Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I had to pick one girl from the golden era

Macheath

One of the Regulars
She was an absolute doll

250px-Priscilla_Lane_Cowboy_from_Brooklyn_trailer.jpg

Shirin

A-List Customer
Kadri said:
It would be Mr.Astaire for me,too.
He must be to blame for my fascination with tall,extremely lean,slightly balding men ;)
I can and will watch every single movie with him in it-even the cringe-worthy Funny Face.

And his voice...sigh...

Now ask me about today's 'stars' ...:eusa_doh: -I don't have a crush on ANY of them...
Me too, who can't watch his dancing. My vote is for Astaire as well.

Same here. I mean, some are attractive enough but there's no substance to them! No real talents as far as dancing and singing go! I don't watch many current flicks except the ones with Vintage appeal like Changeling and The Notebook. If I were to go for women (if I were a man of course) I don't think I could take my eyes off Rita Hayworth. Or Vera Ellen ( I know she came in at the end Golden Era) but she is really something special.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
jazzncocktails said:
And while a little late for the Golden Era, there's always Sophia Lauren...as long as the camera didn't go too close, she looked great at the Oscars this year.

I agree with you on Sophia Loren not photographing well up close, or from the side for that matter. I can't get past the overbite...there were many women from the Golden Era who were more beautiful.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I believe Mr. Astaire was only 5'9", not that tall for stars back then. Even in a couple of his films, the height of his partners was a concern. Watch the last big dance scene of him with Ann Miller in "Easter Parade". When she is soloing, she has heels on, when dancing with Fred she has on flats! The height issue of his partners was woven into the storyline of "The Band Wagon", with partner Cyd Charisse.

Kadri said:
... Mr.Astaire for me,too.
He must be to blame for my fascination with tall,extremely lean,slightly balding men ;)
I can and will watch every single movie with him in it-even the cringe-worthy Funny Face.

And his voice...sigh...

0000383040-04206L.jpg

cecil

A-List Customer
cgab1 said:
jazzncocktails said:
I agree with you on Sophia Loren not photographing well up close, or from the side for that matter. I can't get past the overbite...there were many women from the Golden Era who were more beautiful.

Gene Tierney had an overbite and I think she's got the prettiest face the camera ever laid eyes on! :D

Perhaps I'm biased though as i have an overbite too...

cecil said:
Gene Tierney had an overbite and I think she's got the prettiest face the camera ever laid eyes on! :D

Perhaps I'm biased though as i have an overbite too...
Could it be "degree of overbite", though? Neither yours nor Gene's look bad, I'd suspect the catch is how it interacts with the rest of the facial structures. 'Package deal' rather than a single piece, I guess I'm trying to suggest...;)

----------------
Now playing: History Channel Club - Holst: The Planets, Op. 32 - Mars
via FoxyTunes

cgab1

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
cecil said:
Could it be "degree of overbite", though? Neither yours nor Gene's look bad, I'd suspect the catch is how it interacts with the rest of the facial structures. 'Packaged seal' rather than a single piece, I guess I'm trying to suggest...;)

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Sophia is still beautiful, but I think she is a tad overrated when she is described as "one of the most beautiful women in the world", IMO.

Also, it's true, not all overbites are unattractive.

cecil

A-List Customer
Diamondback said:
cecil said:
Could it be "degree of overbite", though? Neither yours nor Gene's look bad, I'd suspect the catch is how it interacts with the rest of the facial structures. 'Package deal' rather than a single piece, I guess I'm trying to suggest...;)

----------------
via FoxyTunes

Oh I was just being silly, really, but I see what you mean. Sofia has really strong features (i'm not just talking about her face, ha!), maybe just it's all too much to some eyes.

JennyLou

Practically Family
My, so many wonderful men of the Golden Era to pick. I would pick Jimmy Stewart or William Powell. I also find myself very attracted to Jack Carson. But in the end I'm more of the gal to like the simple, plain, non-famous average Joe.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
I believe Mr. Astaire was only 5'9", not that tall for stars back then. Even in a couple of his films, the height of his partners was a concern. Watch the last big dance scene of him with Ann Miller in "Easter Parade". When she is soloing, she has heels on, when dancing with Fred she has on flats! The height issue of his partners was woven into the storyline of "The Band Wagon", with partner Cyd Charisse.

Was he really? That's actually quite a bit taller than I always thought of him as. But I don't think his height, whatever it was, detracted from his appeal. Such a talent, and that he was so handsome and suave is just a bonus.
My personal favorite from the Golden Era is Tyrone Power. And the loveliest lady was Greta Garbo.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I don't have time to read the whole thread, but my vote goes to Lauren Bacall, in To Have and Have Not. She was 19 when she did that movie and met Bogart for the first time.

Shirin

A-List Customer
I don't think Astaire is particularly all that handsome, that would be (for me at least) Dennis Morgan, ~~sigh~~ but Fred was such a great dancer it would be hard to choose between looks or entertainment value!
6522713_1035057003.jpg

Havana Joe

Familiar Face
WOW

I hadn't seen Hedy Lamarr before, but man, I just had a whole bunch of really pleasant bad thoughts!

But my favorite is Maureen Ohara. WOW! I loved her in The Quiet Man-a woman who knew how to be a woman, and could hold her own. She had a perfect mix of innocence and sexyness.
I always crack up when she tells her 'brother' while ready to brain him with a pitcher "You do and there'll be a fine wake in this house!"
Now, if I could find a woman like that, and a little house like "White of morn"...:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21