If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Matt Deckard, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Mr Oldschool

Mr Oldschool One of the Regulars

Me too.

Others receiving honorable mention: Louise Brooks, Mae Clark, Priscilla Lane, and Bette Davis in the 30's. In the 40's, definitely Yvonne DeCarlo.

2. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Some of the women on this thread seem "of their time" and had a beauty that was, to some extent, period based, but Veronica Lake is one that you can see would have been beautiful (and crazy - she had serious mental issues, unfortunately) in any period. Not that almost all the women in this thread aren't beautiful, but you can see that there were types and kinds of looks that were in vogue that made that person hugely popular in their day, but that they might not have had that success in another period (they'd still be quite attractive in any period, but they wouldn't have had what society wanted in its beauties at that moment), but some - like Veronica Lake or Grace Kelly - would have thrived in any period. Their beauty, style, presence, personality and inner glow would have blasted through any of-the-moment prejudices and vogue.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Dennis Young

Dennis Young A-List Customer

Hard to pick just one...

I LOVE Dorothy LaMour:
    [​IMG]

Also Hedy Lamar:
    [​IMG]
    (Smart Mathematician too!)

Linda Darnell:
    [​IMG]

Gene Tierney:
    [​IMG]

Martha Vickers:
    [​IMG]

I could go on and on....

To me...these classic ladies were so much more beautiful than the actresses today. :)

4. Dennis Young

Dennis Young A-List Customer

Yep, Jennifer has that classic beauty that I think of when thinking of the ladies of the Golden Age f Hollywood. Just gorgeous!

5. Hands down:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

I saw the movie "Platinum Blonde" the other day which starred Jean Harlow, but the second female lead was Loretta Young. I knew Loretta Young mainly from "The Bishop's Wife" and some other of her 1940s movies - where she was alway an attractive, middle aged women who also appeared to have an inner beauty in a quiet character-based way driven by intelligence and compassion.

Having now seen a 1931 version of Loretta Young, I have seen her physical attractiveness in its youthful moment - and she is stunning to look at, but what also struck me was that she had that same inner beauty trait from "The Bishop's Wife" where - true or not - she appears to be smart and understanding. She is not an in-your-face beauty like Rita Hayworth, nor a sizzling sexual beauty like, well, her co-star in "Platinum Blonde" Jean Harlow, nor does she have the overwhelming beauty of a Grace Kelly - she has an understated beauty (again) driven by a look that speaks to intelligence and character.

Also, she has something that could be an interesting sub-thread for this thread - looks that matured well as she aged. Katherine Hepburn's looks also matured well. It's one thing to have your moment of youth and beauty, but a more impressive thing to have decades of appeal.

7. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Dorothy Coonan Wellman had a very natural charm... and even looked great in men´s workwear clothes.

Too bad she didn´t make any more films after 1933 (apart from playing a nurse in a war movie in 1945) as
    I liked her acting in The Wild Boys of the Road (1933):

[​IMG]

She also was one of the money-girls in Gold Diggers of 1933:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  8. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion Call Me a Cab

Rhonda Fleming. Had a crush on her since I was nine and saw her in "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," with Crosby.

Rhonda Fleming.jpg

9. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

Martha Tilton.
    [​IMG]

10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Janet Leigh....

Janet-Leigh.jpg

Annex - Leigh, Janet (Jet Pilot)_02.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  11. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Bettie Page. My wife could have passed for her twin sister...

[​IMG]

12. Dolores Moran. Sexy before her time. Howard Hawks thought so much of her that he cheated on his wife with her (after Lauren Bacall turned him down). Dolores was so unforgettable to men that in 1968 she inherited $250,000 from a deceased bachelor whom she had met while working as a car hop in 1939!

aahawks2.jpg

Annex - Moran, Dolores_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  13. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Taking nothing away from Dolores Moran - getting Howard Hughes to cheat on someone with you was not the hard skill; the hard skill was getting him not to cheat on you.

14. Howard Hawks, though the same principle probably applied.

15. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Yes - good catch and good point.

16. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife One of the Regulars

Audrey Hepburn and Doris Day.

audrey2-580x400.jpg doris-day1.jpg

17. Sylvesterd

Sylvesterd Familiar Face

The "natural look" - always liked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. vintage.vendeuse

vintage.vendeuse A-List Customer

I have always wished that I looked like Grace Kelly.

grk1_11.jpg

19. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

My girlfriend has said that Grace Kelly makes her want to quit trying. And my girlfriend does not mean it in a jealous way, just as high praise acknowledging that Grace Kelly got it all right looks-wise. I couldn't agree more. While I think she looks fantastic in all her movies, it says something that she is still jaw-dropping in "The Country Girl" where they try to make her look dowdy. And, then, she is in the most visually beautiful move of all time - "To Catch a Thief." Regarding that movie, once again, I quote my girlfriend, "darn her, she can even look elegant and beautiful eating fried chicken."