Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

m0nk

One Too Many
Yeah, at first I was a little nervous that it would be a little too light or too blue, but it's just the right grey color for me and I'm really happy with it.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Just posted this pic in the new hats thread as well, but thought I'd post it here since it looks darker in the lighting of this pic than in the other one I posted:

Moon_Fed3.JPG

That is sweet. You did a great job on that one.

Duper

Practically Family
Ok, here it is. The new Fed IV Moonstone, and quick review:

Moon_Fed.JPG

The felt is a lot stiffer than the brown was when I first got that one, but the fit is the same; tad large as my other Akubras were, and I know it'll shrink and conform. It took a quick dry crease rather well, though because of the stiffness, the pinch isn't holding quite as well. I'm sure that with a spray bottle of distilled water I'll be golden...

The color is better than I expected, as I noted before. I also really like the bow/ribbon work more than on my brown one. It has a classier look to it, which is what I was after with the color.

I'm leaning towards trimming the brim to a uniform 2.5" around, though I'll likely keep it as-is for a couple weeks and give it some thought.

Looks terrific! You did a great job with the crease.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Caterpillar smoosh?

Picture a caterpillar. Not the insect. The earth mover. Think of the the shape of the endless track.

Hold the hat out in front of you, looking at the top of the crown. Grab your hat by the sides of the brim, with your fingers inside the hat resting in the sweat, and the brim curled into your palms. Compress the sides about half way in. Then start moving your hands up and down without letting the pressure off the sides you are pushing in. This will loosen up a hat in a hurry. You can even rotate your hands a little for some added twist to the action.

m0nk

One Too Many
Picture a caterpillar. Not the insect. The earth mover. Think of the the shape of the endless track.

Hold the hat out in front of you, looking at the top of the crown. Grab your hat by the sides of the brim, with your fingers inside the hat resting in the sweat, and the brim curled into your palms. Compress the sides about half way in. Then start moving your hands up and down without letting the pressure off the sides you are pushing in. This will loosen up a hat in a hurry. You can even rotate your hands a little for some added twist to the action.
It sure sounds like it would loosen up a hat, but with the Fed, wouldn't that cause the metal reed in the sweat to get all wonky and kinked? Thanks!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Yes, they get a little bent out of shape but you don't see or feel it when wearing it. And the hat looks and feels great. But, if you don't like the idea of less than perfectly oval reed, then don't do it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Fed should not really have any problems handling rain. I have used a water repellent that I got from Penman Hat Co. on mine just for posterity's sake, but Akubras are built to withstand the Australian outback. A bit of rain doesn't hurt them.

m0nk

One Too Many
Yeah, I'm with everyone else. I have 2 Fed IV's (3 Akubra brand total) now and am waiting, patiently, for some rain to come to help loosen my new hat up a touch. I think, if anything, Akubras get better with the weather; it's what they're "made" for.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

I tried this technique, gently, this weekend with a new-to-me, moderately stiff vintage Open Road, and it does seem to have loosened up the hat to allow it to conform better to my alien-shaped skull. That, and sweating in it a little.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Regarding water treatments

Thanks all for the responses. I asked only because I saw on one of the Fed vs. Henry threads a post that mentioned Steve Delk had suggested a water repellent application to the Henry. This led to the question, since if a 80/20 fur blend hat is recommended by a knowledgeable source to be water protected, should not a 100% rabbit be also (even if it's an Akubra)? I love the hat, and can't wait to give it a good soaking.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all for the responses. I asked only because I saw on one of the Fed vs. Henry threads a post that mentioned Steve Delk had suggested a water repellent application to the Henry. This led to the question, since if a 80/20 fur blend hat is recommended by a knowledgeable source to be water protected, should not a 100% rabbit be also (even if it's an Akubra)? I love the hat, and can't wait to give it a good soaking.

That was what Steve recomended for HIS product not an Akubra. He has his reasons for doing this but I would not presume that what he says about HIS product would be the same for another manufacturers. Akubra's been making a LOT of hats for FAR LONGER than he has. The only thing I can see this would accomplish would possibly reduce some staining from liquids. Put that Akubra on your head when it gets here, wear it and enjoy it. It's an Akubra :)

tealseal

A-List Customer
That was what Steve recomended for HIS product not an Akubra. He has his reasons for doing this but I would not presume that what he says about HIS product would be the same for another manufacturers. Akubra's been making a LOT of hats for FAR LONGER than he has. The only thing I can see this would accomplish would possibly reduce some staining from liquids. Put that Akubra on your head when it gets here, wear it and enjoy it. It's an Akubra :)

Awesome. BRING IT ON Mother Nature!! Would repellent possibly help with tapering?
I have this compulsion to be absolutely sure I have the best possible information before I go out and give a hat a beating.

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
I've had mine for a few years now and love it but only have one problem. Mine seems to have grown a bead under the sweatband and it really digs into my head leaving a red line across my forehead. It's actually the "plastic" piece the stitching is in. The only remedy I can think of is a piece of double sided tape above the 'protrusion' to kind of flatten it out and do little stretching. If that piece wasn' there it would be perfect.

IMAG0245.jpg

One can see the ridge in the photo right above the stitching.

Anyone else have this issue with their Fed IV?

-Allen

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Awesome. BRING IT ON Mother Nature!! Would repellent possibly help with tapering?
I have this compulsion to be absolutely sure I have the best possible information before I go out and give a hat a beating.
I've owned and worn Akubra hats for OVER 30 years now and as ALL fur felt hats, over some time hats will change shape crown wise as well as brim wise. My 32 yo Bushman is beat to hell and does not look EXACTLY like my newer (3 YO ) Bushman but it is STILL wearable. A fur felt is made from organic materials and as such will change with time and conditions. Just get the hat and wear it! It's just a hat :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy