Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If Anyone Here Needs Some Computer Advice

akaBruno

Suspended
If Anyone Here Needs Some Computer Advice ...

I'm not trying to spam here... just trying to return the favors I've learned about hats here. :D

I am a proud member and moderator at MrC's Place otherwise known as MrCOMPUTER Help Forums. We were once listed on the M$ front page as,"People who like to help people." The linkage has since changed. Today you can find our over qualified bunch at www.mrcs.us

Stop by, say Hi and share your computer woes. We'd be glad to help.

Thanks all. Love the Lounge.

BRUNO

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Bruno,

Thanks for the kind offer...you may regret it! As a webmaster, I find that I know what I know, but when it comes to hardware - I'm often at a loss! :( I may come over to MrC's Place with hat in hand (so to speak!)

Welcome to the Lounge!! :cheers1:

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Alright Bruno, you asked for it... :)

I have a CD-R that I've been using to back up my files for a about 3 years.

About 8 months ago I moved across country and put only what I absolutely needed on that disc. I checked it, everything was there... great. So, sometime after the move I get a new computer and go to load all of my files onto the new machine...

Blank disc.

And no, I don't have the old hard drive.

The files are vital as they are all of my creative writing, and non-creative writing for the past 7 years.

Short of paying a great deal of money, any ideas?

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Beaucaillou,

I never asked you when you mentioned it the first time: Did you try that disc in a different machine?

Matt

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Cacklewack said:
Beaucaillou,

I never asked you when you mentioned it the first time: Did you try that disc in a different machine?

Matt

Sir, yes sir.

But only 2 so far. I should really take it out on the town and try every computer I encounter.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
That first software I linked has a trial available that allows you to see if the data is recoverable before paying the $40.

Matt

akaBruno

Suspended
M$ is how I refer to Microsoft. :D

beaucaillou:

Sorry to tell ya this bud but... I don't think that the files were ever written to the CD, or it's the wrong disk.

There are more knowlegeable people at www.mrcs.us that may have more than that. You're all welcome anytime.

BRUNO

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
akaBruno said:

beaucaillou:

Sorry to tell ya this bud but... I don't think that the files were ever written to the CD, or it's the wrong disk.

There are more knowlegeable people at www.mrcs.us that may have more than that. You're all welcome anytime.

BRUNO

even though i checked the disc after i wrote the files and they showed up?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
beaucaillou said:
even though i checked the disc after i wrote the files and they showed up?

The disc might not have been finalised when it was burnt.

What software did you use when you burnt it? Sometimes a machine with that same software can see the files, when a machine that doesnt have the software it was burnt with cannot.

Worth a try.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
The disc might not have been finalised when it was burnt.

What software did you use when you burnt it? Sometimes a machine with that same software can see the files, when a machine that doesnt have the software it was burnt with cannot.

Worth a try.

I used Nero! Interesting! This new computer doesn't have Nero... great thought. Thanks!

akaBruno

Suspended
If the files were left waiting to be written, it is possible that they are still on the old rig. But, I guess that you don't have that.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
akaBruno said:
If the files were left waiting to be written, it is possible that they are still on the old rig. But, I guess that you don't have that.

I don't. I even hung on to the hard drive for a long while after I relocated then thought, 'Eh, I won't be needing this." Meh.

akaBruno

Suspended
We're just now having a discussion at MrC's about writer problems. My theory and fix is slowing down the writing speed. Too fast causes failures.

BRUNO

beaucaillou said:
I don't. I even hung on to the hard drive for a long while after I relocated then thought, 'Eh, I won't be needing this." Meh.

Miss B, this is why some of us who spend our days shackled to the darn things like to have multiple backups. (I was in a similar situation when General Sutherland, my first laptop, bit the big one--blew my Masters thesis research, two years of my life's work, away completely. I was lucky a friend still had the copy I had asked her to give a 'sanity check', and could borrow it back to retype it all. Since then, I keep multiple backups in multiple formats, between CD, flash-drive and archived hardcopy, I try to keep one of each of everything I do.)

Can't do much more than commiserate here, but I am trying to offer as a fellow writer what sympathy my icy little serpentine heart will let me. Best wishes on this one...

rongoms

Familiar Face
OFF_TOPIC ALERT!!!

akaBruno said:

BRUNO

Ah, i see......you're refering to the company that took a chance on a young career-changing ex-cop and allowed him to have a fulfilling career while providing the public at-large the abillity to do great things on that silly little device they call the PC.

While i certainly don't begrudge anyone their opinion, but the whole M$ thing is so tired now....Microsoft and it's employees give a tremendous amount of money to charity and while yes, some MS folks make LOTS of money (alas, i was not one), MS is barely in the 60th percentile of salaries in the tech industry.

We get paid what we do cause we work damn hard. long hours, no retirement plan.....we do what we do cause we make great things to enable people to do their own great things, like post on The Fedora Lounge and shop at Aaron's Hats and Indy's store.

have i drank my kool-aid today? Yep, damn right i have.....the people who use silly infatile terms like M$ really know little or nothing about the company.....please understand bruno.....i;m not attacking you.....just that MS-is-bad mentaility.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Thread.

akaBruno

Suspended
I love WIndows. Always have. But, when I buy a product I feel as if I should be able to use it in any way I wish. With the advent of Product Activation that came with XP... well... draw your own picture and come to your own conclusions. Just ask yourself, "How many Billions does Bill really need?"

BRUNO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24