Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Landman

One Too Many
If they sell western hats then that is your best bet. The style of the hat doesn't matter. It is the size that is important. If a size 7 3/8 Stetson western hat fits you well then you are a size 7 3/8. The hats with more basic sizes like small, medium and large don't really help you. If you are going to order an Akubra (or any other good hat) then you need to be more specific about size.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
If they sell western hats then that is your best bet. The style of the hat doesn't matter. It is the size that is important. If a size 7 3/8 Stetson western hat fits you well then you are a size 7 3/8. The hats with more basic sizes like small, medium and large don't really help you. If you are going to order an Akubra (or any other good hat) then you need to be more specific about size.

This is starting to get interesting. The research, I mean.

We want a bit of a snug fit with our hats, right?
That depends on the wearer and what he/she considers to be more comfortable. I think most of the members here would say slightly snug is better than slightly loose, if for no other reason than not having to worry about a gust of wind blowing our hats off of our heads. But you definitely don't want a hat that's so tight that the sweatband leaves a mark on your forehead and/or gives you a headache.

The folks at Hats Direct once told me that the Federation is closer to a long(er) oval and the campdraft is less so, more "round oval" than "long oval". That might explain why you didn't note much of a difference, as your head is less long oval.
I didn't know about (or think about) there being a difference in ovality between the two hats; you could be right. Well, that and the fact that the circumference of my Campdraft is 58.5 cm--a full centimeter smaller than my Fed IVs. lol

This is starting to get interesting. The research, I mean.
I concur. And if you're looking for information about hats, you've certainly come to the right place.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
That depends on the wearer and what he/she considers to be more comfortable. I think most of the members here would say slightly snug is better than slightly loose, if for no other reason than not having to worry about a gust of wind blowing our hats off of our heads. But you definitely don't want a hat that's so tight that the sweatband leaves a mark on your forehead and/or gives you a headache.....

I concur. And if you're looking for information about hats, you've certainly come to the right place.

True, true. I work out on a golf course, and that has me zipping off away in a cart with no top to do whatever. Be it to get something, drop something off, moving, etc etc. One issue I face is the hat being blown off unless I pull it down or tilt my head down. Same happens when there's some wind. My brown c-crown flies off easily as opposed to my grey pinch because it's a mite smaller as mentioned, but both fly off. Not to mention that the grey one flies off when driving city speed limits in a car. The hats are a decent fit with the general size "Medium". So I would say for my preference, I'd want a size that's capable of staying on when driving 45MPH on a calm day. As for my size-size, the smallest I measured was 22in and the biggest was 23in at one point. Did an average test, it came out to about 22 1/2 in, which I'm guessing is closer to a 57 or 58.

Research led me to this website over the summer months thanks to my obsessive fascination with fedoras thanks to a birthday gift from my sister and from playing a game called L.A. Noire.

Sorry for my rambling as well. Haha.

Landman

One Too Many
Because of my work I spend a lot of time outdoors in either a Jeep or Kawasaki Mule. I prefer my hats to fit snug so they don't fly off. I do have some nice vintage hats that fit looser but usually don't wear those in windy situations. I agree with Zombie though and prefer slightly snug over too loose.

Harry also mentioned that the Fed IV is a more long oval block. I never thought about that so I compared my Fed IV to a Campdraft and definitely agree. The long oval block is obvious just looking at the opening.

Landman

One Too Many
A measurement of 22 to 23 inches is too general. You need to measure around your head where the hat will sit and get an accurate measurement of up to 1/8 of an inch. You would be amazed at how much difference 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch can make in sizing a hat. A good hat shop or western wear store should be able to measure you or have a friend do it using a cloth tape.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Because of my work I spend a lot of time outdoors in either a Jeep or Kawasaki Mule. I prefer my hats to fit snug so they don't fly off. I do have some nice vintage hats that fit looser but usually don't wear those in windy situations. I agree with Zombie though and prefer slightly snug over too loose.

Harry also mentioned that the Fed IV is a more long oval block. I never thought about that so I compared my Fed IV to a Campdraft and definitely agree. The long oval block is obvious just looking at the opening.

I have three Fed IVs, and they are regular ovals out of the box. All have conformed to my LO head with wear and sweat.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
A measurement of 22 to 23 inches is too general. You need to measure around your head where the hat will sit and get an accurate measurement of up to 1/8 of an inch. You would be amazed at how much difference 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch can make in sizing a hat. A good hat shop or western wear store should be able to measure you or have a friend do it using a cloth tape.

I guess I can stop by the store today.

joeyorav

New in Town
My Fed IV Deluxe has been soaked in the rain twice! And I do mean soaked! It's still alive and kicking!

I hear the deluxe has a better felt in terms of water resistance and the pouncing is much smoother than on the standard. I can't compare as I don't have a standard Fed IV.

RBH

Bartender
Yea... Sorry for being "that guy" to have to ask such a question.

No, I mean about fit of hat and the Fed IV.
You are here to learn a little but the bottom line is get a correct size for your head and then go from there.
While you may like a Indy style now your choice may go a different route later.
I used to never think about a hat with a less than 2 3\4 brim. But now I really favor a 2 1\2 - 2 5\8s.
Good luck !

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
No, I mean about fit of hat and the Fed IV.
You are here to learn a little but the bottom line is get a correct size for your head and then go from there.
While you may like a Indy style now your choice may go a different route later.
I used to never think about a hat with a less than 2 3\4 brim. But now I really favor a 2 1\2 - 2 5\8s.
Good luck !

As of now, my two fedoras measure to 2 1/4in brims. It's not entirely bad, just that it seems like certain outfits could use a wider brimmed hat... Isn't the FedIV 2 5/8 X 2 1/2 on the brim? I'm just not a fan of small brims. Tried it, didn't like it. 2 1/4in is probably the smallest I ever want to go.

And thanks!

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
According to the Hats Direct website, 2-3/4 front and back, 2-1/2 on the sides.

Right, right... I must have gotten it confused with the Penman Raiders brim. 2 7/8 X 2 5/8in. I was wondering why I said 2 5/8 X 2 1/2.

Well, 2 3/4 X 2 1/2 is wide enough for me. The thought of anything bigger scares me (and that's what she said).

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
According to my research, 7 1/8 is a bit tight on me. It felt like I was forcing the hat down to a comfortable spot, and 7 1/4 just went to that comfort spot without a hassle.

There was one exception though, and I did take this into consideration, is the long oval that y'all mentioned. I'm going to email hatsdirect, but 7 1/8 LO felt like it was the 7 1/4. I would have tried a 7 1/4 LO, but I couldn't find it. This was done at Boot Barn, and let me tell you this:

Walking in there wearing khaki pants, brown leather walking shoes, leather bomber and a fedora made me feel like a huge city boy... which is odd, because my community is mostly a farming community.

But yea, 7 1/4 (58) felt comfortable. 7 1/8 (not the LO) felt like a fight to get it in the right spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner