Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had a Federation (no Roman numerals) in black and size 61. I sold it on eBay and it went for $100. They are rare, but not necessarily valuable. If you don’t like it I’d suggest selling it un-modified and using the proceeds to get another Fed IV.

That is certainly a good suggestion. I have a few hats at this point that I have not been wearing at all, and would benefit from new homes.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
There have been been a lot of words here about the Fed III and IV, and the differences between them, but I haven't seen any direct visual comparisons.

Now, this is by no means definitive, but here are my brown III and IV on my head from the same angles, same place, same time.

I did not think to take measurements when I took the pictures, and I don't remember them, off hand.

The IV is straight, and the III is turned.

I've had each hat about 10 years. The IV is shown on the left in each row, and the III on the right. I bought the IV new, the III very used. Both have been recreased many times, as well as reblocked. The III was taken completely apart and reversed due to a hole that had formed at the top of the front pinch. That was probably around 2012.

When I put the III back together, I decided to turn it, and then crease it to see if I liked it, and it's been that way ever since. I also put a new ribbon on it. I had some medium brown ribbon lying around that has since faded quite a lot. Multiple soakings and many days in the hot sun will do that.

I know that the IV is Imperial felt. I don't know whether the III is Imperial or Heritage because by the time I got the hat it was very well worn, and then I put it through hell, myself, mainly because it was so worn when I got it. The IV has softened up over time, but the III is just this side of being floppy. It holds its shape, but just barely.

I may redo that bow on the III.

I still wear the III, occasionally.

20190503_201706_400x465.jpg
20190503_201818_400x441.jpg
20190503_201708_400x469.jpg
20190503_201819_400x421.jpg
20190503_201709_400x449.jpg
20190503_201820_400x435.jpg
20190503_201710_400x449.jpg
20190503_201822_400x446.jpg

I don't know if these pictures will answer or raise more questions. Probably both. Or neither.

Last edited:

Scooterz

Practically Family
Great post! Really interesting to see them side x side.

There have been been a lot of words here about the Fed III and IV, and the differences between them, but I haven't seen any direct visual comparisons.

Now, this is by no means definitive, but here are my brown III and IV on my head from the same angles, same place, same time.

I did not think to take measurements when I took the pictures, and I don't remember them, off hand.

The IV is straight, and the III is turned.

I've had each hat about 10 years. The IV is shown on the left in each row, and the III on the right. I bought the IV new, the III very used. Both have been recreased many times, as well as reblocked. The III was taken completely apart and reversed due to a hole that had formed at the top of the front pinch. That was probably around 2012.

When I put the III back together, I decided to turn it, and then crease it to see if I liked it, and it's been that way ever since. I also put a new ribbon on it. I had some medium brown ribbon lying around that has since faded quite a lot. Multiple soakings and many days in the hot sun will do that.

I know that the IV is Imperial felt. I don't know whether the III is Imperial or Heritage because by the time I got the hat it was very well worn, and then I put it through hell, myself, mainly because it was so worn when I got it. The IV has softened up over time, but the III is just this side of being floppy. It holds its shape, but just barely.

I may redo that bow on the III.

I still wear the III, occasionally.

View attachment 167309 View attachment 167310 View attachment 167311 View attachment 167312 View attachment 167313 View attachment 167314 View attachment 167315 View attachment 167316

I don't know if these pictures will answer or raise more questions. Probably both. Or neither.

Thanks, I just wished the III was in better shape for a side-by-side.
Why? It looks just fine to me. ;)

The Fed III softness looks somewhat like the Adventurer. Not sure if they would be that similar or not if you bashed each the same way.
The Adventurer has a lower and more tapered crown so you wouldn't be able to get that straight-sided "square" look like you could with the Fed III/Fed IV.

bearinfedora

Familiar Face
I like the tight pinch in the front. How did you crease it on the top?

I followed this tutorial up to a point to create a center dent for reference point, and shape the rear of the hat:

However, for front pitch....once the front side of hat was warm enough, I rushed to the bathroom (better light and mirror) and executed a moose maneuver while making sure that it is in line with nasal bridge.

IMG_20190804_210620.jpg

Bluesman60

New in Town
I like my Fed IV but I was disappointed with the height of the crown. I can't do a proper diamond bash on a Fed IV without it looking short on top like a 50s small crown hat. I do not believe the profile is based on a 1920s hat block like they claim. The sadly discontinued Stetson Stetsonian Open Crown beats the Fed IV by a mile. It had a higher crown and was much softer/easier to bash and had a properly curved brim. The only advantage the Akubra has is that it keeps its shape better in the rain, but since the Fed IV is so stiff, this is a moot point. I wish I'd ordered the last available brown Stetsonian in my size but I missed out on it messing with the Akubra.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like my Fed IV but I was disappointed with the height of the crown. I can't do a proper diamond bash on a Fed IV without it looking short on top like a 50s small crown hat. I do not believe the profile is based on a 1920s hat block like they claim. The sadly discontinued Stetson Stetsonian Open Crown beats the Fed IV by a mile. It had a higher crown and was much softer/easier to bash and had a properly curved brim. The only advantage the Akubra has is that it keeps its shape better in the rain, but since the Fed IV is so stiff, this is a moot point. I wish I'd ordered the last available brown Stetsonian in my size but I missed out on it messing with the Akubra.
They are not cheap, but they are nice, tall, wide brimmed hats. The Penman Everyman Indy is 80/20 in rabbit/ beaver felt, but felt from South America.

I love mine. Aside from that, I'd go custom.

20190627_075146.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I was able to set the front pinches on my Fed IVs at 4 1/2" (Raiders, and my most preferred, hat height) and then push diamonds into them with very satisfactory results, although I will admit that 'satisfactory' is a subjective term.

On the left is my carbon gray Fed IV with a 4 3/4" front pinch and a center dent. On the right is the same hat with a 4 1/2" front pinch and a diamond. The third picture is the same crease as
the second from a different angle.

fed iv carbon drs office_20180419_160012_400x592.jpg
fed iv carbon_20180510_074152_400x537.jpg
fediv_20171211_120759_400x552.jpg

I could very easily pushed a nice diamond into the hat when it at 4 3/4 but I had determined, after that picture was taken, that my ideal front pinch height is in the 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 inch height range.

You've got to admit that the third picture looks like a '40s hat.

Last edited:

GLewis

New in Town
Moose maneuver. I gotta remember that one! Thanks!
I followed this tutorial up to a point to create a center dent for reference point, and shape the rear of the hat:

However, for front pitch....once the front side of hat was warm enough, I rushed to the bathroom (better light and mirror) and executed a moose maneuver while making sure that it is in line with nasal bridge.

View attachment 179465
e

Trouserhat

New in Town
Not a hat guy (I like to wear outlandish stuff but I've always been a bit too self conscious to go the hat route) but I took the plunge, bought a fed iv and fell in love with it. I've only worn it out at night so far because I'm still a bit timid about the whole thing but I WILL take the plunge... eventually...

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not a hat guy (I like to wear outlandish stuff but I've always been a bit too self conscious to go the hat route) but I took the plunge, bought a fed iv and fell in love with it. I've only worn it out at night so far because I'm still a bit timid about the whole thing but I WILL take the plunge... eventually...
A hat isn't so outlandish, just jump right in and start wearing it. If you like it, that's all that matters.

GLewis

New in Town
If anyone asks, tell them you're sensitive to the sun, you hate getting rain on your glasses, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ