Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

raven5

New in Town
Thanks for the advice, I know that was a lot of questions. It's just when I've traveled to some places with some decent but not large selections and then seen the differences with the hats on my head and then looked up the hat's dimensions, I've been able to see how the slight dimensional differences really matter.

On my frame, taper differences seem to matter a lot, and brim width. I really started to see what all the fuss was about on here. There's a lot to learn from you guys.
Wow, that is indeed a lot of questions! Welcome.

After reading everything you wrote, I suggest starting with a good inexpensive hat.

Get yourself a Fed IV. It has a dimensional brim and straight sided, tall crown. You can turn it or wear it straight. It'll take any top crease. They (the felt) don't shrink. All of mine started with center dents and have diamonds now. They are height adjustable without looking like something is wrong. All mine started out at 4 3/4" (creased) and now at about 4 1/4".

I also have a couple of Adventurebilts - a Henry (80/20 rabbit/beaver) and a handmade original style (beaver) in gray. These hats are in every way better than a Fed IV, but I still wear my Fed IVs just as much as my other hats.

But a first hat? Given what you wrote, I say Fed IV. Then, when you decide you like the overall style, go for a Penman, whether it be an Everyman or custom handmade piece.
How 'tough' are these hats? I was under the assumption that rabbit wasn't as tough as beaver (or not even in the same conversation), meaning keeping its shape in the weather. I don't plan on jumping out of any planes or off boats any time soon, but I'd like something that would keep its shape and not shrink when maybe out on long hikes, hunts for days when I can't really give it some TLC after it gets doused. An older Stetson Gates model Gunclub hat I've worn since the early 90's has held up well. Granted, it was very stiff to start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the advice, I know that was a lot of questions. It's just when I've traveled to some places with some decent but not large selections and then seen the differences with the hats on my head and then looked up the hat's dimensions, I've been able to see how the slight dimensional differences really matter.

On my frame, taper differences seem to matter a lot, and brim width. I really started to see what all the fuss was about on here. There's a lot to learn from you guys.

I am the same way.

I find that a difference of even 1/8", whether brim width, creased crown height, both front and rear, or angle of crown taper can make or break a hat for me, and whether I'll wear it or not.

I have received hats that I have had to most often lower and/or widen before I will wear them.

How 'tough' are these hats? I was under the assumption that rabbit wasn't as tough as beaver (or not even in the same conversation), meaning keeping its shape in the weather. I don't plan on jumping out of any planes or off boats any time soon, but I'd like something that would keep its shape and not shrink when maybe out on long hikes, hunts for days when I can't really give it some TLC after it gets doused. An older Stetson Gates model Gunclub hat I've worn since the early 90's has held up well. Granted, it was very stiff to start.

The thing about Akubras, afaic, is the quality for the money. I am pretty sure that my beaver and beaver/rabbit Adventurebilts will stand up better to tough conditions and come out looking nonplussed than my Akubras will. But at ~3x the price, that's what I'd expect.

Akubras, in general, are known for being tough hats at very reasonable prices. But, as jlee said, they are not fancy, or as well finished as more expensive modern hats, especially customs, or vintage, which are a different story, all together.

Me, I'm often looking for decent quality for not a lot of money. That, and their style/shape/dimensions, are the reasons the Fed IVs appeal to me as much as they do.

That's not exactly what I was suggesting.

Seb and I seem to be only 2mm difference in head size. I bought all three of my IVs in 59, almost a full size up, and they all shrunk to fit. In fact, my Tawny Fawn is bit snug. Maybe he would need to do the same - get a 59, but I am not completely sure.
My mistake. Hey Seb, just ignore everything I've posted.

What?? Confusion with Akubra sizing? Say it isn’t so. ;)
Shocking, ain't it? :cool:

I am the same way.

I find that a difference of even 1/8", whether brim width, creased crown height, both front and rear, or angle of crown taper can make or break a hat for me, and whether I'll wear it or not.

I have received hats that I have had to most often lower and/or widen before I will wear them.

The thing about Akubras, afaic, is the quality for the money. I am pretty sure that my beaver and beaver/rabbit Adventurebilts will stand up better to tough conditions and come out looking nonplussed than my Akubras will. But at ~3x the price, that's what I'd expect.

Akubras, in general, are known for being tough hats at very reasonable prices. But, as jlee said, they are not fancy, or as well finished as more expensive modern hats, especially customs, or vintage, which are a different story, all together.

Me, I'm often looking for decent quality for not a lot of money. That, and their style/shape/dimensions, are the reasons the Fed IVs appeal to me as much as they do.

I agree. They are a good deal, but it’s not fair to expect them to equal hats costing twice or more. For their price point, they are good hats and most of us who own them wear the heck out of them. Then again, I don’t dislike all modern Stetsons either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D00R

One of the Regulars
Are there any photo comparisons of the Herotage Fawn & Dark Brown? I wasn’t sure which color was closest to Indys in Raiders.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Are there any photo comparisons of the Herotage Fawn & Dark Brown? I wasn’t sure which color was closest to Indys in Raiders.

The Herbert Johnson Poet in Raiders was a color called Sable, lighter than the Fed IV dark brown, but darker than the Heritage Fawn, which isn't really brown.

All the distressing and 'dirt' applied to the hero hat also served to lighten it, as well.

The Herbert Johnson Poet in Raiders was a color called Sable, lighter than the Fed IV dark brown, but darker than the Heritage Fawn, which isn't really brown.

All the distressing and 'dirt' applied to the hero hat also served to lighten it, as well.
Akubra's Heritage Fawn has long been a bit of a mystery to me because, like most fur felt hats, the color never seems to photograph accurately. In one photo it looks gray, in another gray with a hint of a brown hue, in another a sort of tan/mid brown, and khaki in another.

@D00R, regardless of whichever color it actually is, Heritage Fawn is definitely too light a color to be a good Indy hat. Of the colors the Fed IV is available in I'd say Dark Brown is the closest, but Scott is correct--it's darker than, and doesn't have the same warm undertones as, Herbert Johnson's Sable.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Akubra's Heritage Fawn has long been a bit of a mystery to me because, like most fur felt hats, the color never seems to photograph accurately. In one photo it looks gray, in another gray with a hint of a brown hue, in another a sort of tan/mid brown, and khaki in another.

@D00R, regardless of whichever color it actually is, Heritage Fawn is definitely too light a color to be a good Indy hat. Of the colors the Fed IV is available in I'd say Dark Brown is the closest, but Scott is correct--it's darker than, and doesn't have the same warm undertones as, Herbert Johnson's Sable.
The Heritage Fawn on my Akubra (not the Fed IV) is what I would consider to be gray with a hint of brown.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D00R

One of the Regulars
I thought this guys FEDIV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn looked great.
CF93_A074_402_E_41_F7_9746_0_A5_D8_FD2_A034.jpg

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
I wasn't even aware that the Fed IV was available in Heritage Fawn. The only fawn color I saw at Hats Direct was Tawny Fawn, which appears to be a much lighter brown than the dark brown.

...How 'tough' are these hats? I was under the assumption that rabbit wasn't as tough as beaver (or not even in the same conversation), meaning keeping its shape in the weather. I don't plan on jumping out of any planes or off boats any time soon, but I'd like something that would keep its shape and not shrink when maybe out on long hikes, hunts for days when I can't really give it some TLC after it gets doused...
I got my first Akubra 10 years ago this month. I don't wear it every day, but it's in my regular rotation. It's been soaked in rain a few times, I've worn it while working in the yard a number of times until my perspiration soaked the felt, it's been sat upon and crushed between a table and chair at least once, and it has held it's shape well and shows no signs of abuse aside from my amateur attempts at shaping and re-shaping it.

A4M4roi.jpg

The white liner has yellowed a bit, but otherwise it looks as good now as it did when I got it; maybe better.

My apologies to those who think they've seen this image before, but now that the hat is officially 10 years old I took new 2018 photos earlier today and updated the image. :D

I wasn't even aware that the Fed IV was available in Heritage Fawn. The only fawn color I saw at Hats Direct was Tawny Fawn, which appears to be a much lighter brown than the dark brown.
The Fed IV is only available in Heritage Fawn in the deluxe/Heritage Quality felt.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I thought this guys FEDIV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn looked great.
CF93_A074_402_E_41_F7_9746_0_A5_D8_FD2_A034.jpg

Yes, that's a well done SoC hat, afaic.

Part of what makes it look the way it does is, as mentioned above, the artificial aging and dirtying of it in the right places. I'd be willing to bet that it had been dusted in Fullers Earth. Also, as has been mentioned many times, photography almost never shows the true color of any hat (some worse than others). In this shot, the hat looks remarkably like the SoC hat (except for the lack of turn). If I wanted to be picky, I could say that it does look a bit too gray, though.

A brown Fed IV, 'beaten up' the way this one has been, and photographed under the right conditions, would result in a hat that looks about as screen-accurate as this one does.

D00R

One of the Regulars
I got my first Akubra 10 years ago this month. I don't wear it every day, but it's in my regular rotation. It's been soaked in rain a few times, I've worn it while working in the yard a number of times until my perspiration soaked the felt, it's been sat upon and crushed between a table and chair at least once, and it has held it's shape well and shows no signs of abuse aside from my amateur attempts at shaping and re-shaping it.

A4M4roi.jpg

The white liner has yellowed a bit, but otherwise it looks as good now as it did when I got it; maybe better.

My apologies to those who think they've seen this image before, but now that the hat is officially 10 years old I took new 2018 photos earlier today and updated the image. :D

The Fed IV is only available in Heritage Fawn in the deluxe/Heritage Quality felt.

You look Awesome in your hat. Did you get the Dark Brown or Heritage Fawn?

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family

A4M4roi.jpg

Your hat still looks fantastic! Is that the standard or the deluxe? I've been debating between the two.

The heritage fawn shown on the deluxe looks more like the tawny fawn on the standard. I find it odd, because although I have a completely different hat, the two heritage fawns do not look the same. I get that different photos taken in different lights can have different effects on how the color looks, but I have never once looked at my hat and saw it as a brown hat. The hat I am wearing in my avatar is the one I am referring to.

I thought this guys FEDIV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn looked great...
...In this shot, the hat looks remarkably like the SoC hat (except for the lack of turn). If I wanted to be picky, I could say that it does look a bit too gray, though...
One of the things I like about this hat is that he chose a color that is decidedly not brown. Those "in the know" would clearly recognize the "Raiders" crease, but the color makes it more uniquely his own.

You look Awesome in your hat. Did you get the Dark Brown or Heritage Fawn?
Thank you. That's Akubra's Dark Brown. As you saw in the photo you posted above, the Heritage Fawn is a considerably lighter color than the Dark Brown; this is readily apparent when you compare the photos on Hats Direct's website:

IYaCUC0.jpg

Even the ribbon is lighter in color on the Heritage Fawn.

Your hat still looks fantastic! Is that the standard or the deluxe? I've been debating between the two...
Mine is the standard/Imperial Grade. If anything, I think it shows that even a "low end" modern production rabbit/hare fur felt hat can last a long time with a little care.

...The heritage fawn shown on the deluxe looks more like the tawny fawn on the standard. I find it odd, because although I have a completely different hat, the two heritage fawns do not look the same. I get that different photos taken in different lights can have different effects on how the color looks, but I have never once looked at my hat and saw it as a brown hat. The hat I am wearing in my avatar is the one I am referring to.
I think the intent was that the Tawny Fawn and Heritage Fawn were supposed to be comparable hats as far as color is concerned, but the Tawny Fawn definitely has more of a tan/light brown hue with warmer/yellower tones depending upon lighting. Here's mine, photographed on different days:

tCtBpbe.jpg

On the left, photographed mid-day when the sun was high in the sky; on the right, photographed when the sun was lower and the light was being filtered through the southern California smog. It even changed the color of the towel I placed the hat on. I don't have an accurate impression of the true color of the Heritage Fawn, but I've rarely seen it photographed with that much of a tan/brown hue.

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
One of the things I like about this hat is that he chose a color that is decidedly not brown. Those "in the know" would clearly recognize the "Raiders" crease, but the color makes it more uniquely his own.

Thank you. That's Akubra's Dark Brown. As you saw in the photo you posted above, the Heritage Fawn is a considerably lighter color than the Dark Brown; this is readily apparent when you compare the photos on Hats Direct's website:

IYaCUC0.jpg

Even the ribbon is lighter in color on the Heritage Fawn.

Mine is the standard/Imperial Grade. If anything, I think it shows that even a "low end" modern production rabbit/hare fur felt hat can last a long time with a little care.

I think the intent was that the Tawny Fawn and Heritage Fawn were supposed to be comparable hats as far as color is concerned, but the Tawny Fawn definitely has more of a tan/light brown hue with warmer/yellower tones depending upon lighting. Here's mine, photographed on different days:

tCtBpbe.jpg

On the left, photographed mid-day when the sun was high in the sky; on the right, photographed when the sun was lower and the light was being filtered through the southern California smog. It even changed the color of the towel I placed the hat on. I don't have an accurate impression of the true color of the Heritage Fawn, but I've rarely seen it photographed with that much of a tan/brown hue.
After reading your reply, I am beginning to understand their correlation with the Fawn colors. Thanks again. You always do a wonderful job at giving insightful and detailed advice. When I do decide to pull the trigger on the Fed IV, it will most likely be the dark brown, because why not have an "Indy" hat? It's been my influence all along.

Thanks again. You always do a wonderful job at giving insightful and detailed advice.
You're very welcome, and thank you. I'm often concerned that my responses are too long-winded, but I try to mentally put myself in the position of the person asking the question(s), and if I were that person I'd want as much information as possible.

After reading your reply, I am beginning to understand their correlation with the Fawn colors...When I do decide to pull the trigger on the Fed IV, it will most likely be the dark brown, because why not have an "Indy" hat? It's been my influence all along.
As I've mentioned somewhere here before I've liked fedoras for as long as I can remember. I liked the "Raiders" hat immediately, but felt I was too young in '81 to pull off the look. When I saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I finally decided I had waited long enough, and didn't care about what anyone else thought. So I did the research, decided on the Fed IV in Dark Brown, and that was the start of my personal hat obsession. Some of the members here have grown tired of the "Indy" questions and comments, but it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've worn my Fed IV standard just about every day since I got it this spring and it's been rained on (I like the tapping sound rain makes on it; I feel like I'm in a camper or a convertible), squished and crunched and stretched by my 3 year old, Sam (she likes to pull it down on her noggin as far as it can go), sweated in on humid Alabama summer days and stabbed a couple of times by low hanging branches while I was on my lawnmower. It has protected me well and shows no signs of damage and I was positive that the low hanging branch had poked a hole in it. I can't wait to get another one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner