Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Wow, I think she looks better now than she did then.

On another thread, we talk about terms that have disappeared - well, in Ms. Weider's bio she refers to herself as a "supermodel" in the 1950s, I doubt that term was around then as I think that was a 1980s invention. Hence, we could have a new thread, terms that have appeared that were never there originally.

I read somewhere that she was the highest paid pinup model in the 50's. I always thought it would've been one of the ones who's managed to stay relevant in today's pop culture.

Her waist, though. Wow.

Nobert

Practically Family
For whatever reason, I've always found this picture of of the Coon Creek Girls to be disarmingly alluring.

Coon+Creek+Girls.jpg

rjb1

Practically Family
Another "librarian" who looked similar and also good was Donna Reed in "It's a Wonderful Life". (In the "No-George-Bailey" alternate-world)

She is cute. You don't come across a lot of librarian types in those old movies. I guess sapiosexuals were more of a silent minority.

My wife always jokes about my "librarian fantasy" where the girl takes off her glasses and lets down her hair. I think I got that from this movie, when Bogie propositions her for a drink (or coffee, or something).

BTW, not Maltese Falcon, it was the Big Sleep she was in.

Last edited:

newsman

One of the Regulars
I have a poster from the movie Gilda over my desk at the office.

Rita Hayworth...no question.

Red hair, green eyes, be still my beating heart.

I'll blame it on you Mame.

-newsman-

Another "librarian" who looked similar and also good was Donna Reed in "It's a Wonderful Life". (In the "No-George-Bailey" alternate-world)

I couldn't find a good photo of the scene (found a few bad ones), but in the opening scene of "Suspicion" (and in several subsequent scenes), Joan Fontaine is dressed in dowdy clothes and eyeglasses as she is playing the sheltered daughter soon to be exposed to the wily Cary Grant. She has a librarian look in these scenes, but her classic beauty subtly shines through.

CSG

Familiar Face
I always liked June Allyson. More for her voice and on-screen personality than pure looks.

And, of course, let's not forget Mary Wickes...

36800-490995.jpg

rjb1

Practically Family
Wow! Definitely agree with Gale Storm. I watch "My Little Margie", even though the plots are annoying, just to see her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto