Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new hat...

D

dzacca

I'm going to have an interview for a new job, the final interview actually. I'll wear a dark blu suit (with tiny vertical lines in gray, I don't know the english term for that kind of fabric) but I only have my brown Fed and a mid-dark gray melegari...

I absolutely need to buy a ew light gray hat :rolleyes:

Any suggestion? I was thinking about a standard Akubra Federation in gray but it seem to dark...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You live in Venice???!!! I'm so jealous!!! You lucky guy! I was there for one day in 1962, and then overnight in 2004. Is there anyone who has been there that doesn't love Venice?
OK, so you had a question. Uhhh . . . I guess what you said would be good. A nice grey one. Good luck with the job interview!
(Sorry, I guess I wasn't very helpful. But Venice! How wonderful!)

D

dzacca

dhermann1 said:
You live in Venice???!!! I'm so jealous!!! You lucky guy! I was there for one day in 1962, and then overnight in 2004. Is there anyone who has been there that doesn't love Venice?
OK, so you had a question. Uhhh . . . I guess what you said would be good. A nice grey one. Good luck with the job interview!
(Sorry, I guess I wasn't very helpful. But Venice! How wonderful!)

Actually I live near Venice, not in Venice :)

Venice is 50 km from here :)

D

dzacca

C'mon... No one with any suggestion? ;)

My question is real :)

I'm looking for something in the size and shape of the brown Federation in my avatar...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
50 km is still a lot closer than 5000 km. I assume you get there from time to time.
As far as the hat, it must be a very fashion crazy job you're interviewing for to be concerned about having the perfect hat. I would think a dark grey would look great. Light grey better, dark grey, why not? Anyone else???
When I was in Florence I saw a Borsalino in a shop window that would have been perfect, beautiful light grey. But the price was way out of my range. Anyhow, as I said before, good luck. Let us know how it goes.

D

dzacca

dhermann1 said:
As far as the hat, it must be a very fashion crazy job you're interviewing for to be concerned about having the perfect hat.

Nothing particular, I just want that job, and... I want to be impressive :)

As Edward wrote in this forum, even an monkey could wear a suit, but you need the right hat to complete an outfit :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What are the socital norms?

Here in the USA I am sorry to say that wearing a hat to a job interview would label you as an "odd ball".

You need to reflect on whether or not the contemporary businessman wears a fedora, and that is in a daily basis. If not, you will likely not succeed in your job interview. They will only remember your hat, and not you.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would never wear a hat to an interview either. But that's just the Canadian culture.

If you go for the Grey Federation you would not regret it. Only thing is you have to shape it yourself, if you are up to the challenge;) . A more conservative look is the Stylemaster and fedora. Only real advantage they have is they come pre-blocked so you don't have to fuss with making it look good.

Hope that helps.

Johnny

akaBruno

Suspended
Gray Fed, for sure. The picture may be decieving, but I think it would look better than Light gray. Or just go black.

and those tiny verticle lines ??? are called pinstripes. :)

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You are so right Tony

Tony in Tarzana said:
They're going to find that out sooner or later, might as well get it over with.

Well, yes. But I said "sorry to say".

AFTER you are hired, wear gold earrings, a top hat, and carry a ladies purse if you want! Or maybe once off probation. Of course, nix any promotions.lol

No, for a JOB INTERVIEW, I recommend you go with the look of the current employees you observe going to and from the office building. Mix in, fit.

I don't know how it is in Italy however.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Andykev said:
...wear gold earrings, a top hat, and carry a ladies purse if you want! Or maybe once off probation. Of course, nix any promotions.lol

Why do I now have an image of Klinger from M*A*S*H in my head?

Klinger8.jpg

Local culture and the type of position you are applying for should definitely be considered. Are hats fairly common in your area? You had also mentioned that this is the final interview...did you wear a hat to the other interviews? If so, continue the trend. If not, you may want to wait to introduce your potential new employer to your hats...as Andykev mentioned, you want the interviewer to remember you, not just your hat.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Why not a dark blue fedora to match the suit? If its as hot there as it is here, even a quality Panama would be a good match.

As for wearing a hat to an interview, why not? If you have the confidence to pull it off, and wear the right hat, it will only enhance your chances.

I'm interviewed now and again and if I'm wearing a hat that day (which is often) I'll wear it to the interview. Twice I have been picked out of a crowd of 200 plus applicants, and I was wearing spectators and a hat both times. I'm sure they helped me stand out from the crowd.

D

dzacca

DanielJones said:
Well it looks like NewMexExpat has beat me to the punch. Yes, that is what I would suggest.
http://www.camptownhats.com/products.asp
The grey Model 1945 Metropolitan could fit the bill nicely and be a better quality lid than the Federation.
img_prod_1945.jpg

Just a suggestion. Best of luck with the interview, hope all goes well.
Cheers!
Dan

Dan, this "Metropolitan" rocks! :)
More or less the dimension of my fed, and that bash would be perfect... I'll ask them to block the hat (it's sold as open crown, isn't it?)

I think I'll drop them an email, I need to know how they ship international. I need them to use a carrier like UPS, DHL or similar, or the hat would never arrive on time (customs are quite slooooow here in Italy)

Thank you very much for this hint!!!

D

dzacca

Just to answer to many of you...

The interview will be in Cork, Ireland, not in Italy. By the way I already had other interview where I went with a hat, and I never had bad reaction to that. Irish people are quite open-minded, I've been in Dublin last year and they're very very kindly, I'm quite sure they'll not think bad about a man wearing his hat...

And... last but not least... Isn't an interview a very good excuse to buy a new hat??? ;) lol lol lol

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Not to differ too greatly...

I'm all in favor of you being yourself, so matter the circumstances. I would never think of not wearing my hat for anything. When you present yourself with confidence, your style is accepted as inherent.

As to choice of hat, I feel the Akubra (a fine lid) does not set as well with a dark suit and protocol as would a stylish dress hat. Not like a Homburg - something you can wear regularly with other outfits. Maybe something shaped like these (granted most are vintage, but there are a number of modern choices that look similar):

Dunlap Superior:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329105122
Knox 20
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329106067
Bee Dynafelt (wrong color, but this is a modern hat)
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392666895
Churchill 35
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762389431452

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
dzacca said:
Dan, this "Metropolitan" rocks! :)
More or less the dimension of my fed, and that bash would be perfect... I'll ask them to block the hat (it's sold as open crown, isn't it?)

I think I'll drop them an email, I need to know how they ship international. I need them to use a carrier like UPS, DHL or similar, or the hat would never arrive on time (customs are quite slooooow here in Italy)

Thank you very much for this hint!!!

You're quite welcome! If you're at all interested in a black hat in the near future, Ken will be coming out with a "Noir" Edition of the Metropolitan fairly soon. As a matter of fact it may already be out. He doesn't have it on his web site yet but if you e-mail him he should be able to tell you more about it. Just thought you would like to know. Also, Paddy may be able to tell you how folks react to gentlemen in hats.
Best wishes with your interview, hope you get the job.:)

Cheers!

Dan

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Snrbfshn said:
I'm all in favor of you being yourself, so matter the circumstances. I would never think of not wearing my hat for anything. When you present yourself with confidence, your style is accepted as inherent.

As to choice of hat, I feel the Akubra (a fine lid) does not set as well with a dark suit and protocol as would a stylish dress hat. Not like a Homburg - something you can wear regularly with other outfits. Maybe something shaped like these (granted most are vintage, but there are a number of modern choices that look similar):

Dunlap Superior:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329105122
Knox 20
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762329106067
Bee Dynafelt (wrong color, but this is a modern hat)
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392666895
Churchill 35
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762389431452
I love the Bee Dynafelt. What's the crown height on your Dobb's? Also, the Churchill photo wouldn't open for me, don't know about anyone else? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda