire, nice crease but I think you could play it up a little bit more by making your center dent deeper. This would give the crown a little more taper that would compliment your thin stature. Go for some more U or V at the top of the crown. That suit rocks!

Maguire

Practically Family
Excellent, i just tried to adjust it a bit, i am happy with it but i knew there was something "off" about it. I rebashed it and pray it looks different now.

Goose.

Practically Family
ValEag said:
I'm thinking this is the "Goose that laid the golden egg" instead. (Ok sorry I couldn't resist!) ...
Maguire - that's a bad picture??? I should look so good. :D
Yep Jazzncocktails & ValEag...I'm glad she has it. She won't wear it too often, probably just when it rains or is cold. But I'm glad it's being put to use. Just didn't work on my fat noggin.

Which leads me to Maguire...give me a break!!! :) :eek: Like ValEag said, I should look so good. Well, at least you are indeed humble. A trait incumbent of a gentleman.

As for your lid, I would lower the crown a bit in front. Maybe CRH and I are typing the same idea but in different words. As for the side brim, I like mine with a little curl...and the rear as well.

Perhaps you did as CRH suggested. So, As Ryang asked, where's the pics?

Doublegun said:
Also: how do thes hats fair in tough weather. I prefer wearing a hat to carrying an umbrella.
Also: how is dealing with hatsdirect.com? Never purchased anything off-shore.
Thanks
There is a thread about hats fresh from the elements...several Akubra hats referenced. As for me, my Akubra Sydney (Imperial Felt) did fine for many years and is still ticking. My Casual (something they call "pilofelt") didn't fare as well after only one or two storms.

I doubt you will have a problem dealing with Hats Direct, David Morgan, or Everything Australian.

Anyway...time for my "WOW!!! I could've had a V-8!!!" moment.
I wanted a black Akubra. So, the other day I ordered a black Bogart. Then, less than half an hour ago, it dawns on me...I could've had a black Fed IV for only $5.00 more. Man, I'm bummed. What a wiener. :(

Maguire

Practically Family
Sure thing in due time! My thing is, i know there is something that should be done to the brim on the sides.. but i can't exactly say what. Should i curve them up.. curve them down. I know they look somewhat odd straight out.. but i simply can't determine what is the "proper" look for a fedora despite seeing them constantly and having others here to judge from.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Maguire said:
Sure thing in due time! My thing is, i know there is something that should be done to the brim on the sides.. but i can't exactly say what. Should i curve them up.. curve them down. I know they look somewhat odd straight out.. but i simply can't determine what is the "proper" look for a fedora despite seeing them constantly and having others here to judge from.

I think it looks best when you curve them up, right about where the bow starts.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maguire said:

Maguire, I think it looks great but if you want a bit of side curl, try curling the back of the brim a bit more and working it increasingly gentle around each side. You won't be able to raise it a great deal with the FED but you can bring it up more than as it comes. That will bring the sides up slightly and the rise on the sides should then come about to the bow's center or somewhat behind there on both sides. I like mine done that way; gentle on the sides and not too far forward. Raise it-lower it-leave it; whatever you like-I think the crown is OK.

That suit with the hat, on the other hand, makes a spectacular look. Enjoy that hair sticking out while you still have some! :D

Goose.

Practically Family
Maguire said:
... I know they look somewhat odd straight out.. but i simply can't determine what is the "proper" look for a fedora despite seeing them constantly and having others here to judge from.
Well, I guess I'm with you on the preference of a curl. Having said that, I don't see a problem at all with the pics of those here with what appear to be Feds w/o curl; Gilgamark, MattJH, Johnny, and ScottyRocks' (as in his Speed Racer avatar).

Wish mine came with a even curl like WolfWood's, but they didn't. Here's my Moonie that I received about a week or so ago. Tough to get it perfectly even...so I've convinced myself that the uneven curl gives it "character" (cop out).

510187360_jBqgH-S.jpg

Maguire

Practically Family
and you misted it to get that curl on the brim? i try doing it dry.. i may resort to misting tonight though. Pics will come though.

By the way is it just me or does the Fed IV brim seem really large. Is this a standard brim for an old school fedora? Some of my cheaper, shaped fedoras have large brims but they aren't nearly this large.. this seems almost cowboy hatish. That's why i am hesitant regarding my work on the brim.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, it's my impression that the hat looks this way because it is modeled after the IJ hats, which were chosen for their exaggerated, adventurer, 'hero' look. The brim also is dimensional - longer in the front and back than on the sides to avoid, somewhat, the cowboy hat look, especially from the front. The sides dont stick out as much while the front offers more weather/sun protection.

Goose.

Practically Family
Maguire said:
and you misted it to get that curl on the brim? i try doing it dry.. i may resort to misting tonight though. Pics will come though.
If ya mean me about misting it...nope. I did that on my Dark Brown after a few tries doing it dry. Started out looking good and higher rolled, but eventually came down to where this Moonie is anyway. So, on the Moonie pictured, that is just dry curling it by rolling it with my hands while watching "The Young and The Restless" (in other words, while watching the tube or generally goofin').

The only part of the Moonie that has been wet, so far, is the upper portion of the crown at the pinch (front). Kind of mushroomed taper and wouldn't stay down the way I wanted it.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your hat and will care well for it Maguire. Cool beans :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
510187360_jBqgH-S.jpg
[/center]

I really like that Fed in the moonstone. I'm tempted to get one of those. And for your avatar...It's been so windy around my parts that I've been sporting my flatcap lately. You can feel the wind under the brim of your fedora and the Flying Nun has come to mind more than once. lol

Maguire

Practically Family
DSCF1474.jpg

had to kind of slouch down. I can't really get a good picture because i only can take them in one spot in my room (as you can probably tell from looking at any picture i've posted here).

DSCF1475.jpg

bad allergies today, and only had papertowels to blow my nose, so excuse the cut on my nose here.

I hope there is a visible improvement in it, i figure i'm just going to go with it and let the hat sort of fall into place by itself from now on.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Maguire said:
DSCF1474.jpg

had to kind of slouch down. I can't really get a good picture because i only can take them in one spot in my room (as you can probably tell from looking at any picture i've posted here).

DSCF1475.jpg

bad allergies today, and only had papertowels to blow my nose, so excuse the cut on my nose here.

I hope there is a visible improvement in it, i figure i'm just going to go with it and let the hat sort of fall into place by itself from now on.

Looking good Maguire. My thoughts on it, for what it's worth...(about 2 cents tops) is you might try to tighten the front pinch and slightly deepen the indents behind the front pinch. But even if left as is, it looks good. A bash is subjective and personal, so wear it the way you like it. Spend a little time checking out the great lids pictured here and you'll get to know what your preferences are. You can always make adjustments. The Fed is a great hat, enjoy it. It's the kind of hat you can wear in the rain and snow and it softens up and gets more comfortable. :)

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Doublegun said:
Also: how is dealing with hatsdirect.com? Never purchased anything off-shore.
Doublegun, in my experience, dealing with Hats Direct has been fantastic. Like you, I hadn't purchased anything off-shore prior to discovering the FL and the great Fed IVs that people here love. I had questions, primarily about color and sizing, so I emailed Hats Direct (the address is on their site; I believe it's sales@hatsdirect.com, but check that).

Both Jenny and Deb in customer service are fantastic. They walked me through a thorough measuring of my cranium to help me decide whether I should go for the 60 or the 59 cm. When I wasn't sure about a Tawny Fawn Fed IV Standard or a Heritage Fawn Fed IV Deluxe, they went through detailed color explanations for me...and even worked to convince me to purchase the lower-cost standard, based on my desire for a lighter color, choosing one for me that had a deluxe leather sweatband (at no extra cost).

My most recent experience with them confirms their great customer service: I ordered and paid for a 59 cm Stylemaster in Moonstone, which was on back order. By the time it came in and was ready to be shipped, I'd become so happy with my open crown Fed that I didn't want a molded crown Stylemaster--at least not yet. Instead, the lighter color of the Silverbelly Campdraft looked appealing, so I e-mailed them to stop one order and make the change. Their response? Not only did they make the change for me readily, but even though the Campdraft was a couple of dollars more than the Stylemaster, since I'd already paid them, they waived the cost difference to save me the trouble. And on top of that, when I expressed my interest in trying out a 1 1/4" ribbon on the Campdraft (blasphemy to the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon, I know), they indicated that they'd ship a ribbon to me that I could attach myself. They've even been trying out colors and making recommendations for ribbons for me!

This is some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. Go for an order with Hats Direct--I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Steve

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Chuck Bobuck said:
Looking good Maguire. My thoughts on it, for what it's worth...(about 2 cents tops) is you might try to tighten the front pinch and slightly deepen the indents behind the front pinch.
I agree with Chuck...great looking lid, and a tighter front pinch might give it even more character. Well done!

Maguire

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
I agree with Chuck...great looking lid, and a tighter front pinch might give it even more character. Well done!
I agree on the front pinch, but i've tried my best to give it the tightest pinch possible and it just reverts to the way it looks there although its probably more defined in real life than in a photo in a dark room.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and help, i may end up getting another fed IV when i get the $$ in moonstone or brown.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Maguire said:
I agree on the front pinch, but i've tried my best to give it the tightest pinch possible and it just reverts to the way it looks there although its probably more defined in real life than in a photo in a dark room.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and help, i may end up getting another fed IV when i get the $$ in moonstone or brown.

Give it some water. Sprinkle the desired area with some water, or apply it by hand, and crease it. No need to completely soak it. Once dry it will keep the new pinch.;)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
Give it some water. Sprinkle the desired area with some water, or apply it by hand, and crease it. No need to completely soak it. Once dry it will keep the new pinch.;)

I highly recommend a good 4 finger trigger spray bottle with an adjustable nozzle. Spray it until it's completely wet. More water will run off the hat. That's when you stop. Pinch it to wear you want it, as said above, and it'll stay. Put the hat down right side up on a large upside down bowl or some such so that the brim doesnt distort. By the morning, it'll be ready to wear.

ryang

New in Town
ya Maguire, use some water to hold the pinch (or any of the bashing). I felt the fed IV looked too big on me at first - my daughter said I looked like Willie Wonka. I deepened the center dent and curled up the sides a bit and I think it helped quite a bit. As for using water, I know that you are supposed to use distilled water but I am impatient and just wet my hands in the sink and kept applying it to the parts that I was working with until they were pretty wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy