Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That would be horrible.
I never particularly cared for those bumps or warts or whatever, on the right side of his face.
It would be much better if half of us looked like Paul Newman.

Redford turned 48 the year that "The Natural" was released. Hardly what most people would call "young".

Gee whiz. Poor Redford.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Hey guys I'm a newbie here. Awesome site. I'm looking for a hat I can't find but I know you have more places to look than I do. Looking for the hat or one close to what Robert Redford wore in the movie the natural. I'll try to attach a photo thanks in advance

I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned that vintage-style standby, the Akubra Federation IV. Fairly tall crown (open, easy to shape any way you like), no taper, mid-size brim (though not overwelt). Comes in several colors, about $140 including shipping (for the regular grade Imperial felt) from http://hatsdirect.com/federation/specifications.html.

I just got a Moonstone gray Fed IV (after reading many positive comments here) and I love it.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I would agree with Weinstein that the Fed IV is another possibility, but the particular shade of brown in the felt with the unbound and oblong cut brim are issues. I still think that the easiest options are the Miller's.

The one photo has a low crown, (looks to me to have a raw edge) and taper which puts the Sinatra right in line.

The older and more worn "Natural" hat is a bit harder to reproduce with a high crown, overwelt edge and color. The Miller is fairly high, though not as high as the Fed, but the felt color is much closer. The Miller Adventurer which does not have that much taper to it, but looks that way due to the crease in the photo. If creased as was done in the movie, I think that it would not be far from the desired look - but a tad lower.

The point is that while you cannot easily duplicate these two dissimilar hats without a lot of expense, you can get reasonably close to the hats with these options. You can also go custom from some of the skilled hatters here. It just depends on your money, skills and desire.

Good luck - share photos.

Fed

johanhej

Familiar Face
Hi,

I've been looking at different hats for quite some time, but it seems like a tough thing to get into. Well sorted shops aren't too common, so trying and feeling the actual hats can be troublesome.

Basically, what I am looking for is something relatively simple and easy-going, like the Stetson Open Road.
TFROPR-Stetson-Hats-Silverbelly.jpg

I have seen some other collabs that Stetson have done with other companies, like the one below.
1490280479.jpg

Also really liked the hat Mr Cooper wore in "A star is born". Most particulary the leather band of it.
bradley-cooper-and-lukas-nelson-credit-Neal-Preston-Warner-Bros-Ent-bb21-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

I'm very considerate about quality but at this point I am not in a position where I can tell the good from the bad. Reading up on Stetson hats, there seems to be a pretty bad rap about the modern day quality, whereas people opt for the older, vintage stuff. Vintage is surely an alternative, but I'd imagine the hunting process would be pretty unpredictable and I couple probably not be so picky about styling.

So, regarding the Stetson quality, the first hat is 6x fur, the second is 5x fur. This should say something, but many says it really doesn't and that it more comes down to different batches of fur etc as to what the quality actually is.

I have looked at the Akubra hats, which I've gotten the sense that they are kind of on par with Stetson (people really do some biased in this on different forums). The Akrubras do look nice, but I am not too much of a fan of the side holes on these. I prefer just having them plain.

So, buying my first hat, preferrably under 250 dollars, absolute max 300, which brands should I be looking at and should I consider anything particular?
Is the modern day Stetson considered decent bang for buck, or should I look elsewhere?
Can you advice on anything particular which is similar to linked hats?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting my first one.

Hi,

I've been looking at different hats for quite some time, but it seems like a tough thing to get into. Well sorted shops aren't too common, so trying and feeling the actual hats can be troublesome.

Basically, what I am looking for is something relatively simple and easy-going, like the Stetson Open Road.
TFROPR-Stetson-Hats-Silverbelly.jpg

I have seen some other collabs that Stetson have done with other companies, like the one below.
1490280479.jpg

Also really liked the hat Mr Cooper wore in "A star is born". Most particulary the leather band of it.
bradley-cooper-and-lukas-nelson-credit-Neal-Preston-Warner-Bros-Ent-bb21-2018-billboard-1548.jpg

I'm very considerate about quality but at this point I am not in a position where I can tell the good from the bad. Reading up on Stetson hats, there seems to be a pretty bad rap about the modern day quality, whereas people opt for the older, vintage stuff. Vintage is surely an alternative, but I'd imagine the hunting process would be pretty unpredictable and I couple probably not be so picky about styling.

So, regarding the Stetson quality, the first hat is 6x fur, the second is 5x fur. This should say something, but many says it really doesn't and that it more comes down to different batches of fur etc as to what the quality actually is.

I have looked at the Akubra hats, which I've gotten the sense that they are kind of on par with Stetson (people really do some biased in this on different forums). The Akrubras do look nice, but I am not too much of a fan of the side holes on these. I prefer just having them plain.

So, buying my first hat, preferrably under 250 dollars, absolute max 300, which brands should I be looking at and should I consider anything particular?
Is the modern day Stetson considered decent bang for buck, or should I look elsewhere?
Can you advice on anything particular which is similar to linked hats?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to getting my first one.

The Stetson Royal De Luxe Open Road hats are nice and deserve your consideration. Vintage are still better, but the pitfalls are legion! The modern 6X is a stiff western type of felt and not my cup of tea. I don’t know about the 5X hats.

The Akubra Camp Draft is a hat worthy of consideration. Unlike many of the western Akubra hats, the Camp Draft does not have ventilation holes.

I’ll also mention that there are a few custom hatters within your price range. If you don’t end up with a vintage hat, a custom would be the best quality hat you’re going to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johanhej

Familiar Face
The Stetson Royal De Luxe Open Road hats are nice and deserve your consideration. Vintage are still better, but the pitfalls are legion! The modern 6X is a stiff western type of felt and not my cup of tea. I don’t know about the 5X hats.

The Akubra Camp Draft is a hat worthy of consideration. Unlike many of the western Akubra hats, the Camp Draft does not have ventilation holes.

I’ll also mention that there are a few custom hatters within your price range. If you don’t end up with a vintage hat, a custom would be the best quality hat you’re going to find.

Thanks for response. My understanding is that the Royal deluxe actually has the 6x felt. It'd be nice to go feel some hats just to get to know how they should actually behave.

I like the Camp Draft aswell, but I think the crown may be too tall for me, and it would require reshaping (I prefer the ingress on the Open Road).

Can you please suggest on some custom hats that'd be approriate? Preferably around Michigan.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for response. My understanding is that the Royal deluxe actually has the 6x felt. It'd be nice to go feel some hats just to get to know how they should actually behave.

I like the Camp Draft aswell, but I think the crown may be too tall for me, and it would require reshaping (I prefer the ingress on the Open Road).

Can you please suggest on some custom hats that'd be approriate? Preferably around Michigan.

All the fur formulations are a "trade secret," and what an X means today is not what an X meant 50+ years ago. So, nobody can really say for sure what the difference is. A vintage 3x is a very nice hat indeed. Far superior to a modern 6x. Many of us consider the 7x Clear Beaver to be the finest production hat.

That caveat having been said, I don't think 6x and Royal Deluxe are the same. For one, they offer both a 6x and Royal Deluxe open road currently. For another, the Royal Deluxe was reintroduced to the Stetson line by their former lead, Matt Deckard, who posts here on occasion, so we do know that was his effort formulated for the return of open crown hats.

I think 5x is actually a wool/fur blend. The only modern example I have is a modern cavalry hat and it feels substantially coarser than any of my other modern hats.

Last edited:

The Royal De Luxe Open Road is far superior than the 6X, unless you want a stiff/firm felt hat. Actually, I don’t know if Stetson is still offering the Royal De Luxe...it came last year and looks to be gone again. Maybe on the secondary market, the outlets, etc.?

If the Camp Draft has too much crown for you then you should consider the Stetson Premier Stratoliner (only the Premier). Slightly lower crown, slightly narrower brim, but still a great vintage proportioned hat and the felt, while a winter weight, is usually quite nice. Or you could get a Camp Draft and lower the crown height by deepening the crease.

Good luck.

One more thing: don’t be surprised if one of the bartenders (site moderators) merges your thread into an existing thread. It’s just a way to keep the forum from becoming too cluttered.

Cheers

Edward

Bartender
The Royal De Luxe Open Road is far superior than the 6X, unless you want a stiff/firm felt hat. Actually, I don’t know if Stetson is still offering the Royal De Luxe...it came last year and looks to be gone again. Maybe on the secondary market, the outlets, etc.?

If the Camp Draft has too much crown for you then you should consider the Stetson Premier Stratoliner (only the Premier). Slightly lower crown, slightly narrower brim, but still a great vintage proportioned hat and the felt, while a winter weight, is usually quite nice. Or you could get a Camp Draft and lower the crown height by deepening the crease.

Good luck.

A big part of the Campdraft's apparent height is the thin ribbon. At least, my Campdraft Deluxe is not actually really any taller than my Federations, it just looks so because the latter have much deeper ribbons. A 2" ribbon on the CD coulds be a way of giving it less perceptible height if that is what you want.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
I'll be attending a number of jazz events in the coming months and I'd like to pick up either a medium or stingy brim fedora/trilby/porkpie to wear to them. My biggest questions are color, brim size and bash -- fedora, porkpie, etc.

For the most part I will be wearing nice walking shorts, jeans or khakis to these events. The weather is very moderate here so either a felt or straw would work -- I sorta prefer felts.

FWIW, I'm dark complected (Latino), over 6' tall and quite stocky. Thanks!

One quick note. For you fellow huge heads out there (I wear a size 7 7/8 or 8 Tilley or New Era ball cap), the XXL and even XL fedoras/trilbys/porkpies from makers like Dobbs and Brixton fit me with room to spare. Yes, I'm amazed too...

I'll be attending a number of jazz events in the coming months and I'd like to pick up either a medium or stingy brim fedora/trilby/porkpie to wear to them. My biggest questions are color, brim size and bash -- fedora, porkpie, etc.

For the most part I will be wearing nice walking shorts, jeans or khakis to these events. The weather is very moderate here so either a felt or straw would work -- I sorta prefer felts.

FWIW, I'm dark complected (Latino), over 6' tall and quite stocky. Thanks!

One quick note. For you fellow huge heads out there (I wear a size 7 7/8 or 8 Tilley or New Era ball cap), the XXL and even XL fedoras/trilbys/porkpies from makers like Dobbs and Brixton fit me with room to spare. Yes, I'm amazed too...

I don’t know if you like Milan, but I have a 7 7/8 for sale:

2f9053f5e1760b00ddff8e2eff8152d2.jpg

e5259db89338e01ab00f92c2b2a90adb.jpg

You can find it at the liked classifieds:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/biltmore-7-7-8-or-63-cm-milan-straw-hat.97216/

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fellow huge head? We just need a larger vessel to carry all that brain around. Hats are just like any other attire that's in your wardrobe, if you like it, wear it. There is, in your State of California, a fabulous hat emporium called The Village Hat Shop, have a look at their website: https://www.villagehatshop.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkca8x5i64gIVCpztCh0qLgweEAAYASAAEgIG__D_BwE
A couple of years ago I bought a fedora from them, there was a few queries that I had so I phoned them. Perhaps they were flattered to receive a phone call from a customer in England, I kid myself, but they were helpfulness itself.
If you like the trilby/stingy brim, there is one master of that hat who can show you it's merits.
sinatra trilby.jpg
Happy hat shopping, do let us know what you choose.

Abraham

One of the Regulars
That's a beautiful hat, but I'm really looking for something "jazzier", plus I already have something fairly similar. Thanks for sharing.

Just shamelessly promoting my hat for sale. :)

As for your questions, it all depends on what you like. If you like the look then what else matters...unless you’re married than she is what matters. I’ll say that bigger guys, of which I am one, tend to look better in hats with more square inches of felt than your typical stingy brim fedora. Jazz clubs back in the day certainly had some wide brim/tall crown patrons; musicians too. Stingy brims with their frequent low crowns look best, in my opinion, on our svelte brethren.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
Remember Jazz eras went from somewhere around 1920 up until the 70's and is still going to some extent! That covers quite a few styles. You got swing, big band, bebop, cool, post bop, jazz fusion and more.
Thelonious Monk was a great jazz hatter.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just shamelessly promoting my hat for sale. :)

As for your questions, it all depends on what you like. If you like the look then what else matters...unless you’re married than she is what matters. I’ll say that bigger guys, of which I am one, tend to look better in hats with more square inches of felt than your typical stingy brim fedora. Jazz clubs back in the day certainly had some wide brim/tall crown patrons; musicians too. Stingy brims with their frequent low crowns look best, in my opinion, on our svelte brethren.

I couldn't agree more. I'm a 7 7/8 Brainiac myself and, although I like skimpies, I look terrible in them. Not only your size, but the kind of face you have matters too. Guys with thinner faces look fine in shorter brims, and those with wider faces with wider ones. Of course, there's no substitute for trying a hat on in front of a mirror, which doesn't lie. BTW, have you checked out Art Fawcett's jazz musician line? Some very cool things there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk