Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Here are some examples of my Grey and Tan Akubras.

3ABDED92-052A-4710-BAF9-6384192D6319.jpeg

From left to right:
Fed IV in Moonstone
Stylemaster in Carbon Grey
Fed IV in Tawny Fawn
Sydney in Regency Fawn

Steven

Here are some examples of my Grey and Tan Akubras.

View attachment 219362
From left to right:
Fed IV in Moonstone
Stylemaster in Carbon Grey
Fed IV in Tawny Fawn
Sydney in Regency Fawn

Steven
I dug out my old Akubra Sydney (Regency Fawn) just now....it is a damn fine hat. The felt is actually very good and it deserves more head time

Rapier

New in Town
Thanks again for the suggestions and sending me down some forum rabbit trails I had not read before.
I have ordered the Akubra Stylemaster in Bluegrass Green. If the summer humidity in NC gets to be too much (not as bad as when I lived in DC) I have my eye on a few different Panama's.
A shout out @carouselvic for the 'HAT LIFE Yearbook 1946'; style so succinctly encapsulated.

Belfastboy had mentioned a custom hat; I am definitely not adverse to one but I would prefer to be able to work with the milliner in person. Are there any forum recommended milliners near North Carolina?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Phoenix hats in Knoxville @humanshoes Rick

Thanks again for the suggestions and sending me down some forum rabbit trails I had not read before.
I have ordered the Akubra Stylemaster in Bluegrass Green. If the summer humidity in NC gets to be too much (not as bad as when I lived in DC) I have my eye on a few different Panama's.
A shout out @carouselvic for the 'HAT LIFE Yearbook 1946'; style so succinctly encapsulated.

Belfastboy had mentioned a custom hat; I am definitely not adverse to one but I would prefer to be able to work with the milliner in person. Are there any forum recommended milliners near North Carolina?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Stylemaster is a great choice. If you are used to pre-formed crowns it’s a great choice. As for sun protection I did contact Akubra years ago and they confirmed their hats are tested and have a rating of SPF 50+ so it will be good sun blocker.
Odd question. I’d this just you wanting better sun protection or has this been recommended by a dermatologist?
Johnny
Enjoy your new hat and wear it in good health. Remember to post pictures when it comes in.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not an odd question at all.
To quote Abraham, "A little from column A a little from column B"
I did have a benign carcinoma removed from my neck last year and my hair might be thinner than it was 10 years ago...
With that information keep in mind most cancer society’s recommend a hat that has been UVA and UVB tested. A brim that’s minimum of 3” wide that’s flat or curved down for maximum sun protection. I have a few Akubra outback styles that meet these requirements if I know I am going to be outside for prolonged periods. But still wear Fedoras for the rest of the time. Going to work, shopping, church. Some protection is better than no protection. Only heads up I will say is most straw/panama hat are not tested or rated. When in doubt I would contact the company if not advertised.
Enjoy your new hat and wear it in good health.
Johnny

busstonedfx

New in Town
Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here....
I have a hat style here that I think I finally settled on. Western style, not a fedora, however... but it's not a baseball cap! LOL I have my heart set on a Stetson... Good marketing, or something, but it's the one I want :p

It would be my first "classic" style hat.... but I'm totally guessing the width of the brim, and the height...

My Question: is there a Stetson model that comes stock, just like this hat? with the black ribbon as a band? I've really settled on this style... reminds me of the guy on Westworld, or Doc Holiday from Tombstone.

This Bozeman crushable hat:
https://www.stetson.com/store/bozeman-1.html

It has a 3 1/4" brim and a 4" crown.

Dimensions wise, is this the closest I can find, by Stetson, to the pic of this hat, ignoring the brown leather band? I know that crushable wool hats are frowned upon... but I don't wanna break the bank on my first experimental hat.

Assuming that I rip off the leather band, and put on a black satin ribbon on the Bozeman.... (what is this satin "ribbon" called? still a band?)

Will I end up with the same hat, dimensions/ style wise? Is there something I'm missing?

I know the lounge would prefer investing in some quality beaver fur.... but I'd just like to get my toes wet first.... I can get a great deal on a Bozeman.... or if I still went with fur felt on my first hat, I'd maybe try with a Stetson buffalo felt version first... i love buffalo as an animal, don't ask why), before splurging on anything made of beaver... but I'm still not sure of the style/dimensions.

Thank you all for the insight guys, I always value any input or opinion!

Attachments

• MIB-side-angle.jpg
    MIB-side-angle.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

busstonedfx

New in Town
The Stetson Dune looks like it, minus the feather and the JBS logo!!! Thanks for the info

It's a terrible shame for my wallet that they don't make the Stetson Dune in a cheaper buffalo felt version, I'd pay 100ish for it, but 235 would hurt me right now...
I can get that Bozeman foldable jammy for like 60 bucks, and throw a 2 ply band on it...

edit: why are these ribbon style bands so hard to find? :/ so this plan isn't feasible?

Hi everyone,
Long time lurker here....
I have a hat style here that I think I finally settled on. Western style, not a fedora, however... but it's not a baseball cap! LOL I have my heart set on a Stetson... Good marketing, or something, but it's the one I want :p

It would be my first "classic" style hat.... but I'm totally guessing the width of the brim, and the height...

My Question: is there a Stetson model that comes stock, just like this hat? with the black ribbon as a band? I've really settled on this style... reminds me of the guy on Westworld, or Doc Holiday from Tombstone.

This Bozeman crushable hat:
https://www.stetson.com/store/bozeman-1.html

It has a 3 1/4" brim and a 4" crown.

Dimensions wise, is this the closest I can find, by Stetson, to the pic of this hat, ignoring the brown leather band? I know that crushable wool hats are frowned upon... but I don't wanna break the bank on my first experimental hat.

Assuming that I rip off the leather band, and put on a black satin ribbon on the Bozeman.... (what is this satin "ribbon" called? still a band?)

Will I end up with the same hat, dimensions/ style wise? Is there something I'm missing?

I know the lounge would prefer investing in some quality beaver fur.... but I'd just like to get my toes wet first.... I can get a great deal on a Bozeman.... or if I still went with fur felt on my first hat, I'd maybe try with a Stetson buffalo felt version first... i love buffalo as an animal, don't ask why), before splurging on anything made of beaver... but I'm still not sure of the style/dimensions.

Thank you all for the insight guys, I always value any input or opinion!

Two, three, etc., cord “ribbons” are hard to find and expensive when you do. I recommend starting with a hat that has the ribbon you want.

Unless you spending close to $1000 (or even more), Stetson doesn’t offer “beaver” felt hats; however, for a small increase you can get fur felt (rabbit). I understand the desire to start with wool just for the cost savings, but fur felt will be cheaper over time.

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f19stetsonwesterndigital.pdf

The Stetson Dune looks like it, minus the feather and the JBS logo!!! Thanks for the info

It's a terrible shame for my wallet that they don't make the Stetson Dune in a cheaper buffalo felt version, I'd pay 100ish for it, but 235 would hurt me right now...
I can get that Bozeman foldable jammy for like 60 bucks, and throw a 2 ply band on it...

edit: why are these ribbon style bands so hard to find? :/ so this plan isn't feasible?

What size are you? The Dune shows up on the used market from time to time. I’d never pay full retail for it.

Edward

Bartender
If Stetson are still making the Stratoliner, there's that... (or, if you can get past the brand, there's always the Akubra Campdraft, which is bascially what they called the Stratoliner when they stopped making it for Stetson and did it for themselves).... Close to what you want, thin ribbon and all - the rest would just be gentle reshaping over some steam from a kettle. That said, I don't know if Stetson do that model in black, I don't think Akubra do, though they do do a nice dark grey.

busstonedfx

New in Town
I'm a 7 1/8 (this is my size in New Era fitted baseball caps :/ ) - I'm not sure how I feel about buying a used hat, though...

It sucks they don't have the Dune in buffalo felt... That would be awesome!

The stratoliner/campdraft have the ribbon thing I like, but the brim feels too short...

That first pic I uploaded.. is 3 1/4 inch brim a good estimate?

I don't know why, but I really want something made by Stetson...

Sorry if I'm being too picky :/

thanks for the insight everyone

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up

Tim at Pure Beaver Hat Supply sells pre-made 2 ply bows. Don't know for certain if he has black. Look him up on instagram @purebeaver.

I really would not waste any time or money on a hat that is sized "small, medium, large" but that is just me. Also, I don't know if this makes a difference for you, but JJ is 20% off the listed price right now which puts it at $188. The 5x is not spectacular felt, but I'd imagine it to be more durable than the straight wool hats.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I'm a 7 1/8 (this is my size in New Era fitted baseball caps :/ ) - I'm not sure how I feel about buying a used hat, though...

It sucks they don't have the Dune in buffalo felt... That would be awesome!

The stratoliner/campdraft have the ribbon thing I like, but the brim feels too short...

That first pic I uploaded.. is 3 1/4 inch brim a good estimate?

I don't know why, but I really want something made by Stetson...

Sorry if I'm being too picky :/

thanks for the insight everyone

edit: does anyone know the name of the hat he is holding at 10:20?

thanks!!

The hat at 10:20 is this https://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/felt-hats/products/the-outback-hat

Buffalo felt is just a coarse, very stiff wool felt. The Bozeman you're looking at ain't really quality & being wool, you won't be able to shape it more to your likeing.
If Stetson really floats your boat, then a used fur felt one from the bay would be preferable. Even an 80's 4x beaver would be better than either the Bozeman & anything in buffalo wool & a lot cheaper.

If Stetson are still making the Stratoliner, there's that... (or, if you can get past the brand, there's always the Akubra Campdraft, which is bascially what they called the Stratoliner when they stopped making it for Stetson and did it for themselves).... Close to what you want, thin ribbon and all - the rest would just be gentle reshaping over some steam from a kettle. That said, I don't know if Stetson do that model in black, I don't think Akubra do, though they do do a nice dark grey.

I think the Bushman is closer the the dimensions he’s after.

busstonedfx

New in Town
Thank you!! The guy from the video answered me too, sorry I deleted it before I saw your reply
yeah, you guys talked me out of that outback hat, and buffalo felt.
it's crazy that the 2 ply band might cost more than the entire bozeman
gonna cruise the bay again.... I hate it and love it.... Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys
might go w the bozeman to wear until i find a fur felt Dune at the right price.. it's like 50 bucks and having a beater that I can fold can't be the worst thing in the world

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner