Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I took a Gamble on a Vintage Montecristi with a history

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I just won this off Ebay. I really wanted the box and paper work.

The roan leather sweat has never even been installed.

Hard to tell from the pictures the weaves per square inch. Once I get it off to Art Fawcett for his magic. Best hat blocker I've found in 20 years.

I hope he has some 60 year old Vintage ribbon for this classic. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8175734271&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

ARCENTALES COMPANY

Is the same company that made FDR Montecrist Panama hat

Upon the death of my parents, I inherited many of these items, including a straw-colored linen Panama hat with black band made by C. A. Arcentales, Ecuador, with his name “Franklin D. Roosevelt� embossed in gold letters on the interior sweat band. I was told by my mother that Mrs. Roosevelt had told her that this particular hat had been worn by Franklin Roosevelt at the Teheran Conference in 1943.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
I'd never have considered getting an unblocked hat.

I can see from your picture you like this style of hat also.

How did you search on ebay for it??

Do you have concerns regarding fit, etc., when placing orders for items (especially hats) on the net?

Mr. 'H'.

PS - is it past your bed time? (Joke).

The hat I bought hasn't been blocked yet!

A fine Montecristi can be sized up 5 times as long as you have enough crown and brim in the hat.

It can go from the picture above to a style's like these with the proper block.

http://www.panamas.biz/hats.htm

I usually buy my Montecristi Panama hats from Panamabob a member here.

Art Fawcett is a Master hatter and makes hats and blocks them also.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

On ebay i type in Montecristi or Panama hat. Most will be blocked and have the size listed. Same with Vintage fur felt fedora's

I've been up since 4 am. :)

Victor

One of the Regulars
That looks like a sweet ebay win! I am curious what the weave is like and how it turns out. Please post pics when its blocked.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is not a lie

I also bid on an unblocked Montecristi hat about two years ago. I lost the bid by only $1. It sold for about $36.

The buyer was by coincidence local to me, and brought the hat to Art. Art suggested to the winner of the hat to send it to Graham at Optimo, because the hat appeared old and of very, very tight weave.

I did not bid too much on it as the seller did not post very good photos, and I did not want to risk getting a brittle hat, old, cracked, etc.

The hat went to Optimo, and it was reported to be a $5000 quality hat, one of the nicest vintage that they had ever seen.

I felt sick.

So, SHARPTOYS, I hope you have the luck of that previous winner.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Some news on the my gamble Montesristi.Big money

My flyer on Ebay

Optimo Hats is doing the blocking and set up.

My hatter said this hat is in the top 10 of all the Montecristi hats he has ever seen in his life. Its 75 years old and he thinks it should be sold to a Museum or a Collector.. These old fine hand made hats are really works of "Art".

I'm going to ask Zohar to help me find a Museum or a private collector for it so others can see this most beautiful treasure. Value could be up to $50,000.
I want to say in public To Robert Weber. Thank you so much with helping me get this fine old Montecristi without you teaching me what to look for in a Montecristi I would have just passed on it.

My lady has one thats 85 years old but of course not this Quality.She still loves it. I Paid $ 8.50 for it. She says maybe some movie star of that day wore it a time or two.Maybe it was in a silent movie . :)

Panamabob, books and about a million Questions has taught me so much about these hats that I have a love and a passion for them.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=2658

Zohar has been PM. I also asked Brent Black for his wisdom. I will pay a nice finders fee!. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner