Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want THESE jackets...where can I get them!?

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
25corbis.jpg

Any have an idea where I can get a marabou (?) coat like this, I would DIE for one, even if it was a reproduction.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I want THIS jacket...where can I get one like it?!

25corbis.jpg

Any have an idea where I can get a marabou (?) coat like this, I would DIE for one, even if it was a reproduction.

Mojito

One Too Many
Perhaps Lady Day is referring to the two threads you started that have been merged, Nicoletta. Is one a duplicate?

Feather trimming, particularly ostrich and marabou, is much more common and easy to find in boudoir robes from the 1920s. I have seen a few evening coats adorned in this way, however, and they can be found in fashion illustrations, even if far, far less common that fur trimmings. In a 1924 example we find "Gold evening coat with ostrich feather collar". If they can be found, it would be in the usual sources from eBay to vintage fairs and dealers. I've seen a few examples up on eBay. I've never bought one myself, as I didn't like either the colour or there were condition issues. You might consider looking into having one made - it's not difficult to get marabou or ostrich feathers in an array of colours, and some dealers will dye them to match your specifications.

Snookie

Practically Family
It does sound really difficult to find a coat (in wearable condition) from the 20's made out of silk and feather. If you want to have one made, here's a couple patterns that might be good resources.

http://www.decadesofstyle.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=35
http://www.decadesofstyle.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=27

I've never seen any "repro" company that makes anything like that; a costume shop might, but it would probably be cheapo. I'd have a custom one made, aside from working with the feathers the labor should be cheap as it's a simple garment. My husband's got a tailor in Glendale who might be willing, if you're interested.

Idledame

Practically Family
Depending on how authentic and perfect you want it, feather boas are readily available and I would think would be fairly easy to hand sew to a kimono or cape. Depending on how many you used it would be pretty lush, though not the same quality (or price) feathers as the original. They come in alot of colors. Give it a try and show us the results! And be aware that there really would be no good way of washing or cleaning it. I have washed ostrich feathers in the past using vintage techniques, and sometimes it works and sometimes (if the feather is really dirty)it doesn't. And when it doesn't you end up with a wad of dirty feathers that is just unsavable. It makes you very impressed by how the birds always look so clean and perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav