Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need HELP Cigarette Stench is Killing Me!!!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I recall something my grandmother did, when there had been too much smoking in the house. She placed bowls with vinegar around the place. And the next morning you could not smell the tobacco smoke. Don't know if that might do a trick. Or if anybody else have heard about that.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Placing a bowl of bicarb in a cupboard or fridge helps to suck bad odours out of the air, so I think maybe stuffing it in a bag full of Fabreze and a good powdering of bicarb might help. I think the thing to do would be to try all the easy stuff first, then head for the more invasive ideas such as washing.

Stand By

One Too Many
Hmmm. I know "Shake 'N' Vac" freshens wool carpets up a treat - some have bicarbonate of soda in it (as Sloan says).
You could try sprinkling some of that on the cotton (or fleece for other jackets) lining and leave it for a day or two - and then hoover (vacuum) it off ... Might work and it wouldn't hurt ... worth a shot.

simonc

Practically Family
Throw it in the washing machine bro, bit of woollen washing powder, hang it upside down outside to dry for a couple of days, problem solved. C'mon Worf it ain't gonna shrink right, all it is, is years of filth built up and impacted, you wanna wash that shit out not carry it around, amirite?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Throw it in the washing machine bro, bit of woollen washing powder, hang it upside down outside to dry for a couple of days, problem solved. C'mon Worf it ain't gonna shrink right, all it is, is years of filth built up and impacted, you wanna wash that shit out not carry it around, amirite?

Yes, that's what I'd do. And have. Works well.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I recall something my grandmother did, when there had been too much smoking in the house. She placed bowls with vinegar around the place. And the next morning you could not smell the tobacco smoke. Don't know if that might do a trick. Or if anybody else have heard about that.

That must be a Scandinavian thing Søren because Cecilie does the same thing at our place. And it really does work.

You can do an amazing amount of things around the house with vinegar and bicarb.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Gents, let's think about this. If you burned a plastic soda bottle in your bedroom 20 times a day for twenty years straight, would you expect to clean the drapes with a shot of vinegar or a puff of bicarb? Cigarette smell is oil based fumes resulting from thousands of oil fires burning over decades within close proximity to the jacket, after all. The odor is tenacious-- that's why hotels have non-smoking rooms.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dave, you're simply hosed. Even dry cleaning the thing won't help. My advice: Start smoking at least one pack/day and drinking heavily. Then you won't notice the odor.! :D :pound:

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Fanch!!!!! Tsk tsk tsk!!!!! Thanks for your kind errrrr suggestion that I take up coffin nails as a new vice, BUT I think I'll pass. I'm putting the jacket in the car tomorrow and making a decision AFTER I talk to Langlitz. Mebbe they've the "remediation for my situation so I can wear the jacket without olfactory consternation!" (done in my best Don King voiceover).

Worf

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
My first A2 was a Willis & Geiger eBay find. When it arrived, I could smell the cigarette aroma before I even opened the box. It was VERY strong.

I aired it out for a day or two, even in sunlight. I sprayed the lining with febreze. It seemed to help, but it still was a strong odor after the spray and time outdoors.

Then I took it to a professional cleaner. It was an expensive cleaning bill, and upon picking it up, the smell was still there, only more subdued.

I then took it upon myself to saddle soap the leather. This was the tedious part. I even used a rotary sander with buffing cushion to help take the stress off my hands. I did this not once but about three times over several days. The smell remained, but grew more and more faint. I continued to set it on the clothesline outside in sunlight.

Eventually it reached the point where I would wear the jacket although I could still smell the cigarette smell from time to time. But, that may have been psychological more than actual. I sold it to a friend and he never noticed any smell to it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Foster... wow.. sounds like quite the battle! Sorry you had to "give up" on the jacket. Something to be said I guess for buying new OR really reading all the ebay ads more carefully. I personally will NEVER EVER again buy anything from a smoking environment. I'm not anti-cigarette but I am anti-ashtray!

Worf

Last edited:

Foster

One of the Regulars
Well, truth be told, I only sold that jacket because I upgraded to something more authentic. I was getting to where I wore it a lot, but only on cooler days. The smell did fade but psychologically I always thought it was still there. If I left it inside my car on a warm sunny day, the smell did come out again even if faint. The friend who bought it from me never had any complaints about it, and when I told him there might be some residual odor, he said he has never noticed it.
Some smells just get stuck in one's mind and remain! That was true in my case.

NoHorse

One of the Regulars
Long-time lurker, glad that I may have some useful advice...

See if you can rent an ozone generator, or, if need be, buy one. They are used by hotels to get cigarette smell out of rooms, and car detailers also use them on old cars. Run the unit in a closed room (or closet) with the jacket hanging clear of the walls, and give it 24 hours. Repeat if needed (unlikely).

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
My first A2 was a Willis & Geiger eBay find. When it arrived, I could smell the cigarette aroma before I even opened the box. It was VERY strong.

I aired it out for a day or two, even in sunlight. I sprayed the lining with febreze. It seemed to help, but it still was a strong odor after the spray and time outdoors.

Then I took it to a professional cleaner. It was an expensive cleaning bill, and upon picking it up, the smell was still there, only more subdued.

I then took it upon myself to saddle soap the leather. This was the tedious part. I even used a rotary sander with buffing cushion to help take the stress off my hands. I did this not once but about three times over several days. The smell remained, but grew more and more faint. I continued to set it on the clothesline outside in sunlight.

Eventually it reached the point where I would wear the jacket although I could still smell the cigarette smell from time to time. But, that may have been psychological more than actual. I sold it to a friend and he never noticed any smell to it.

This tells you what you really have to do Worf, don't waste your time - eBay is waitng for your listing!!:eusa_doh:;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy