Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ID type of blocking on a panama

lucas

New in Town
I was wondering if anyone can tell what type of blocking this is? I can't seem to find any block types that describe it. It is not entirely an optimo, but it does look similar.

panama10001-vi.jpg

panama10002-vi.jpg

panama10003-vi.jpg

panama10004-vi.jpg

panama10005-vi.jpg

Thanks.

fatwoul

Practically Family
lucas said:
I was wondering if anyone can tell what type of blocking this is? I can't seem to find any block types that describe it. It is not entirely an optimo, but it does look similar...

Looks to me like a shorter crown version of what PanamaHatsDirect call their Patron model. I don't know if this is a universally recognised name for this shape or just the name they use.

Here is their page showing some pictures of their Patron.

Hope that helps.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Lucas, the actual block that this is done on is called the "Diamond". I know, it doesn't resemble a diamond at all, but really, I have a set and they are named diamond.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Art, I have noticed some of the panamas on here say panama bob hat blocked by Art Fawcett. Is that something anyone can have done or is that just a limited thing you do?

lucas

New in Town
Art,

Thanks for the information. I love the hat shape. This hat has seen better days. Although it is generally in good shape, some of the straws in front at the top of the crown have split. They haven't broken all the way, just split. I was thinking of someday replacing the hat, maybe with a finer weave. I wanted to know if I could get this blocking duplicated.

Maybe if I break down and get a new hat I could send it to you for blocking. Thank you again.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Art, I also have a block in that style, IN MY SIZE. I've actually used it, and was pleased with the results. (It has a top piece which presses down on the top of the hat crown, but I found this piece to really be unnecessary.) Till now, I had no name to go with it. Diamond! Thank-you for coming through.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Art, I have noticed some of the panamas on here say panama bob hat blocked by Art Fawcett. Is that something anyone can have done or is that just a limited thing you do?

indycop, I only block panama's for PB or myself. I don't advertise panama's because I have no desire to compete with Robert. I occasionally do this for current clients but not normally for those outside those circumstances.

Maybe if I break down and get a new hat I could send it to you for blocking

If you buy it from PB, Lucas, I'd be happy to.

Art, I also have a block in that style, IN MY SIZE. I've actually used it, and was pleased with the results. (It has a top piece which presses down on the top of the hat crown, but I found this piece to really be unnecessary.) Till now, I had no name to go with it. Diamond! Thank-you for coming through

You're welcome JT, this is one of the styles that the tipper isn't as needed as others. Although, I still use it because it gives a "crisper" block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy