Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

RBH

Bartender
.... and let me tell you this:

Walking in there wearing khaki pants, brown leather walking shoes, leather bomber and a fedora made me feel like a huge city boy... which is odd, because my community is mostly a farming community. ....

You should not have.
Here is one of Mike Disfarmers photos from rural Arkansas.
Sometime around the 1940's.

disfarmer+6.jpg

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
You should not have.
Here is one of Mike Disfarmers photos from rural Arkansas.
Sometime around the 1940's.

disfarmer+6.jpg

That's... yea, that guy pretty much was me in Boot Barn. The hat would be more moderately sized (like 4in crown, 2 1/4in brim), shoes would be more faded and my glasses are modern Ray-Bans, but yea... Funny how the style and look has not changed in the slightest. Hahaha.

I think I saw this once before on a thread.. maybe the Curse Of Indiana Jones, there was a photo that was dated back to the 1930s of some gentlemen in a field wearing a similar outfit. It just felt funny being in a western store. Around town, I feel normal. Just in that store, I felt like a city boy.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
But the 'pokes were thinking "plow boy"... I'm in & out of western/feed/tractor supply stores all the time, sometimes from the ranch, sometimes from the office. NEVER have I felt like a city boy, more rancher/breeder than working hand/rider, sure, but never a city boy...

It was just too much cowboy for me to handle. I did find some hat cleaning products too that would be great for my fedoras, so there's a plus. Saw a trench coat, some nice boots...

Say, you own a FedIV, correct? I do believe I've seen some of your postings somewhere in this thread. Mind if I asked you to comment on the fit? Err, rather... I don't know how to say it or know what the termanology is for it (if there is any)... I'm convinced I'm a size 58 (7 1/4). Though some have mentioned the FedIV to have a long oval shape to it. I wasn't able to find a long oval 7 1/4 hat, but the 7 1/8 (57) long oval felt like a normal 58.

If it's a long oval, do I size down? Or... what's the suggestion? I sent an email to hats direct, but since they're on the other side of the Pacific, I have to wait for a reply since it's like maybe 4 or 5 AM over yonder.

I can wear a 7 1/2 XLO as well as a 7 5/8 LO.
All of my Akubras, Fed4, 5 Campdrafts, Boss of the Plains, are all 61's.
The reason the smaller size LO felt the same is you feel the pressure more on the front & back of your head than the sides.
With new Akubras I'd get the 58, especially if it is the Fed4.
My 61 Campdrafts all fit larger than my 61 Fed4, but they all shaped to my noggin after creasing & wearing regularly . HTH

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It has been my experience with Fed IVs to get the size I normally wear. I wear a 7 3/8 (59). When I got mine, they touched my head front and back with room on the sides. I'm a LO and the Feds are ROs. As soon as I creased it, it fit a little more normally, but it wasn't until I wore and sweated in it that it conformed perfectly to my head.

If I had bought one size down, these hats would be crushing my head now, and I wouldn't wear them. One size up, and they'd not have shrunk down to fit.

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm with scottyrocks, get your regular size. Campdrafts and Feds are slightly different, maybe not even a half size different. Neither is what I would call a tight fit. I ordered my first one a size up, it was huge and never did shrink enough to fit right, its got a ton of the reducing tape in it just to keep it from falling to my ears and this is 2 years later with lots of sweating in it (it's my snow shoveling hat). I now order all akubras in my regular size. A slightly tight fit isn't necessarily the end of the world, it allows you more room for a jaunty angle. You''ll just have to bite the bullet and find out for yourself. the first one probably won't be your last.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I can wear a 7 1/2 XLO as well as a 7 5/8 LO.
All of my Akubras, Fed4, 5 Campdrafts, Boss of the Plains, are all 61's.
The reason the smaller size LO felt the same is you feel the pressure more on the front & back of your head than the sides.
With new Akubras I'd get the 58, especially if it is the Fed4.
My 61 Campdrafts all fit larger than my 61 Fed4, but they all shaped to my noggin after creasing & wearing regularly . HTH

Thanks, it helps a lot! :D

It has been my experience with Fed IVs to get the size I normally wear. I wear a 7 3/8 (59). When I got mine, they touched my head front and back with room on the sides. I'm a LO and the Feds are ROs. As soon as I creased it, it fit a little more normally, but it wasn't until I wore and sweated in it that it conformed perfectly to my head.

If I had bought one size down, these hats would be crushing my head now, and I wouldn't wear them. One size up, and they'd not have shrunk down to fit.

Hm... I'm pretty sure I'm an RO. There was room in the front and back when I wore the 57 LO hat.

I'm with scottyrocks, get your regular size. Campdrafts and Feds are slightly different, maybe not even a half size different. Neither is what I would call a tight fit. I ordered my first one a size up, it was huge and never did shrink enough to fit right, its got a ton of the reducing tape in it just to keep it from falling to my ears and this is 2 years later with lots of sweating in it (it's my snow shoveling hat). I now order all akubras in my regular size. A slightly tight fit isn't necessarily the end of the world, it allows you more room for a jaunty angle. You''ll just have to bite the bullet and find out for yourself. the first one probably won't be your last.

Well, I guess just to be safe, might as well order just the one and see how it works out rather than buying the two I originally had in mind. If it has to be that way, alright then.

Thanks again guys for the information and help. It's very much appreciated. I would return the favor if I were able to, but this is the internet, so.... yea.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
"The Federation is not a 'long oval' shape.
The sizing is irregular as the blocks are pre-decimal, pre-war.
If you generally take size 58, your Fed size would be 59 (measuring 58.5)."

This is the reply I received from Hats Direct.

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tommy - my head is pretty much 60.5 cm. In Campdraft I'm a solid 60 so I ordered my first Fed IV in a 60 and whilst it fitted, after a few wears it snugged up a bit to the point where it's a little snug without an occasional slight stretch. I ordered the next two in a 61 and needed tape for a while but they snugged up to the point that they're okay without (although it took a while).

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Tommy - my head is pretty much 60.5 cm. In Campdraft I'm a solid 60 so I ordered my first Fed IV in a 60 and whilst it fitted, after a few wears it snugged up a bit to the point where it's a little snug without an occasional slight stretch. I ordered the next two in a 61 and needed tape for a while but they snugged up to the point that they're okay without (although it took a while).

Hm... The best advice would be to go a size up then, I take it. I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this. The general consensus on the sizing leans towards going up on size, at least with the Imperial FedIVs.

The Fed IV that you received that was a size 60, how is it now? I specuate the two that are in a 61 are the moonstone grey and the dark brown that you shared in answer to the question I had. The ".. they're okay without.." hints that those two have some room in them... do they fly off?

ManofKent

Hm... The best advice would be to go a size up then, I take it. I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this. The general consensus on the sizing leans towards going up on size, at least with the Imperial FedIVs.

The Fed IV that you received that was a size 60, how is it now? I specuate the two that are in a 61 are the moonstone grey and the dark brown that you shared in answer to the question I had. The ".. they're okay without.." hints that those two have some room in them... do they fly off?

I still regularly wear the 60, I just give it a very slight stretch every few wears - it's snug without, but not overly uncomfortably so. As to the 61's they're still slightly roomy without tape but they've not flown off (I've only had them about 3 months, and are worn as part of a decent rotation so may shrink a little more with time). I suspect a 60.5 would be perfect for me in the same way a 60 in the Campdraft is pretty much spot on. If I order another new I'd go the 61 route, but if I came across a used 60 in a colour I hadn't got I'd still buy it :) In my experience they're almost exactly half a size smaller than the campdraft, but I've only got the one campdraft and manufacturing variances may play a part.

Last edited:

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
I still regularly wear the 60, I just give it a very slight stretch every few wears - it's snug without, but not overly uncomfortably so. As to the 61's they're still slightly roomy without tape but they've not flown off (I've only had them about 3 months, and are worn as part of a decent rotation so may shrink a little more with time). I suspect a 60.5 would be perfect for me in the same way a 60 in the Campdraft is pretty much spot on. If I order another new I'd go the 61 route, but if I came across a used 60 in a colour I hadn't got I'd still buy it :) In my experience they're almost exactly half a size smaller than the campdraft, but I've only got the one campdraft and manufacturing variances may play a part.

At any case, it seems like I can't go wrong with going 58 or 59. I know the brown one will be worn every day. Pretty much every day. The moonstone is only for dressier occasions, which would be up to about 2-4 times a week only being worn for like maybe an hour each time.

...My 61 Campdrafts all fit larger than my 61 Fed4, but they all shaped to my noggin after creasing & wearing regularly...
Interesting. My Campdraft and my Fed IVs are all size 60, and the Campdraft fits tighter than either of the Feds. Mine are all made with the Imperial felt, not the deluxe Heritage felt, so that and the manufacturing variances that Richard mentioned above might be the reasons.

ManofKent

Interesting. My Campdraft and my Fed IVs are all size 60, and the Campdraft fits tighter than either of the Feds. Mine are all made with the Imperial felt, not the deluxe Heritage felt, so that and the manufacturing variances that Richard mentioned above might be the reasons.

Mine are all Imperial felt - as I've only one Campdraft I've only got a small sample to base my judgement on but My 60 Fed feels about 1/2 a size smaller than the 60 Campdraft and the 61 Feds 1/2 a size larger. If I'm a good boy I know my wife has a size 60 Squatter wrapped up under the tree so it will be interesting to see how that compares.

I don't know what the acceptable manufacturing tolerances are, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was approaching 1/2 a size, so anyone of us could be comparing a slightly oversized hat against a slightly undersized hat. Then you've got to take in to account different headshapes, different creases, different amounts of steam used in shaping, different climates, variations in felt and leather....

Landman

One Too Many
Tommy, sounds like you are one of those unlucky guys like me who is in between sizes. Based on how you described the 7 1/8 LO and 7 1/4 fit on you I would recommend going with the 7 1/4. I would rather have a hat that fits loosely at first than one that is too tight. All my Akubra's that have been a tad large have snugged up nicely after wearing them for awhile.

PS: Look back a few pages at the picture Zombie_61 posted of his new Fed IV. He could pull it down over his ears but I believe it fits him nicely now.

Edit: Zombie's post is number 1293.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
At any case, it seems like I can't go wrong with going 58 or 59. I know the brown one will be worn every day. Pretty much every day. The moonstone is only for dressier occasions, which would be up to about 2-4 times a week only being worn for like maybe an hour each time.

This is too vague an estimation, afaic. 58 or 59 will fit very differently on a head. If you're getting a Fed IV, and are in between sizes, go for the larger size. I cannot speak for the other Akubra models, though.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
This is too vague an estimation, afaic. 58 or 59 will fit very differently on a head. If you're getting a Fed IV, and are in between sizes, go for the larger size. I cannot speak for the other Akubra models, though.

Well, I tried on the hats at that western shop. Aside from the hats feeling stiff, it was the 58 that had the most comfortable fit. Felt like a nice fit, no hassle bringing it down to that spot I wear my hats at now like it was with a RO 57. Going up a size to a 59 is what I read being the advice on this thread and even that email from Hats Direct.

I guess what I meant was that if I go my size 58, I should be fine. Just that the hat may or may not have a tighter fit over time. So it's more of a gamble. Going up a size as recommended to a 59 shows no cons either. So either way, going with my size or going up one size project very favorable outcomes. Granted the variable of the manufacturing variations are the only things that can alter the outcome, but it's only slight as it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner