Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blackjack

One Too Many
decided to watch Inglorious Bastards again and I was really grabbed by the Newsboy Brad Pitt wore. Does anyone know this cap or was it made for the film?
E3UFstwXMAAX-2E.jpeg

Tacocaster

New in Town
First my head size is 22 3/4 Inches so basically between 57-58 cm. Stetson sizing puts me at 7 1/4.

I have 3 Open Road purchased within the past two years. Royal Deluxe and 2 Cowboy 6x. All of them are 7 3/8, what yes that is correct 7 3/8.

I got the Royal Deluxe first and tried it on at a store and it felt the best on my head. I did try a 7 1/4 my actual hat size and it was just too tight, felt like if I wore that a few hours it'd hurt. I cannot stand any tightness on my head.

So with that being said, the Royal Deluxe is a bit loose after wearing it a while, it hasn't shrunk at all, it touches the back of my head and the front of my head, but the hat wobbles side to side. So, I put a 4mm shim in it and it fits fine now.

The 2 Cowboy 6x fit well, one doesn't need any shim in it and one I have a 3mm shim. Both feel good and do not wobble. I can hold my head over and neither fall off.

This is why i am asking mainly about the sizing, I got burned on a Stetson Range 6x 7 3/8, thing is super huge and will NOT shrink no matter what I do. I wet the brim and crown and took a hair dryer to it, steamed it and put on a lamp shade, put in my truck window for 5 hours in the heat of the day, wet the sweatband with water until it was soaked and took a hair dryer to it, left it sitting on a vent overnight with the heat on and nada, the thing will not shrink one bit.

Here's the fun part, reading on how to get the Stetson Range to shrink, now I want to purchase an Akubra Campdraft.

I have done all I can to find out how a brand new Stetson OR vs Akubra CD size against each other. Please if anyone has knowledge on how a brand new Stetson OR(not a classic or one from 10-15 years ago) but 1 purchased in the last year or so measures up in size against an Akubra CD purchased within the past year or so.

Short Version TLDR -- Basically I need to know, if i took a normal average Stetson OR in 59 and put it against an Akubra CD in 59 will they be the same size? And I understand, all hats fit different, I have 3 new OR and all fit different, BUT they are close enough to correct.

Will an Akubra CD be the same(will it take some minor shimming to correct) or is the Akubra 59 super huge compared to OR 59?

Thank You

Don
Don,

I have several new/modern ORs in both 6X and Royal Deluxe and can confirm all your frustrations. Buying these hats online is always filled with anxiety and hope they will fit just right. The fit between the two models is also different.

I also own two CDs in 59–one I just received this week. I am a 7 3/8 99% of the time (I own a modern Stratoliner in 7 1/4 that fits perfectly). I’ve never found a 7 1/4 modern OR that fits. Well, only one that was tagged as a 7 1/4 but in reality was a 7 3/8.

The main difference between the OR and the CD is the height of the crown. ORs tend to not fit very well on folks who have “taller” heads because they “bottom out” and will sit higher and feel odd.

The nice thing about the CD is that it has a taller crown. I have a cattleman’s crease on both my CDs because I want them to look like ORs.

To answer your question, CD 59 is “true to size” for me. If worn open crown, it will feel loose because it sits lower on my head. However, it fits me just right now that it has the crease. I like that the top of my head touches the hat, by the way—some folks don’t. Keep in mind that your hairstyle/haircut will also be a factor.

Here are some photos for reference. The hat on the left is a Royal Deluxe OR in Silverbelly, the one on the right is a newly purchased CD in Sand. The second photo compares a Cognac OR with a Blue Grass Green CD. By the way, David Morgan (finally) has the Sand CD in stock again.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpeg
    IMG_3210.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3209.jpeg
    IMG_3209.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3208.jpeg
    IMG_3208.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3211.jpeg
    IMG_3211.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
Thank you Alan. It's not as stiff as others I've seen and felt at antique shops.
The 1960s saw a revival in the popularity of the derby/bowler... think The Avengers. I've only owned one from this period - a Stetson - which was indeed quite soft and could be creased if one had a mind to. Also different is the brim curl which has lost the tight lines of the d'Orsay curl seen in early 20th century derbies.

Pinbak

New in Town
Don,

I have several new/modern ORs in both 6X and Royal Deluxe and can confirm all your frustrations. Buying these hats online is always filled with anxiety and hope they will fit just right. The fit between the two models is also different.

I also own two CDs in 59–one I just received this week. I am a 7 3/8 99% of the time (I own a modern Stratoliner in 7 1/4 that fits perfectly). I’ve never found a 7 1/4 modern OR that fits. Well, only one that was tagged as a 7 1/4 but in reality was a 7 3/8.

The main difference between the OR and the CD is the height of the crown. ORs tend to not fit very well on folks who have “taller” heads because they “bottom out” and will sit higher and feel odd.

The nice thing about the CD is that it has a taller crown. I have a cattleman’s crease on both my CDs because I want them to look like ORs.

To answer your question, CD 59 is “true to size” for me. If worn open crown, it will feel loose because it sits lower on my head. However, it fits me just right now that it has the crease. I like that the top of my head touches the hat, by the way—some folks don’t. Keep in mind that your hairstyle/haircut will also be a factor.

Here are some photos for reference. The hat on the left is a Royal Deluxe OR in Silverbelly, the one on the right is a newly purchased CD in Sand. The second photo compares a Cognac OR with a Blue Grass Green CD. By the way, David Morgan (finally) has the Sand CD in stock again.

Hope this helps.
Awesome, this helped thank you so much! With what you posted and Brent you both helped, I appreciate it!

twmbiology

New in Town
I am a wildlife biologist and spend most of my time outdoors. I know too many people with skin cancer and whatnot, so I am getting serious about covering up. Currently, I have a $20 straw twister cowboy hat which is fine for a beater, but I'm not a cowboy and want to get something a little nicer particularly for the cool months. I am looking for something with at least a 3 inch brim. The Akubra campdraft gets a lot of love, but the brim is a little short and I can't find anything similar that is affordable. Silverbelly is a must and my hat size is 7 1/8.

Right now I am primarily interested in the Stetson Dune Gun Club, but what hats do you recommend?

I am a wildlife biologist and spend most of my time outdoors. I know too many people with skin cancer and whatnot, so I am getting serious about covering up. Currently, I have a $20 straw twister cowboy hat which is fine for a beater, but I'm not a cowboy and want to get something a little nicer particularly for the cool months. I am looking for something with at least a 3 inch brim. The Akubra campdraft gets a lot of love, but the brim is a little short and I can't find anything similar that is affordable. Silverbelly is a must and my hat size is 7 1/8.

Right now I am primarily interested in the Stetson Dune Gun Club, but what hats do you recommend?
You will never go wrong with an Akubra. Best bang for your hat buck. They are not top of the line but are rugged and meant to stand up to weather and abuse. Look at buying one direct from Australia.....Hats Direct or Everything Australian are two quality sellers. Campdraft brim is 2 7/8 wide. What width do you want? Akubra Riverina gives you lots of brim and is much cheaper than the Stetson.

Sounds like the discontinued Akubra Bushman is what you’re looking for.

I think the Stetson Gun Club might work well for you. It’s not a gem, but it’s serviceable and of decent quality. The Dune is sort of a scaled down western or a fedora-come-cowboy hat. There was a time when their sweatbands were were terrible, but the think they have that sorted. If you like the style then why not?

Craquet96

New in Town
Hey so I currently have a 35 year old 10x beaver Resistol and was curious if I were to buy a hat of the same quality today how many X’ would I be looking at? This hat has been great to me and lower quality hats just don’t feel the same

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It's hard to make equivalencies across decades. Even 35 years is considered "modern" to most of us here. Quality took a big dive during the 60s, some might even say the 50s, so most of us hunt for hats from the 1950s and older. BTW, as you will read if you spend some time on TFL, the "X" count for felt hats is more of a marketing gimmick and has little if any relation to beaver content.

There are a few nice Excellent Quality Stetsons to be had, but, for the price, some of the best 100% beaver hats can be had from some of the top hatters for under $450 US., even some beaver blends for under $400.

Welcome to the Lounge.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hard to answer. I can say I like my somewhat recent Resistol 10x Cogburn. It has held up well as a rain hat. I have ironed the brim down flat a few times, but I've gotten it pretty soaked.

SnowyViking

New in Town
Hi.I'm new here and I joined because I love hats and I'm now trying to find out how to fill in holes in one of my hats which has a chin strap so I wondered if anyone had any ideas? :)

20231204_192250.jpg

20231204_192234.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I'll let the experts jump in but I'm not sure it would be worth the time, trouble or effort. The hat probably has more value in its original configuration, so why not invest in another good used hat. There are a lot of decent western hats on the used market that won't break the bank.

SnowyViking

New in Town
I have only ordered from a few hat stores before and here in Norway we have only a very few stores so it's rather difficult to find a place to buy one. I wanted to remove the chin strap cause I have a beard and it's in the way but if it was possible to glue it inside the hat then maybe.

Hi.I'm new here and I joined because I love hats and I'm now trying to find out how to fill in holes in one of my hats which has a chin strap so I wondered if anyone had any ideas? :)

View attachment 566983

View attachment 566984

I have a couple similar hats. Removing the straps / stampede sting is simple, but filling in the grommeted holes is not. I’d just live with the holes. Ideally, my uniform hats wouldn’t have the holes either, but they are mostly innocuous, and mine are larger and more prominent than yours. I’d say to just live with the holes.

I have a couple similar hats. Removing the straps / stampede sting is simple, but filling in the grommeted holes is not. I’d just live with the holes. Ideally, my uniform hats wouldn’t have the holes either, but they are mostly innocuous, and mine are larger and more prominent than yours. I’d say to just live with the holes.
I agree. I just made a hat for a fellow that wanted 3 grommets added to each side as venting. If you wanted to remove the leather just cut it out. Then you could add one or two more grommets and you have venting.

Bry88

New in Town
I am just looking for any information at all on this hat

Attachments

• ASTRO_55R_12082023_163107~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163107~2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 43
  • ASTRO_55R_12082023_163142~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163142~2.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ASTRO_55R_12082023_163133~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163133~2.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ASTRO_55R_12082023_163057~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163057~2.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 42
  • ASTRO_55R_12082023_163051~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163051~2.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 37
  • ASTRO_55R_12082023_163102~2.jpg
    ASTRO_55R_12082023_163102~2.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 35

thevolunteer

New in Town
Thanks in advance for helping me navigate some new territory. I’ve been poking around here for a long time but this is my first post.

Several years ago I started wearing a Panama as a way to survive being bald in the sunny south, and now it’s something I’m never without. For awhile I’ve been looking for a felt hat for the cooler months, but I’ve been running into trouble. For one thing, I live nowhere near any hat shops or hatters. I also have a big head (7 5/8), so vintage has proven difficult. I’m interested in trying a custom order, but I could really use some help figuring out how to translate what I’m looking for into measurements I can give a hatter.

I’m slim, just under 6’. Full crowns overwhelm my frame. I'm better suited by something tapered. My two Panamas have 2 1/4” brims. I’m leaning toward nudging that up to 2 3/8”. It’s crown height I’m struggling with. My most flattering Panama is a cheap teardrop that can’t be de-creased. As creased, it’s 4” in front and back, about 4 3/4” at the highest mid point. Uncreased I’m guessing it would be somewhere between 5– 5 1/2”?

The full crown height preoccupies me because I’d love an open crown hat, ideally something a little a lighter in weight that has a bit more casual sprezzatura and is potentially easier to travel with. The two closest models for what I’m dreaming of are the Optimo Mundo and the Gannon Burnside.

What’s puzzling me is that while the brim sizes are pretty close to one another (2 3/8 for Optimo, 2 5/8 for Gannon), there’s a major difference in the listed crown height. To my untrained eye it also looks like the Mundo is tapered whereas the Burnside is straight sided?

Are both hatters measuring crown height in the same way? Can the Mundo really be only 4”? As an experiment I tried center-creasing a 4” flat top Panama I have and it scraped the top of my head.

The discrepancy between the two is really throwing me off and making me doubt what crown height I need.

Based on all this (apologies for the length), do you have any collective wisdom about the crown height/type of taper that would best serve me and be properly proportional?

Thanks in advance for helping me navigate some new territory. I’ve been poking around here for a long time but this is my first post.

Several years ago I started wearing a Panama as a way to survive being bald in the sunny south, and now it’s something I’m never without. For awhile I’ve been looking for a felt hat for the cooler months, but I’ve been running into trouble. For one thing, I live nowhere near any hat shops or hatters. I also have a big head (7 5/8), so vintage has proven difficult. I’m interested in trying a custom order, but I could really use some help figuring out how to translate what I’m looking for into measurements I can give a hatter.

I’m slim, just under 6’. Full crowns overwhelm my frame. I'm better suited by something tapered. My two Panamas have 2 1/4” brims. I’m leaning toward nudging that up to 2 3/8”. It’s crown height I’m struggling with. My most flattering Panama is a cheap teardrop that can’t be de-creased. As creased, it’s 4” in front and back, about 4 3/4” at the highest mid point. Uncreased I’m guessing it would be somewhere between 5– 5 1/2”?

The full crown height preoccupies me because I’d love an open crown hat, ideally something a little a lighter in weight that has a bit more casual sprezzatura and is potentially easier to travel with. The two closest models for what I’m dreaming of are the Optimo Mundo and the Gannon Burnside.

What’s puzzling me is that while the brim sizes are pretty close to one another (2 3/8 for Optimo, 2 5/8 for Gannon), there’s a major difference in the listed crown height. To my untrained eye it also looks like the Mundo is tapered whereas the Burnside is straight sided?

Are both hatters measuring crown height in the same way? Can the Mundo really be only 4”? As an experiment I tried center-creasing a 4” flat top Panama I have and it scraped the top of my head.

The discrepancy between the two is really throwing me off and making me doubt what crown height I need.

Based on all this (apologies for the length), do you have any collective wisdom about the crown height/type of taper that would best serve me and be properly proportional?
For a modest bash, I as a custom hat maker, allow for about an inch of open crown to achieve that. So for a finished creased hat with a simple centre dent 4 1/2" at the front I would block it to 5 1/2" to 5 3/4". I would be pleased to walk you through this (no obligation) so you can order what you desire from whichever hatter you choose. Send me a DM.
A question to address separate from height is the tapered crown or a straight sided full crown. The full crown will look much more imposing at the same height as will the tapered one.
4" is a very short crown and I would suggest you want taller than that. A crown can be adjusted easily by 1/4" by you. So if you try a 4 1/2" crown as bashed and you find it too tall it is easy to drop it down to 4 1/4".

Bayou1000

New in Town
I was trying to get a pretty big sweat stain out with baby powder. I accidentally used a very slightly damp cloth, and now the baby powder is caked in. Tried soap and water, tried sandpaper. Nothing works. Is there anything I can do? Any dyes, try rubbing alcohol, anything at all!? I’ve looked everywhere, and nothing has given me an answer. Please help!!

Here is what the fedora looks like now
:(
IMG_3986.jpeg

I was trying to get a pretty big sweat stain out with baby powder. I accidentally used a very slightly damp cloth, and now the baby powder is caked in. Tried soap and water, tried sandpaper. Nothing works. Is there anything I can do? Any dyes, try rubbing alcohol, anything at all!? I’ve looked everywhere, and nothing has given me an answer. Please help!!

Here is what the fedora looks like now
:(
View attachment 571005

A bath in naphtha (white gas or camp fuel is pretty close) may rinse those baby powder particles out. No guarantee as this is a new one on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner