Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

Goose.

Practically Family
Wolfwood said:
... Does anyone have a good comparison shot of Heritage and Tawny Fawn together?
Hey Wolfwood...here's a link where I asked for the comparison of the two shades (Tawny and Heritage). Asked as I was/am considering the Heritage Fed.
G Man came through with nice pics in natural light of the two:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=806798#post806798

FurFeltFedora said:
Now does this mean I'm going to have to get a Heritage Fawn just to round out all the Fed IV colours? My girlfriend is going to kill me if I do :D
Yep
angel-or-devil-emoticon.gif

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Thanks, Goose, for the excellent link! :eusa_clap

Pretty much makes me lean towards the tawny...

EDIT: On the other hand, my wife made a good point about the fact that the heritage fawn would be more different from my current brown Federation than the tawny would, therefore offering more variation...

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
DJ...here's a pic of two Feds. The Tawny Fawn represents how they all look right out of the box. Also, the Tawny is Standard. The Moonstone is Deluxe.
My other Deluxe is a Dark Brown. Here's a pic (shameful by comparison to FFF's) that shows them together in another thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=801485&postcount=946

Oh, and you can see in the linked pic that the Tawny Fawn crown sticks up a bit more though the front/rear bash dimensions are the same amongst all the lids. The Tawny was just a bit taller out of the box. Took some more work, but I finally got it to where it's supposed to be.

Thanks for the comparison, Goose. Much appreciated.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
ScottyRocks...I would also go Tawny Fawn over the Carbon. It just seems more classic or unique to me. But, having a Dark Brown already, maybe you want to move to the dark side and get that Carbon? Tough call.

The main reason was contemplating the carbon is because I have a lot of black/gray/blue stuff that a gray hat would look good with. Maybe I'll need a tawny fawn AND a carbon. :eusa_clap

Goose.

Practically Family
The latest, and last, addition to the Federation IV Tugboat Fleet was commissioned earlier today.
Second row, forward, Heritage Fawn Deluxe Arrived yesterday, but waited until this AM for Sea Trials. Tried a higher crown...didn't like it.
So, "Tug" it is.

Carbon Standard is jockeying its' way through the Promotion Board as my favorite to knock out the Dark Brown Deluxe for postion of Flagship.

572500239_FXpvz-L.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
The latest, and last, addition to the Federation IV Tugboat Fleet was commissioned earlier today.
Second row, forward, Heritage Fawn Deluxe Arrived yesterday, but waited until this AM for Sea Trials. Tried a higher crown...didn't like it.
So, "Tug" it is.

Carbon Standard is jockeying its' way through the Promotion Board as my favorite to knock out the Dark Brown Deluxefor postion of Flagship.

572500239_FXpvz-L.jpg

I can't wait to become part of the Fed IV crowd - any day now. If I like the heritage fawn deluxe, I'll probably order a black soon after.

What are your thoughts on differences between the deluxe and standard?

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
I can't wait to become part of the Fed IV crowd - any day now. If I like the heritage fawn deluxe, I'll probably order a black soon after.

In my opinion, the Deluxe is definitely worth the extra cash. Comparing my two FedIVs (yes, the heritage fawn in size 63 arrived already!) to my father-in-law's standard black one, it is clear to me that the deluxe model has smoother felt. Plus, as the felt has gone through an extra shrinking process, it should be less likely to shrink over time than the standard which(, to my understanding) is already pretty good as is.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Wolfwood said:
In my opinion, the Deluxe is definitely worth the extra cash. Comparing my two FedIVs (yes, the heritage fawn in size 63 arrived already!) to my father-in-law's standard black one, it is clear to me that the deluxe model has smoother felt. Plus, as the felt has gone through an extra shrinking process, it should be less likely to shrink over time than the standard (which, to my understanding) is already pretty good as is.

Thanks - sounds good. I chose it for the color - already have a Stetson Chatham that is basically tawny fawn. I've got a very uneasy feeling that my Knox twenty is very similar to heritage fawn. Guess I'll figure all this out any day now. I 'felt' (<=== bad double entendra) a Sydney the other day and it was nicer than the Chatham, but didn't compare well with high-quality vintage felts. It was the first time I'd had my hands on an Akubra.

Goose.

Practically Family
ScottF said:

Hey ScottF...you will like the Fed on your head.
Having typed that though, the only Fed IV that feels as soft as my Sydney is the Moonstone. The other Deluxe Feds (Dark Brown and Heritage Fawn) are softer than the Standards, but not as soft as the Sydney. Guess it varies by batch. Triple F mentioned some differences he noticed in his lids. I have too and my observations vary, but just slightly. I'll have to compare and post someday.

The difference for me, as WW typed, is also the felt finish. Smoother and softer. The sweatbands are different to the touch, but I can't really say that they feel different on the noggin.

My Standards are all size 61 and have a few inches of foam strip to snug 'em up. My Deluxe lids are 60 and fit perfect. Concern is that over time that the Standards may shrink a bit. So far, they haven't...but been less than a year.

Like WolfWood, I think the extra bucks for the Deluxe is worth it...well, maybe more so when the Australian and US dollar exchange rates were more in our favor as US consumers (earlier this year). But even at today's rate where a Standard costs US$87.31 and a Deluxe US$135.59, I'd say it's worth the difference.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Standard and I would have ordered one of each color if that was all they were offerred in.

Post when you get your lid and let us know what you think :)

Goose.

Practically Family
Posted in another thread that I tried a higher look for my Heritage Fawn Fed IV. Was asked if I had pics of that. So, I took a few. Think it's more appropriate to post here instead of the Indy themed thread.

At first, I tried the tall look. Didn't take a pic before I lowererd it. So today for this post, I popped it up and then back down.

Decided I'll stick with the Tug.

5" at the front center dent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4" telescope tugboat​

573794023_wWZoK-S-1.jpg
573794020_P5Cte-S-1.jpg
. .
573794131_oogJv-S-1.jpg
573794082_yzkQo-S-1.jpg

travelsonic

New in Town
(I'm new here, enjoy fur felt fedoras, and other hats too, so I should fit in quite well I guess)

I ordered one on the past Sunday evening (11:10 PM EST). The Fed IV Deluxe came yesterday, nobody was home so it went back to the post office where I picked it up today. Otherwise it would have taken little over 3 days to get from Katoomba, Australia to New York, USA)

At first I was apprehensive about bashing it - first because of the stiffness, second because I never ever bashed a hat before - the last fedora I had (a Peters Bros. custom indy with a ToD bash) came pre-bashed. Then when I got around to lightly misting the hat with water, and started bashing it (after a couple of light dry-bash failures, it (thanks to the guide at http://adventure-realm.com/raidersbash.html) became more natural, and now I feel as if I could bash any hat.

pics [thumbnails, click for full photo at your own risk]:

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Hey Goose ya gotta try it to see if ya like it :) High crowns are iffy I find. I think I can get away with my Indy bash (5") partially because I'm over 6'2". Still, there's nothing wrong with being a Fleet Admiral :)

Travelsonic welcome to the forum and congrats on the Fed IV and the bash, if you're like many of us it won't be your last Fed IV.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Posted in another thread that I tried a higher look for my Heritage Fawn Fed IV. Was asked if I had pics of that. So, I took a few. Think it's more appropriate to post here instead of the Indy themed thread.

At first, I tried the tall look. Didn't take a pic before I lowererd it. So today for this post, I popped it up and then back down.

Decided I'll stick with the Tug.

5" at the front center dent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4" telescope tugboat​

573794023_wWZoK-S-1.jpg
573794020_P5Cte-S-1.jpg
. .
573794131_oogJv-S-1.jpg
573794082_yzkQo-S-1.jpg

Thanks so much for posting these, Goose. Now I can see the difference between the high pinch and the tugboat. Muchos gracias.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
Mr. Lucky said:
Now, which do you like better?

Hard to say. I prefer the color and feel of the Stetson's felt, and also its ribbon and its uniform brim width. On the other hand I prefer the flatter (less curled) brim of the Akubra, and it seems to hold its shape a little better. I've worn the Akubra a lot more than the Stetson, but neither has seen any serious weather so far, so I can't comment on durability yet. So far, I am happy with both.

In comparison to the Stetson, the Akubra looks to have been made with little regard to "shelf appeal". Perhaps it will wear better as a result. Time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats