Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need HELP Cigarette Stench is Killing Me!!!

AndrewC

New in Town
Fantastic tale, Andrew. But I'd say that the one step that had the biggest impact was having those beers to kick all that off!

Haha, yeah - I had thought about the wash method for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't until after a few beers that I thought - sure, why not.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, speaking only for myself, I'm ready to take the dare: I'm willing to risk Worf's personal property, the jacket he bought with his own hard-earned (presumably) money, and encourage him to toss it in the washer.
If it works, I'll certainly be in the line to take a bow. If it doesn't, well, it is Worf's jacket, you know.
I'm there for you, buddy!!

God I love it. You cats are crazy! I was going to wash it BUT I got an email from Langlitz. What they do is either send em out to be professionally cleaned OR they use this stuff called. "GG Bean Smoke Odor Clean" which from ALL the research I've done since getting the email seems to do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/GG-Bean-Smoke-Odor-Kleen/dp/B00192C100

BUT you can only buy it in large lots the lowest price I've seen being about $157.00 and it makes no sense spending that much money to clean one jacket. Also I just got my Vanson Ike back from the company. They did an absolutely smashing job on down-sizing my Ike. Fits like a custom jobby. I have to get that review posted before I bust. The Langlitz will have to wait a week.

Worf

Last edited:
God I love it. You cats are crazy! I was going to wash it BUT I got an email from Langlitz. What they do is either send em out to be professionally cleaned OR they use this stuff called. "GG Bean Smoke Odor Clean" which from ALL the research I've done since getting the email seems to do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/GG-Bean-Smoke-Odor-Kleen/dp/B00192C100

BUT you can only buy it in large lots the lowest price I've seen being about $157.00 and it makes no sense spending that much money to clean one jacket. Also I just got my Vanson Ike back from the company. They did an absolutely smashing job on down-sizing my Ike. Fits like a custom jobby. I have to get that review posted before I bust. The Langlitz will have to wait a week.

Worf
Sears has it for $56. 65 = http://www.sears.com/search=gg bean smoke odor kleen oz case

Stand By

One Too Many
Haha, yeah - I had thought about the wash method for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't until after a few beers that I thought - sure, why not.
That was the same with me and when I first decided to paint on my first A2.
I'd not loved the A2 but it had served me well and still fitted me too - but still, I'd wondered if I was actually able to pull off what I wanted to paint (a pin-up style design and in mediums I'd never used before; namely oils and acrylics) in the hope of somehow enhancing its appeal to me - but I was supremely aware that I ran a very real chance of ruining the jacket in the process...! (just like Worf here)

So after creating a template and gathering all my new materials and the know-how ... after much procrastination, and one evening, I'd had a beer or two - and as I've said elsewhere, the hardest part is committing that FIRST stroke. Up until that actual moment, I sat there, paintbrush in hand and hovering over the back panel - thinking that there's still time to relent and not do this - incase I made things irretrievably worse and I bugger everything up royally.
And for better or for worse and with a deep breath ... I made that first stroke.
And then I was committed. The second stroke was easier ... and after that ... well, it was just too late to look back - and I could only go forwards.
And the design became the best thing about that A2 for me. And now I love painting on jackets !

So I learned that, sometimes, one just has to make that initial leap of faith to get a surprisingly good result that may otherwise not happen .... and if a little booze helps the decision-making process to kick, so be it.
Cheers!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Timely bump for my situation. I’ve just got hold of a nice looking Gold Label Brooks. Stupid me didn’t ask about cigarette smells before pulling the trigger as I had missed out on a few before.

Anyway, it needs to be washed so I’m in the middle of a gentle hand wash in the bath tub and I’m getting a HEAP of rust coloured something coming out of the jacket.

Is this 60 years of crud and tobacco build up or am I stripping the colour out of the brown leather and killing the jacket?

d290e7b8c90ad93466dac99c9fbec075.jpg

Timely bump for my situation. I’ve just got hold of a nice looking Gold Label Brooks. Stupid me didn’t ask about cigarette smells before pulling the trigger as I had missed out on a few before.

Anyway, it needs to be washed so I’m in the middle of a gentle hand wash in the bath tub and I’m getting a HEAP of rust coloured something coming out of the jacket.

Is this 60 years of crud and tobacco build up or am I stripping the colour out of the brown leather and killing the jacket?

d290e7b8c90ad93466dac99c9fbec075.jpg

Little of both, I suppose. I never managed to wash a brown leather jacket without having the bathtub look like this though it seems to me that's mostly dirt coming off. Some colour will always rub off in water and even if there is some, I don't think enough came off to affect the jacket in any way. It'll be good as new.

El Marro

I recently washed an LW Foster G-1 I picked up on the bay because I sneezed every time I put it on. I used Woolite Dark and a lukewarm water and my tub was about twice as brown as yours! I was worried a bit myself at the time, but once the jacket was slow dried and I applied some Pecards it was good as new.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
P.S, I think Brooks jackets came from the factory smelling like cigarettes and Burt Reynolds. I don't know what Burt Reynolds smells like but I picture a leather seated '78 trans am and Barbisol. All mine did.
Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck don't know what their own smell like... :D

pak

One of the Regulars
How much do you suppose cigarette smoke impacts the resale value of a high end leather jacket?

How much do you suppose cigarette smoke impacts the resale value of a high end leather jacket?
If the seller tells you up-front, I'd say a lot. For me, I'd have to really want a jacket to put up with that. Only way I could handle it would be if it belonged to a family member...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
How many WWII airmen had really smokey smelling jackets? And the value on those is high as a kite today...so perhaps the smell just goes away after a few decades?

tropicalbob

If anyone wants to get rid of a smoky, smelly Aero, GW, etc, for next to nothin' in a size 38, I'm your man. I'm pretty smoky and smelly myself. What about those old Bucos? I seem to remember that their natural habitat (and owners) smelled of a whole lot more than just smoke.

El Marro

I think it can be a deal breaker for many of us. I bought a vintage G-1 off the bay a couple years ago for a great price. The knits, collar, and lining were all in decent shape and I couldn't wait to open the box and put it on. My elation was short lived though, because as soon as I cut the tape sealing the box an overpowering odor of ashtrays and cigarette butts filled my living room!
I pulled the jacket out to try it on but as the smell got stronger I changed my mind. I packed up the box, set it out on the back porch, and promptly contacted the seller to arrange a return. He was very apologetic and claimed that he hadn't noticed the odor.
I used to smoke cigarettes and I do not consider myself overly sensitive to tobacco smoke but I would not accept a jacket that reeks of stale cigarettes, no matter how good a deal it is.

ProteinNerd

3 washes later the damn thing still smells, its hard to judge how bad it is now as I have a terrible sense of smell but considering I can still smell it, it must be pretty strong.

Not sure if I should just continue to throw it at the machine, it has dried and stiffened a little now, will 20 washes start to damage it? or should I consider a "professional leather clean" at this stage and hope that works? If I continue to throw it at the machine, should I condition it every few washes?

The jacket wasn't that expensive but returning it to the seller will cost about $100 in postage from experience...not really worth it imo.

So I guess its become a project jacket now.....any thoughts not next steps would be appreciated

The damn thing fits really well which kinda makes this worse lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy