Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I turn to you for help!

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Greetings, everyone!

So, I'm looking for an authentic, 30's-era vintage suit.

However, I'm rather short. I stand 5'6" or so, but I'm rather stocky at 170lbs. Last I recall, I wear a 38 short.

Edit - Live auction links are not allowed.

The measurements seem to be in order and... I'll admit... I've next to no experience sizing myself for anything like this whilst not in person.

I turn to the experts here for advice!

Please don't delete the thread

I think we can help.

but i don't quite understand what the question is. If the measurements seem to be in order, what's the question?

maybe you could take the images and post them here?

As i see it, the only really really really important measurements for shorties like us are: Shoulders (not too big!), jacket length (not too long!). if they all look right, go for the suit! You'll never look to modern RTW again.

bk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Your question is valid and you'll get good answers.

Welcome to The Fedora Lounge.

Get some help, and take several key measurements. If you have some things that you feel fit well (even if a simple sport or casual jacket), take measurements from there as well.

Measure around your chest and waist (just above the belly button). Measure across your shoulders at their highest, widest point. Measure from the distance from between your shoulder blades to your wrist bone, and from the top corner of your shoulder to your wrist bone. Overall length will need some wiggle room - this one is best from a jacket that falls correctly on you.
Get your inseam measurement, and also from your waist at the outside to just shy of the floor (outseam).

Then, start looking for garments that you like that fit those measurements. If a seller is not providing all you need, ask them for more information.

Remember that because your chest measures, say for example, 42", that doesn't mean you're a size 42. You'd probably be looking for a size 44, in that case.

I hope this helps. others will offer their own ideas, and will proably have better advice than mine. Good luck, and be patient. If you are indeed a bit on the short side, you're in luck as there's a lot more to choose from.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You should also check out Marc Chevalier's article in Issue #2 of "Classic Style" on measuring for a proper fit and purchasing over the internet.

Welcome to the Lounge. I am glad you came over here.

Best,
HJ

Gaige

One of the Regulars
I appreciate all of the input. My question, I suppose, was mainly to allow the folks here, who obviously know much more than I do about vintage clothing, to guide me (for lack of a better term) in what to look for... ie: if the suit is in decent shape for its age, etc.

I'll list the measurements listed on the auction:

JACKET:

Chest measures 38-39.

From bottom of collar to hem: 28 3/4.

Distance between shoulders: 17"

Sleeve length: 25" with 1 1/2" to let out.

TROUSERS:

Waist 34" with 1 1/4" to let out or so.

Inseam 26 1/2" with 2 1/2" hem.

Length of outside seam: 38 1/2".

Top of leg 14", bottom 9" as measured flat.

Is posting a pic from the auction permissable?

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
You should also check out Marc Chevalier's article in Issue #2 of "Classic Style" on measuring for a proper fit and purchasing over the internet.

Welcome to the Lounge. I am glad you came over here.

Best,
HJ

I appreciate you pointing me in this direction!

yes it's okay to post auction pics.

That suit is not in good condition. I would worry about the 2 mends/repairs to the leg of the trousers. They seem pretty major. Personally i would not drop money on that suit - especially given your size. These suits are super available in our size. just wait and the perfect one, 3 piece, great condition will come along.

Sure, this one will go cheap. if you want it mostly as a model from which to have copies made, go for it. But if you want one to wear, i'd say that suit is a false economy. This is the reason i had rejected it from my watch list. And the super short legs with little hope of getting much more out of them.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael